2023-2024 Lions in Review

I hope they can add legit interior and edge D-linemen, because that alone will help the CBs. Sutton isn't a number 1, though, so that also needs to be addressed. I expect Glasgow to be retained, but they need another Glasgow-type signing to hold the line in the offensive trenches. I wonder if Jonah will get the big deal from some other team that everyone assumes he's gonna get considering his injury history.

5 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Our passing game coordinator, Tanner Engstrom, might get the Tampa OC job.

I have a wild idea...

Hire Teddy Bridgewater as our next passing game coordinator.

If he wants that job...

Interesting idea?

I thought he had plans to coach his high school team

On 1/28/2024 at 9:57 PM, AlaskanTigersFan said:

2. Maybe blame Aaron Glenn? - I know a lot of people like him and he's well-respected around the league. Honestly, if he goes though, I wouldn't mind. I'm hoping a team snags him as their new Head Coach. 

3. The Lions need to invest in Cornerbacks. - Jerry Jacobs and Cam Sutton Blow.... Hard. I'm talking about the type of blowing you'd find on the corner of Woodward in a skirt. They both need to be cut. Each game has been more and more depressing to watch these two. 

I don't understand why Glenn gets blamed then in the same token you say how awful the CBs are. 

I think AG gets way more blame than he should. IMO, he doesn't have good enough/experienced enough personnel to run a conventional defense that can survive in this league so what he did, smartly, is acknowledge that after around the second Packers game and started blitzing more knowing that the defense would give up big plays but also forcing the QB into more mistakes so what happened was that while offenses had more big plays down the field the defense created a lot more turnovers and the points against went down a bit as a result. There's only so much he could do with a defense that was littered with youth, had vets (Sutton and Vildor) in over their head and no pass rushers to speak of outside of Hutch.

I don't think Sutton should be cut, he struggled because due to the Moesley injury he was thrust into #1 CB duty which he's ill equipped to handle. He'll be better when, I assume, Holmes gets a #1 CB this offseason and pushes Sutton back to #2 CB where he belongs.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I don't think Sutton should be cut, he struggled because due to the Moesley injury he was thrust into #1 CB duty which he's ill equipped to handle. He'll be better when, I assume, Holmes gets a #1 CB this offseason and pushes Sutton back to #2 CB where he belongs.

And when our pass rush isn't ass.

53 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

That would be good because you have Soradal who came from a small school and the Lions are patient with developing players. I can see Sorsdal being a starter by year 3-4 and taking over for Glasgow. 

i tend to agree. The Packers, Bears and Vikings are a step or two above UAlbany and Monmouth 

17 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I have a wild idea...

If he wants that job...

Interesting idea?

On a related note I hadn't seen until the Lions played SF that old friend Brian Griese had gone into coaching and was now Brock Purdy's quarterback whisperer.

18 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I have a wild idea...

If he wants that job...

Interesting idea?

I think that is a bit of a jump and bypassing Mark and The slash for basically the deputy OC job as they've been on staff for a few years and have been coaching for a bit. 

On 1/31/2024 at 9:38 AM, NYLion said:

I don't understand why Glenn gets blamed then in the same token you say how awful the CBs are. 

I think AG gets way more blame than he should. IMO, he doesn't have good enough/experienced enough personnel to run a conventional defense that can survive in this league so what he did, smartly, is acknowledge that after around the second Packers game and started blitzing more knowing that the defense would give up big plays but also forcing the QB into more mistakes so what happened was that while offenses had more big plays down the field the defense created a lot more turnovers and the points against went down a bit as a result. There's only so much he could do with a defense that was littered with youth, had vets (Sutton and Vildor) in over their head and no pass rushers to speak of outside of Hutch.

I hope you're right. The reason I'm not an AG fan is there were a lot of times he left our CB's in isolation too much with no help. I never understood that. Also there were a bunch of games this year where the Lions were up by a touchdown or FG or even less and the opposing team was allowed to do whatever because he would do max prevent. So he'd rush 4 and the opposing QB had all day to pick us apart and move up the field. It was very frustrating. I'm just personally not a big fan. I hope he gets a true CB1 and I change my mind. I really do. He seems like a good dude, I just don't know if his style is Detroit Style...... But again, I don't know a lot.... so I'm basically talkin out of my behind....

Glenn has never had anywhere close to the talent that Ben Johnson has had. He's basically got half an NFL starting D-line, 2/3rds an LB corps, a number 2, a solid slot and a bunch of stop-gaps at CB. Safety is about the only position where he has anything close to a complete group. Considering haw few horses he's had, I think AG has done a pretty good job. I'd like to see what he can do with a better stable. 

1 hour ago, holygoat said:

Glenn has never had anywhere close to the talent that Ben Johnson has had. He's basically got half an NFL starting D-line, 2/3rds an LB corps, a number 2, a solid slot and a bunch of stop-gaps at CB. Safety is about the only position where he has anything close to a complete group. Considering haw few horses he's had, I think AG has done a pretty good job. I'd like to see what he can do with a better stable. 

Something tells me they are going a lot of D this draft.......

• Like 1

I hope they get their most pressing needs in FA or via trade, because A) you can better project what you're gonna get wrt performance, and B) I don't think Holmes considers immediate needs as much as he does ability/character in the draft.

I'm not sure what happened to Sutton. He was one of the most under-appreciated players on the defense through the first eight weeks or so and then fell off a cliff in the playoffs. The competition was better, but it almost looked like he lost a step somewhere along the line due to injury or fatigue.