Week Thirteen: Detroit Lions (8-3) @ New Orleans Saints (5-6)

MichiganCardinal

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

By letter of the law, it was absolutely the correct call, and like I said during the game - I would be pissed if I was a Saints fan and had to watch Jameis Winston throw the football because my QB got knocked out of the game because of that hit.

I don't think it's that hard to ask him to just toss Carr to the side instead of landing directly on him like that. Maybe I shouldn't comment on the difficulty of the position, but at least it seems like most other edge rushers are able to do so successfully. 

I expect a fine for that hit. He drove him into the ground, did not attempt to roll off at all.

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

By letter of the law, it was absolutely the correct call...

I agree that it was the right call according to the rule, I'm just saying that I think the rule is dumb. I think the "kid gloves" approach to protecting QBs is getting silly. I understand why the NFL is doing it, I just don't like it.

I try to be a realist when it comes to the Lions - We've all been burnt so many times - but I cannot for the life of me figure out why some people do nothing but bitch about this team.  The hyperbole is beyond ridiculous & the fact that when things are going well you hear CRICKETS .. 1 bad thing & they're the worst team in history. Why follow a team that makes you like this?  & if you like the team, for crying out loud SHOW IT ONCE!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I try to be a realist when it comes to the Lions - We've all been burnt so many times - but I cannot for the life of me figure out why some people do nothing but bitch about this team.  The hyperbole is beyond ridiculous & the fact that when things are going well you hear CRICKETS .. 1 bad thing & they're the worst team in history. Why follow a team that makes you like this?  & if you like the team, for crying out loud SHOW IT ONCE!

Agreed! 9-3 folks, 9-3........... When is the last time we had more than 9 wins in season? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

I go to two games a year living in BFE nowhere Minnesota. Pay for Sunday ticket, by their merch. Watched every game for 25 years.  If that ain’t showing it what’s your definition, saying nice things on a message board? People can say whatever they want. This team is teetering on a defensive implosion.  Everyone recognizes they are good, but they also recognize if things don’t change they will give up 50 in their lone home playoff game.  

Edited by TP_Fan

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

My only explanation is that it is a show. How extreme can the post be, then go farther. There is no reasonable reason to expect otherwise, but I have also heard “you can’t reason with the unreasonable “…evidence above.

The ignore function seems to work well. 

Edited by KnoxP

17 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm concerned about not having Ben Johnson dial up tight window throws into triple coverage. 

This is an amazing throw... this is one of those where I'm just in awe... like, how the heck did he get it in there? Goff certainly hasn't been perfect (what QB ever is?), but damn man. You keep throwing like that and I'll have a very hard time ever wanting to replace you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TP_Fan said:

As an aside anyone who uses an ignore function on a sports message board is soft af.  

Wrong. Look, I'll defend you, TP, in the game threads. I've said a million times: What happens during the game stays during the game. We're all a little crazy while the game is on and that's fine.

But the whole point of the ignore function is so people can AVOID getting into little ticky-tack flame wars. If a person gets rubbed the wrong way by a specific person then use the ignore. That's way the feature is there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

The overall negativity is what wears on me, not singling out any one poster cause alot of people are like this, hell I'm guilty of it at times too but going through posts even after we win that are doom and gloom just gets tiresome to me. 

I don't expect every post to be a ra ra cheerleader post but jeez this is probably the best Lions team we've seen in decades yet instead of enjoying it its continuous posts about the flaws of the team.

Ffs can't we just have some positive posts that point out the things they did or are doing well? Or players that played well instead of just focusing on the guys or things that haven't been good?

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I don't expect every post to be a ra ra cheerleader post but jeez this is probably the best Lions team we've seen in decades yet instead of enjoying it its continuous posts about the flaws of the team.

I suspect part of this is the old: "Everyone driving slower than me is being way too cautious and everyone driving faster than me is a crazy idiot"-syndrome.

I suspect part of this is that it's often easier to talk about negative things than positives.

I suspect part of this is Lions fans being shell shocked by so many awful years that we're just waiting for the next bad thing.

And I suspect part of this is that the Lions haven't played really well for the month or so. They've played well enough to win but they haven't dominated like I'd like to see. Maybe this is just normal for good teams? Maybe most games aren't blow outs even by really good teams and we (jaded Lions fans) just need to learn what it's like to be a fan of a good team?

2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I suspect part of this is the old: "Everyone driving slower than me is being way too cautious and everyone driving faster than me is a crazy idiot"-syndrome.

I suspect part of this is that it's often easier to talk about negative things than positives.

I suspect part of this is Lions fans being shell shocked by so many awful years that we're just waiting for the next bad thing.

And I suspect part of this is that the Lions haven't played really well for the month or so. They've played well enough to win but they haven't dominated like I'd like to see. Maybe this is just normal for good teams? Maybe most games aren't blow outs even by really good teams and we (jaded Lions fans) just need to learn what it's like to be a fan of a good team?

Also:

I suspect part of this is personality. Some people are ALWAYS critical or negative. Some are ALWAYS "sunny side up", and most people are somewhere in the middle.

For me... ONLY negative personalities are hard to take.

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And yet, it was STILL smart to draft Hendon Hooker.

They really don't even have an opportunity to evaluate Hooker before deciding on an extension with Goff. They didn't get a training camp with Hooker to evaluate him and now they'll go into the last season of Goff's contract so they'll have to make a huge decision based on one training camp with Hooker. 

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

The overall negativity is what wears on me, not singling out any one poster cause alot of people are like this, hell I'm guilty of it at times too but going through posts even after we win that are doom and gloom just gets tiresome to me. 

Ffs can't we just have some positive posts that point out the things they did or are doing well? Or players that played well instead of just focusing on the guys or things that haven't been good?

People don’t go to the internet for positivity.

The irony, I’m a pretty positive person. I allow myself to be emotional over football. We need to look at this globally. 

Go look at Reddit or other forums, specific to the lions. People getting voted down to hell for saying there is too much negativity.  In person I only point out the positive.  Here, There is 3 hours to let loose and then get back to it.

For instance, I pointed out the defensive stats last week and key areas they needed to improve.  One of them was red zone td percentage.  Lions were 3rd to last in the league.  Saints came in as one of the worst red zone offenses and then went 4 for 4 after a game going 0 for 5.  The lions are allowing teams to convert 73% of their red zone trips to touchdowns, and it’s gotten progressively worse.  There is room for concern and the nuance is best left for middle of the week.

It’s obvious why there is angst, the lions are off to a historic start and have a legit shot a home playoff game.  The lions have lost 2 of their 3 games at home and were lucky not to lose to the bears. They have been worse defensively at home and haven’t shown improvement since the bye.  People don’t want to see the lions win the division and then have the same issues pop up, fans want to see improvement.  They get upset week to week seeing the same problems.  The red zone defense being of primary concern, even more than the turnovers for me.  I don’t believe they can play at this level of defense and then magically fix it during the playoff game.  

Lions are basically ranking out in bottom 3rd of every defensive category and in the last half of games they are near the bottom in every category.  They still run base and nickel, rarely dime and don’t blitz more than middle of the pack, and usually with linebackers who can’t get home.

On to Chicago. 

Edited by TP_Fan