January 2024 Game Threads

58 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

In the big picture, the disappointing seasons so far by Kaspar and Edvinsson could have big implications. The idea of last summer's signings was to buy some time until the young uns were ready. Not for this year to be the ceiling.

edvinsson's season has not been disappointing.  the fact that yzerman signed too many old defenseman is disappointing and - in hindsight - was a mistake.  but edvinsson has been good in the ahl and by all accounts is ready for the nhl.

• Like 1

as bad as the 2nd was the difference in the game still came down to the TMMOTI penalty. Mickey has been harping on the sloppiness of their line changes all season. 

I've seen enough of this team in its current configuration. If I never see Joe Veleno's 'signature' drive-up-the-left-boards-just-to-be-erased-on hip check-and-turn-over-the-puck, or a Wing Dman blindly dumping the puck directly to an opponent skater's stick at the red line,  it will be too soon.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

the bigger question is how all their veteran d men have avoided injury

Harder to get hurt when you are constantly chasing behind the play.....

Seriously. Once you get past Seider and Walman, Wing Dmen in general do not pursue and challenge hard on the boards, as often as not they hang back, wait for the shot and hope to get possession on the rebound or miss. 

Edited by gehringer_2

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Harder to get hurt when you are constantly chasing behind the play.....

Seriously. Once you get past Seider and Walman, Wing Dmen in general do not pursue and challenge hard on the boards, as often as not they hang back, wait for the shot and hope to get possession on the rebound or miss. 

Lovely.

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

Kasper has come on of late...tough to call the anticipated adjustment period to the NA game "disappointing".

Edvinsson is playing well..the only disappointment with him is they're not giving him a chance in Detroit

Yeah Edvinsson has looked good. I’m not really sure why he hasn’t been up. Especially with as rough as the defense has been. 

One reasonable explanation is that Yzerman is hoping to get something by moving one of the current Dmen so he doesn't want to cut someone for nothing. He holds his cards so close to the vest we'll never know until after the fact. But OTOH, I don't believe Holl and Petry are doing much to burnish their value in the ice time they are getting.

1 hour ago, Shinzaki said:

Kasper has come on of late...tough to call the anticipated adjustment period to the NA game "disappointing".

Edvinsson is playing well..the only disappointment with him is they're not giving him a chance in Detroit

Kasper also missed off season training and some training camp with A BROKEN KNEE CAP.  I'm not sure why people expected him to be tearing up the AHL right away.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, slothfacekilla said:

Kasper also missed off season training and some training camp with A BROKEN KNEE CAP.  I'm not sure why people expected him to be tearing up the AHL right away.

all those guys are in their first ahl season except edvinsson.  no one should expect them to be tearing it up yet.  it would be GREAT if they were, but they arent connor bedard.

edvinsson is the one guy who should be performing well and IS performing well.  if there is a disappointment, its soderblum.

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

One reasonable explanation is that Yzerman is hoping to get something by moving one of the current Dmen so he doesn't want to cut someone for nothing. He holds his cards so close to the vest we'll never know until after the fact. But OTOH, I don't believe Holl and Petry are doing much to burnish their value in the ice time they are getting.

no one is going to trade for holl or petry.  for what?  holl is a healthy scratch half the time and is on a three year deal.  petry is ancient.  its not worth it for the wings to deal him for a 6th round pick.  might as well keep him for depth.

gotisbeare is the logical player to move.  he's a good offensive player and good on the power play, he's got one year left on his reasonable deal, and he can be replaced by seider on the pp and edvinsson in 5 on 5.

1 hour ago, buddha said:

no one is going to trade for holl or petry.  for what?  holl is a healthy scratch half the time and is on a three year deal.  petry is ancient.  its not worth it for the wings to deal him for a 6th round pick.  might as well keep him for depth.

gotisbeare is the logical player to move.  he's a good offensive player and good on the power play, he's got one year left on his reasonable deal, and he can be replaced by seider on the pp and edvinsson in 5 on 5.

I'm good with that...

Now...

How about Chiarot?

😉

1 hour ago, buddha said:

Seider already plays a fair amount on the PP, so you still need an add there, but otherwise, absolutely, we are playing guys that aren't very good and the question is whether it's really because they don't think Edvinsson could replace one of them or because they are working some other angle. The only problem with moving someone who actually has trade value - like Gostisbehere, is now you have another hole to fill. I seem to recall they pretty much collapsed after moving Hronek last season.

15 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Plus he has an immovable contract...

Honestly I am not sure if I agree with that, seems pretty in line with other deals in the NHL:

https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/ben-chiarot-11564

I feel like he has been pretty solid this season, though not without some bonehead mistakes.  Outside of the Seider / Walman pair it looks like he's been playing the toughest minutes and highest d-zone starts on the team.  I doubt the Wings are looking to move him but I bet they could get someone to take him somehow.

7 minutes ago, slothfacekilla said:

Honestly I am not sure if I agree with that, seems pretty in line with other deals in the NHL:

https://www.capfriendly.com/comparables/ben-chiarot-11564

I feel like he has been pretty solid this season, though not without some bonehead mistakes.  Outside of the Seider / Walman pair it looks like he's been playing the toughest minutes and highest d-zone starts on the team.  I doubt the Wings are looking to move him but I bet they could get someone to take him somehow.

it was obvious from his contract with detroit and what he was traded for the year before that the league sees chairot a lot differently than the analytics crowd.

i think people value his toughness and physical nature.  the ability to be a good locker room guy and a good soldier.  yes, he makes bone headed mistakesz but he also brings hard checks and a good shot.  those things matter even if they dont show up on corsi.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, buddha said:

i thought kane was practicing again?

He is, this is probably roster / money management especially with the call up of Rafferty.  He's already eligible to come off IR with the retroactive designation.

5 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Who the hell is Brogan Rafferty? Sounds more like a Toronto law firm.

LOL.  Decent AHL 28 year old, 3 NHL games with the Canucks a few seasons back.  I think the Wings have called him up before but he only sat in the press box (nice for his paycheck at least).  I'm guessing he's in the press box for insurance if someone else on defense gets hurt (I think Chiarot is out until after the ASB).  No sense in sitting someone like Edvinsson (who is also out hurt already anyways) or Johannson in the press box most likely. 

Bally Sports is hosed again. I'm getting used to missing Red Wing games. It's the only thing I need them for in the winter. Losing another subscriber.....hurry up Amazon!

Edit; it's back. I just lost the 1st period. 0-0.

Edited by Sports_Freak