January 2024 Game Threads

10 hours ago, buddha said:

carolina is like the 90s devils.  only not dirty.

I think the '95 Devils Cup win was one of the worst things that happened to the NHL. It ushered in a decade of dead puck hockey. Even the success of flowing teams like Detroit an to an extent Colorado couldn't stem that from becoming a league-wide model.

46 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I think the '95 Devils Cup win was one of the worst things that happened to the NHL. It ushered in a decade of dead puck hockey. Even the success of flowing teams like Detroit an to an extent Colorado couldn't stem that from becoming a league-wide model.

There was this perfect storm of archaic goal crease rules, the addition of video goal replay, and a generation of much more athletic goalies.   Created a giant mess.  I remember how bad the it was waiting on almost every single playoff goal to see if it would actually count.  

• Like 1

More on the Al Sobotka firing, remember that?  Personally, I think firing after 50 years was harsh, even if probably legal to do so. Could have asked him to resign with a year's severance. He was 67, no one's entitled to a job for life anyways.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2024/01/19/al-sobotka-red-wings-zamboni-driver-fired-details/72163904007/

============================================

One day after he was fired for peeing in a drain at work, former Detroit Red Wings Zamboni driver Al Sobotka texted the most powerful man at the company and begged for a second chance.

"Chris, I'm sure you heard that I was terminated," Sobotka texted Christopher Ilitch, president and CEO of the Detroit Red Wings and its massive parent company, Ilitch Holdings. "I don't think I deserve it. After 50 seasons of hard work, countless hours, holidays, missing out with the family ... I would hope you had it in your heart for another chance."

"I would love to go (out) on my own and retire. I have much respect for you and your family ... I'm begging you, this is killing me."

Ilitch never responded.

Zamboni driver Al Sobotka swings an octopus after retrieving from the ice in the third period of the 
Nearly two years after the abrupt firing of Detroit's beloved Zamboni driver and octopus twirler, new details have emerged about what went on behind closed doors before and after the Red Wings axed the celebrated 68-year-old Sobotka. He sued over his firing — and consequently planted a bull's-eye on the inner workings of the city's billion-dollar entertainment empire.

==================================

Edited by lordstanley

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Sad to face that Edvinsson's stock has dropped so low he not a candidate to replace one of the current turkeys.

In the big picture, the disappointing seasons so far by Kaspar and Edvinsson could have big implications. The idea of last summer's signings was to buy some time until the young uns were ready. Not for this year to be the ceiling.

• Thanks 1

And the comedy is that one of things they are the worst at is that when they do get back, they invariably end up with 4 or all five guys too deep and constantly leave trailers wide open in the slot. It's ridiculous a pro team can't figure out how to man up returning to their own end.