2023-2024 Lions in Review

Feel free to post your reviews. Here's mine (please note I am probably the least experienced person to talk about this).......

1. Can't blame Campbell for this last loss. Too many dropped passes, flukes on plays, giving up a QB running for 75 yards up the middle when I'm faster than him.... Can't blame Campbell.  My wife came in all excited as halftime was starting saying "They are up 17 points?!?!?! WOW!". I replied, "It ain't over yet, unfortunately....."

2. Maybe blame Aaron Glenn? - I know a lot of people like him and he's well-respected around the league. Honestly, if he goes though, I wouldn't mind. I'm hoping a team snags him as their new Head Coach. 

3. The Lions need to invest in Cornerbacks. - Jerry Jacobs and Cam Sutton Blow.... Hard. I'm talking about the type of blowing you'd find on the corner of Woodward in a skirt. They both need to be cut. Each game has been more and more depressing to watch these two. 

4. Lions Draft - CB, CB, DL, OL, WR would be my preference. They need two high Defensive backs and another rusher. Their DB's are the 3rd worst in the league and it cost em.

Overall thoughts

- Love Campbell's aggressiveness going on 4th down. He's a players coach and I love that he goes for it more than anyone else.

- I'm still not sold on Goff being the QB of the future. I would love a more mobile guy and a QB that can actually throw a spiral. All of his throws are wobbly as all get out.

- Going into the draft the Lions HAVE to focus on their secondary. They need to cut Jacobs and Sutton. They also need to replenish their Dline and O-line. 

- The Lions won a lot of games this year they shouldn't have. I am VERY surprised they made it this far. It was fun and exciting. Now having said that, even if I think they are a lot worse than most, blowing a 17-point lead is inexcusable. I get that there were some fluke plays but still, that's nuts. Some players need some soul-searching..... 

- The Lions overachieved this year but I think next year they have a chance to end up right where they ended this year. They could be a Super Bowl team with a new secondary and some depth. They should have cap space to spend to shore up some things. Here's hoping for one more tremendous draft to get them where they need to be......

• Like 1

Pretty much on board with everything there except I don't think they cut Sutton.

Push him to the #2 CB, and eventually to #3 once a rookie CB gets up to speed (which sometimes can take longer, for a  rookie CB, hence... the need to keep Sutton until that point in time...).

The Lions got here at least a year before I thought they could - While I would have probably made different decisions regarding FGs in that last game, I am absolutely convinced DC is the right coach.  He got more out of this group than he probably should have.

Completely agree on CBs.  I would put another edge rusher on par with that.  Beyond that, I hope we use a best player available approach at the draft - Outside of perhaps RB, QB, & S, I don't know that there is any position group where we don't need depth.

• Like 1

Disappointing end to a great season, but the only end that would have been not disappointing, the way this all played out was a Superbowl win. Remind self: That was a wild unimaginable dream when this season started.  It's a 10/10 for me.  Results that consistently exceeded my expectations.  

Obviously we do need help in pass D...both on the corner and on the edge. Way to early to start speculating on cutting and releasing. So many NFL wide changes to come.  It will be exciting to read and see about new coordinators (as needed) and to see what kind of draft magic Holmes can come up with picking from so far back in round 1.

Great year...looking forward to more!

Awesome season somewhat tarnished by a final horrid half of football to close it out. Still the single greatest season of Lions football of my life, and I'm old. Looking to next season, I think they must upgrade the CBs, D-line -- interior and edge -- and find reliable O-line depth, in that order. I don't expect huge splash FA signings, but I suspect they'll be active looking for value and/or depth. I wouldn't rule out a trade, either. Holmes will draft BPA, which will frustrate Lions fans if the BPA isn't a position of immediate need. I'm excited to see how everything fleshes out, not to mention for their new unis.

Rumor has it that Ben Johnson was asking for monstrous money to become a head coach... I don't care if teams were showing reluctance at salary demands and that helped Ben come back to Detroit.

We do have unfinished business... and I think his gifted mind would be very difficult to replace.

Just now, buddha said:

so they told him he didnt get the job, lol.

No.. they (the Commanders) were just on their way to Detroit to interview him for their HC position.

But they're still coming as they were going to interview both Ben and Glenn.

Now they just get one interviewee.

