January 2024 Game Threads

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

45 points at the season’s 41-game halfway point, so a 90 pt pace. 90 points won’t make the playoffs, will need more like 95 or 96, but not an insurmountable gap to make up. 

Other than the 1 for 7 they have stayed on a pace to make it, but can they avoid another one of those? I suppose if Lyon can keep standing on his head for every 4 out of 5 games they have a shot, even with that Yzerman has to do something to address the D; unless he is planning on pulling the plug for a deadline fire sale one more time.

Edited by gehringer_2

14 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I know Ras is playing center but I'd like to see him, Larkin and Raymond play together.

I'm thinking that would be better (defensively and matchups) for the #1 line than having DeBrincat & Kane on the 1st line...

They're fun and all (Kane & Cat); but I'd rather have them on the #2 line as a scoring line. With Copp maybe...

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

45 points at the season’s 41-game halfway point, so a 90 pt pace. 90 points won’t make the playoffs, will need more like 95 or 96, but not an insurmountable gap to make up

54 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Other than the 1 for 7 they have stayed on a pace to make it, but can they avoid another one of those? I suppose if Lyon can keep standing on his head for every 4 out of 5 games they have a shot, even with that Yzerman has to do something to address the D; unless...

That could make for an interesting trade deadline (meaning an acquisition or two...) for the first time in quite some while...

Back to back games this weekend. LA Kings today at home, tomorrow on the road to Toronto. Lyon will start one game, Reimer the other, not sure of the order. From the Detroit News for tonight's game:

Kings at Red Wings

Faceoff: 7 p.m. Saturday, Little Caesars Arena

TV/radio: BSD/97.1

Outlook: The Wings (20-16-5) and Kings (20-10-8) meet for the second time in nine days. The Wings won, 4-3, in a shootout, last week in Los Angeles ... The Kings are winless in seven games (0-3-4) ... RW Adrian Kempe (15 goals, 37 points) and C Anze Kopitar (14 goals, 37 points) lead offensively, and G Cam Talbot (14-9-5, .922 SVS) has been steady in net.

34 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Very annoyed that I'll be laid up with Covid and can't even watch this because I'm local to the Kings

Use the team to assess which players are above, at or below their expected points pace as we hit the halfway point of the season.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/team/stats/_/name/det/detroit-red-wings

Not really that many shockers in any direction, IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Here are Ansar Khan's first half grades.

https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2024/01/red-wings-first-half-grades-high-marks-for-new-additions.html

I'd give Kane higher than a B+. I agree with Sprong's A-, he was one of the lesser heralded offseason signings.

i think kane is an A.  no other player who has had that surgery has come back and done anything.  he's come back and is the same player he was last year production wise.  he'll never be who he was in his prime, but he is the most creative and best offensive player on this team.  whether or not he (and debrincat) sacrifice too much defense is another question.  but he wasnt brought here to defend.  he's exceeded expectations, imo.

exceeds: kane, sprong, veleno, lyon, chairot, compher, gotisbehere, raymond

meets: larkin, seider, walman, copp, fabbri

does not meet: perron, rasmussen, kostin, holl, maata, petry, fischer, husso, reimer

part of those grades are based on my expectations, part on production. for instance, chairot has been pretty good this year considering his last couple of seasons.  compher's offense has been a plus and a surprise.

i expected more from rasmussen.  he's been muted this year.  perron looks his age.  the defensive signings have not worked out and are serving to hold edvinsson back.  the goaltending other than lyon has been atrocious.

a word on edvinsson: he wasnt all that when he was here.  he had a similar problem to what i saw in the preseason: no urgency to his game.  seider became a physical force (for a while) his second year.  edvinsson needs that leap.

whether he develops it or not he should be in detroit right now.  petry is cooked.  holl and maata are regular healthy scratches.  in hindsight, yzerman spent too much money on old defense this offseason.

• Like 1

whether or not he (and debrincat) sacrifice too much defense is another question.

Indeed. They've taken a step back defensively since the Kane signing. That doesn't mean Lalonde won't eventually figure it out, but the adjustment has not been smooth.

petry is cooked.  holl and maata are regular healthy scratches.  in hindsight, yzerman spent too much money on old defense this offseason.

Yup. 

But I'm not sure urgency is the most fair knock for a rookie Dman. They are mostly and rightly trying to play carefully worried about making mistakes in the much faster and more dangerous game. I don't think I'd be looking for 'urgency' until he had a good chunk of a season under his belt - which - to your point - is why he needs to be playing. We have to recalibrate the comparisons to Seider. Finding a second guy at his level back to back was too much to expect, that doesn't mean Simon can't still be a step up from a Petry who just can't defend any reasonable amount of space anymore.

Edited by gehringer_2