2024 CFP National Championship: #1 Michigan Wolverines (14-0) vs. #2 Washington Huskies (14-0)

I think Michigan is riding this underdog, everybody is disrespecting us narrative all the way to a national championship victory. I think Michigan has the toughest defense Washington has played all season and I don't think Penix will face the kind of pressure he has like he will tomorrow night against the maize and blue. I think Michigan largely copies is Alabama game plan, controls the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, pressures Penix, and wins it. BET!

• Like 1

I really still cannot believe we are here, playing for a national championship. All the years we spent getting blown out by Ohio State under Harbaugh. All the embarrassing losses and collapses against Michigan State. All the bad performances against good teams, with winning records. All the subpar transfer QBs we'd bring in and have middling success with. I fully admit I lost faith that Jim Harbaugh would ever get us to the promise land of the national championship game, let alone the CFB playoffs, let alone simply winning the Big Ten. I used a Fire Harbaugh avatar for an entire football season around here and had it up as my Facebook cover photo as well.

Tomorrow's game is everything I ever wanted from Jim Harbaugh when he first came to Michigan. I spent years dreaming about it and screaming about Harbaugh's failure. Now, it is finally here and it feels ****ing great. Win or lose, I am enjoying the moment now and will enjoy tomorrow night's game.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Like 1

Not to stir this pot any further because I'm angsting pretty bad.   Co-worker who played FB as a walk-on at Georgia Tech tells me that all the bubbas in the South stood up and took notice at how Michigan won in the trenches against Alabama and that our speed was shocking to him.   Basically, we proved we could win the natty and he thinks we will.  

I listened to the Joel Klatt breakdown that Cardinal posted and I agree with a lot of what Klatt had to say. It's nice to hear him when he's away from the broadcast and Gus Johnson. I agree with him that Washington needs more possessions to win this game and turn it into a shootout. I agree that Michigan needs to force Washington to make quick decisions, including snapping the ball quickly at the line and making Penix have to dump it off quickly and not allow plays to develop downfield. The more pressure we get on Penix, the more we flush him out of the pocket, the less time we allow for plays to develop downfield. Washington hasn't faced a pass rush and pass defense like this before and I think we're going to be a real problem for Penix and Washington's offense if we keep the pressure on and force quick decisions.

37 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I listened to the Joel Klatt breakdown that Cardinal posted and I agree with a lot of what Klatt had to say. It's nice to hear him when he's away from the broadcast and Gus Johnson. I agree with him that Washington needs more possessions to win this game and turn it into a shootout. I agree that Michigan needs to force Washington to make quick decisions, including snapping the ball quickly at the line and making Penix have to dump it off quickly and not allow plays to develop downfield. The more pressure we get on Penix, the more we flush him out of the pocket, the less time we allow for plays to develop downfield. Washington hasn't faced a pass rush and pass defense like this before and I think we're going to be a real problem for Penix and Washington's offense if we keep the pressure on and force quick decisions.

I really liked and agreed with what he said about Michigan being built to beat teams like Washington (Ohio State). That was how Harbaugh turned it around, was building the defense to withstand that kind of offensive firepower. They are designed such that they can give up close to 400 yards and multiple TDs to a QB like Penix or Stroud and still win the game, by limiting possessions, limiting their own mistakes, and running the ball down your throat.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I really liked and agreed with what he said about Michigan being built to beat teams like Washington (Ohio State). That was how Harbaugh turned it around, was building the defense to withstand that kind of offensive firepower. They are designed such that they can give up close to 400 yards and multiple TDs to a QB like Penix or Stroud and still win the game, by limiting possessions, limiting their own mistakes, and running the ball down your throat.

Mistake free football is, generally speaking, something we are good at. It's what got us in trouble last year against TCU and what made the difference with us winning against Ohio State this year. If we limit our mistakes and force this to be a game where one mistake is a killer, we win it for sure.

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Mistake free football is, generally speaking, something we are good at. It's what got us in trouble last year against TCU and what made the difference with us winning against Ohio State this year. If we limit our mistakes and force this to be a game where one mistake is a killer, we win it for sure.

just dont fall behind.  control the game on the ground.