Week Fifteen: Denver Broncos (7-6) @ Detroit Lions (9-4)

MichiganCardinal

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I think next year is the last year for Goff. There doesn't seem to be any real reports of mutual interest in an extension and I don't get drafting a backup QB in the 3rd round. That's a wasted pick if you think Goff is your future QB especially when the QB you drafted is 25. 

they can always franchise him.  there's not much out there to replace him with.

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think next year is the last year for Goff. There doesn't seem to be any real reports of mutual interest in an extension and I don't get drafting a backup QB in the 3rd round. That's a wasted pick if you think Goff is your future QB especially when the QB you drafted is 25. 

9 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Goff doesn't seem like the type, but I would hold out if I got franchised and didn't get a new contract. 

I agree that Goff doesn't seem like the type to hold out, but he also doesn't seem like the type to negotiate in the media, which might explain why he hasn't talked about an extension.

I get the sense that Goff genuinely likes being in Detroit, likes the fan base, likes Holmes for never treating him like a throw-in, likes Campbell and Johnson for trusting him, likes the offense, and likes the team. Detroit is also the only team he can sign his next contract with and maintain the narrative that McVay was wrong to discard him. If he ends up on a third team by his 30th birthday, he'll end up with the (dreaded) label of "journeyman."

Goff is Jekyll and Hyde. He goes into slumps where he just looks like a turd out there. When he's in a slump, it's so ugly that it's hard to imagine that he can ever come out of it. He's in one now. He'll come out of it, but if Holmes gives him a new contract, it will be with the knowledge that he is a streaky player.

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I agree. If the Lions think they can get equal production for millions of less $$, they will do it. Swift and Hockenson say Hi!!

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The Lions will win the division and a home playoff game and Goff will be signed to a big extension.  

Every team has lulls - We found out last year just how much every single game counts.  The early ones as much as the late ones - This year it's just happening in reverse order.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Decker listed on the injury report as no practice and Ragnow listed as limited. 

That is an awfully expensive OL that can’t get on the field together. 

OTOH, Decker could probably not have played a worse game than he did on Sunday. Maybe he injured his back before/during the game. 

Edited by Jason_R

I was listening to the Pride of Detroit Lions podcast today and they brought a good point that is similar to what TP always bitches about. This offense uses 1st down and 2nd down in hopes to make 3rd down more manageable so that it's easier to get the 1st down then. They don't seem to like to be aggressive and go for the 1st down shot on 1st down itself. Things have to be more methodical and conservative to help set up 3rd down. They were expressing their frustration with the lack of creative playcalling on early downs and the inability to stretch thy field with Gibbs, Jaymo, etc. Goff and Ben Johnson seem far more comfortable, to the point of detriment at times, going dink and dunk and making 3rd downs manageable as opposed going for the kill shots and stretching it out on early downs.

This isn't them or anyone saying Goff can't go deep, but a point I think that I agree with and one that lines up with a lot of TPs complaints. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I was listening to the Pride of Detroit Lions podcast today and they brought a good point that is similar to what TP always bitches about. This offense uses 1st down and 2nd down in hopes to make 3rd down more manageable so that it's easier to get the 1st down then. They don't seem to like to be aggressive and go for the 1st down shot on 1st down itself. Things have to be more methodical and conservative to help set up 3rd down. They were expressing their frustration with the lack of creative playcalling on early downs and the inability to stretch thy field with Gibbs, Jaymo, etc. Goff and Ben Johnson seem far more comfortable, to the point of detriment at times, going dink and dunk and making 3rd downs manageable as opposed going for the kill shots and stretching it out on early downs.

This isn't them or anyone saying Goff can't go deep, but a point I think that I agree with and one that lines up with a lot of TPs complaints. 

They have one of the most effective, potent and explosive offenses in the NFL, so there isn't too much to complain about.

35 minutes ago, Longgone said:

They have one of the most effective, potent and explosive offenses in the NFL, so there isn't too much to complain about.

They were talking about it more in the context of the Bears game and recent games I believe, not the totality of the season. 

To add to this, they also mentioned the Lions apparently have the 4th fewest passing attempts on early downs. Which to some, highlights a more conservative nature and playcalling approach. 