Is Sutton actually the problem? It's a chicken or egg thing. In today's NFL, no CB can cover a receiver (especially a #1 receiver) for an extended time. Getting consistent pressure on a QB always makes a CB look much better. The way the rules are set up are all for offensive scoring, that's the way the NFL wants it. Scoring is exciting, defensive games don't get the huge ratings. And Goff? He's an upper tier QB in Johnsons gameplan, the Lions scored plenty. We just need defense, defense and some more defense. Oh, and a kicker who can make field goals from 40+ yards.

10 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Is Sutton actually the problem? It's a chicken or egg thing. In today's NFL...

I think it's a multiple thing.

The first thing is, I believe he is better as a #2 CB, not a #1. Maybe even as a slot CB. But I'll let the Lions work that out.

If you have a true shutdown CB taking on a team's #1 WR, and Sutton on the #2 or #3 WR, I think he looks a lot better.

Yes pass rush.

But I still see coverage sacks. I still see QB's throwing passes away into the sidelines or out of the end zone because they cannot find an open receiver. Have a blanket coverage secondary and sacks go up.

But to your point: more pressure, more sacks, less time to throw ALSO helps the secondary.

I think Holmes leaves no stone unturned this offseason. He'll hunt for additional pass-rush/ speed rush through the draft and FA's. He'll hunt for a #1 CB on the market (really, really difficult to find/ afford) and he'll draft 1 or 2 CB's to develop. 

And I think he will ALSO put critical resources towards the O-Line this offseason. This car goes nowhere without the engine and the O-Line is the engine of the Lions (Goff is the driver, Montgomery the drivetrain, Hutch-St Brown-LaPorta-Anzalone the wheels, McNeil, Campbell, Melifonwu, etc. offer different options like leather seats and sunroof and such... and Gibbs and Jamo are the LASER-BEAM High Beams). They still don't have the Jamo High Beam perfectly aligned just yet though... Working on it.

27 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

I think it's a multiple thing.

The first thing is, I believe he is better as a #2 CB, not a #1. Maybe even as a slot CB. But I'll let the Lions work that out.

If you have a true shutdown CB taking on a team's #1 WR, and Sutton on the #2 or #3 WR, I think he looks a lot better.

Yes pass rush.

But I still see coverage sacks. I still see QB's throwing passes away into the sidelines or out of the end zone because they cannot find an open receiver. Have a blanket coverage secondary and sacks go up.

But to your point: more pressure, more sacks, less time to throw ALSO helps the secondary.

I think Holmes leaves no stone unturned this offseason. He'll hunt for additional pass-rush/ speed rush through the draft and FA's. He'll hunt for a #1 CB on the market (really, really difficult to find/ afford) and he'll draft 1 or 2 CB's to develop. 

And I think he will ALSO put critical resources towards the O-Line this offseason. This car goes nowhere without the engine and the O-Line is the engine of the Lions (Goff is the driver, Montgomery the drivetrain, Hutch-St Brown-LaPorta-Anzalone the wheels, McNeil, Campbell, Melifonwu, etc. offer different options like leather seats and sunroof and such... and Gibbs and Jamo are the LASER-BEAM High Beams). They still don't have the Jamo High Beam perfectly aligned just yet though... Working on it.

Cornerbacks thru the draft usually take a couple of years experience before they're effective. Unless you can get the best one coming out. But the Lions low draft pick won't be the best CB. I really trust Holmes to find us some talented players though. I say FA for some secondary help, a kicker and o-line. Draft the best edge rusher(s) they can. But Holmes knows what he's doing, we'll see how it all plays out...

Will 1y contracts still be a tool next year?  I could see/hope CGJ gets another, Mosely a non-guaranteed and maybe a premier edge and CB?  Give em good money, make it attractive, load it with incentives. Buzz is Detroit is now an attractive place to land.

1 hour ago, KnoxP said:

Will 1y contracts still be a tool next year?  I could see/hope CGJ gets another, Mosely a non-guaranteed and maybe a premier edge and CB?  Give em good money, make it attractive, load it with incentives. Buzz is Detroit is now an attractive place to land.

Stephon Gilmore is a good candidate for a one year deal. He's old but still good so that's why you can get him on a short deal. Plus the Lions are Super Bowl contenders and he can play with his brother. 

16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Stephon Gilmore is a good candidate for a one year deal. He's old but still good so that's why you can get him on a short deal. Plus the Lions are Super Bowl contenders and he can play with his brother. 

I'm on board with that.