In the end though, all is not lost and the sky is not falling. This has still a 9 win team after all. This is still a team that has yet to lose back-to-back games this season. This is still a statical top 5-10 offense in the league. This pillars of a good team are still there and I do expect them to bounce back quickly next week and shake it off, even if it seems like many of us are fretting and doubting this team and coaching staff a lot these past few weeks. 

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

It is not the play calling. It is that they are two-thirds of the way through the season and they don't know who their team is.  

They are on their ninth, possibly tenth, OL combination of the year, pending Decker's health. Goff doesn't trust them to protect him and he doesn't know where he can find room in the pocket. Also, the defense keeps putting him behind the 8-ball from the very first drive. Baltimore, GB, Chicago twice, so he is pressing from the very start. 

On defense, Campbell has now stooped to begging DL to step up and take a job. Nobody is doing it, so they are cycling through a different lineup every week, and maybe their second-best pass rusher is a 36-year old they signed off the couch. They've also demoted Tracy Walker and are in the process of demoting Jerry Jacobs for a guy they signed off a practice squad. Everyone is pressing, especially the team leaders on defense -- Hutch and Anzalone -- who made major mistakes to extend Chicago drives on Sunday.

Maybe Irwin and Vildor, along with JRM, can give the defense a little shot in the arm until Houston and Ceedy Duce can return. And the offense, as bad as they played on Sunday, still had a lot of success on the ground. They just need to figure out how to get the ball to someone other than ARSB and Laporta. Two touches a game for Jamo is not a lot, but if they go for 50 yards and a TD, well.... 

I like Ben Johnson a whole heckuva a lot. He has been far and away the best Offensive Coordinator we have had since I've been alive. I believe this Jared Goff and this offense have and will continue to thrive most of the time under Johnson's playcalling and leadership. So this isn't a slam Ben Johnson post. But he isn't immune from criticism either.

I've noted earlier in the season, in previous gameday threads, a bit of my frustration for them surrendering early downs on occasion by running in second and long. By going for a more conservative run play or a pass that doesn't or barley reaches the chains instead of stretching it out vertical a bit more. I don't think this is quite the problem some people seem to think it is. All and all, I agree with a large majority of what Ben Johnson calls and gives this offense to work with. He's done an outstanding job at times and at minimum been a good play caller all around.

You mentioned though that they need to figure out how to spread the ball around more to other weapons. Isn't that on Ben Johnson though, at least to a point? Him not getting Jamo more touches and worked into this offense in different ways? Johnson is designing and calling plays for where he wants the ball to go. Jamo doesn't seem to be getting a lot of looks. Maybe there is still a trust issue with the coaching staff, maybe timing with Goff, maybe Goff doesn't feel he has adequate time in the pocket lately to allow plays to develop and Jamo to go deeper.

We were also told and lead to believe Gibbs would be an offensive weapon, not just a strict bell cow RB 1. A guy who is moved all around the field, set in motion, and lined up out wide. Isn't it on Johnson too for not lining Gibbs out wide or in the slot more often? I guess there have been 3 games this year where Johnson did line Gibbs up out wide and they targeted him at least 6 or more times. Isn't it on Johnson for not utilizing more two back sets with him and Montgomery in the game at the same time? What is the snap count where we see two back looks where both Gibbs and Montgomery are in on the same play? It doesn't have to be both men in the backfield, but put Montgomery in and send Gibbs in motion or line him up out wide.

And to the apparent fact, at least according to what the Pride of Detroit guys said on their podcast, isn't it on Johnson that the Lions have the 4th fewest passing attempts on early downs?

6 hours ago, Jason_R said:

The problem is not where Gibbs lines up. The problem is that the guys being paid to protect Goff are not protecting him  

There was a little swing pass to Gibbs last week that was a sure TD but Goff didn't have time to get a pass to him that was catchable. It was a wide open field for a TD. The Lions never went back to it. The same with the jet sweep to Williams. They called it once for about 7 yards but for some reason, never went back to it. Just kept trying to force the ball to LaPorta and St. Brown. Goff seems to be pretty good at passing the ball into tight windows.