Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

sO tHiS iS wHaT tHeY'vE bEeN dOiNg iNsTeAd oF sIgNiNg fReE aGeNtS?!

Makes sense, they earned it. They originally signed six year contacts in 2021, and this is only adding a year, through 2027. So it's likely more of a raise than it is a one-year extension for four years from now.

Is this the first Lions coach to get a second contract since Wayne Fontes?

earned It?

Ha. What a joke. They haven't even made a super bowl and we're giving them more years to be fat cats and complacent.

(Ok I'm ready for my turn on 97.1 where callers make this board look sane) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I'm willing to predict that this will be Saleh's last year. Last year he bowed to the will of a 39yo prima donna QB who would have rather been hosting Jeopardy... Now he gets to reap the consequences with a 40yo Sandy Hook denying QB who would rather be Vice President, fresh off an Achilles tear.

i dont think saleh bowed down to rogers, he had no choice.  rogers is who he is.  that's mgmt's fault for bringing a cancerous prima donna onto a fragile team in the biggest, moat aggressive media market in the country.

it will be interesting to see how the steelers deal with their own prima donna qb who destroys locker rooms.  but unlike the jets, the steelers have a very long culture spearheaded by strong ownership.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont think saleh bowed down to rogers, he had no choice.  rogers is who he is.  that's mgmt's fault for bringing a cancerous prima donna onto a fragile team in the biggest, moat aggressive media market in the country.

it will be interesting to see how the steelers deal with their own prima donna qb who destroys locker rooms.  but unlike the jets, the steelers have a very long culture spearheaded by strong ownership.

Mike Tomlin managed with Antonio Brown for years so I think he can handle Wilson. 

10 minutes ago, KL2 said:

earned It?

Ha. What a joke. They haven't even made a super bowl and we're giving them more years to be fat cats and complacent.

(Ok I'm ready for my turn on 97.1 where callers make this board look sane) 

We are all really good at playing the crazed fanatic out of touch with reality! Good thing we are all only playing and definitely don’t act like that in our everyday lives.

Haha. Ha. Ha.

image.gif.6f3fe9c0f5630c2f77b85108252dcf3f.gif

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

I don’t think Joe Douglas acted in a vacuum with the decision to bring on Rodgers - or to bring on all of his friends for that matter. They were all complicit and will all go down with the boat when it sinks… except Woody Johnson of course, he’s safe and sound in the light house just off shore.

I was just talking about the Steelers prima donnas the other day with a friend who is a Steelers fan. He joked that they traded Diontae Johnson’s issues for Russell Wilson’s, while keeping George Pickens. They are definitely a team that doesn’t shy away from locker room problems.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

24 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

This is why people shouldn’t lose their minds if the Lions go 10-7 this year. Growth isn’t always linear.

14-3

loses to Texas, dallas and Green Bay once. That's it. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

It seemed awfully quick for the Falcons to sign Cousins coming off a major injury.

So here's a purely thought experiment question... If a player is coming off an injury and knows that teams will want to do a medical work up on him... could he get a medical work up done on is own dime, and publicly release it?

I mean I think any team would dumb to rely solely on that, but it might the negotiation process go quicker if a team could see a medical report before the legal tampering period started. They could see the report and go: "Fine, we'll assume for negotiation that this is correct but obvious we have a line in the contract that we want our own docs to look you over before the contact is binding."

16 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

So here's a purely thought experiment question... If a player is coming off an injury and knows that teams will want to do a medical work up on him... could he get a medical work up done on is own dime, and publicly release it?

I mean I think any team would dumb to rely solely on that, but it might the negotiation process go quicker if a team could see a medical report before the legal tampering period started. They could see the report and go: "Fine, we'll assume for negotiation that this is correct but obvious we have a line in the contract that we want our own docs to look you over before the contact is binding."

Team isn't gonna trust anyone but their doc. 

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I really don't want to be a neigh sayer here..... But the lions won probably 4 or 5 games where they should of lost last year.... If they repeat the same record, THAT would be something....... I'd be amazed if they win 12 again. I hope it happens but am not holding my breath. 

2 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I really don't want to be a neigh sayer here..... But the lions won probably 4 or 5 games where they should of lost last year.... If they repeat the same record, THAT would be something....... I'd be amazed if they win 12 again. I hope it happens but am not holding my breath. 

Yup - its the NFL, you can take the under on a 12 win season for pretty much any team any time.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

What? What are those 4 or 5 games? I can think of Chicago but they also should have won against Dallas and probably Seattle. 

30 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Have to say, I would have signed him for that. There must be a reason he lasted this long and signed so cheap. 

Damn, this bums me out. I don't know what kind of locker room presence Fuller is or where he fits into their culture. However, I would have absolutely signed him for that type of a deal. What a nice deal for the Dolphins.

This is probably my favorite move so far. He's basically a poor man's version of Snacks Harrison. He's a man eater who can draw double teams which can free up McNeil for the pass rush. He'll likely be subbed on 3rd and passing downs. Definite improvement over Benito Jones and Buggs. 

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What? What are those 4 or 5 games? I can think of Chicago but they also should have won against Dallas and probably Seattle. 

I was going to say the same thing. It's not like they were the 2022 Vikings.... Only five of their 12 wins were even by one score (@KC, @LAC, vCHI, @NO, @MIN), so it's a far stretch to basically say "you should lose any game you don't win by two scores"... Of those games though, Chicago is the only one where I think it's fair to say that a number of breaks went their way late to make that win happen despite not being the better team for 55 minutes... For the other four, it's always hard to win on the road. KC was a dogfight start to finish, LAC the offense could not be stopped in the second half, NO they looked phenomenal to start and cooled off but still pulled it off, and MIN was for the division and we clearly looked like the better team.

And if you look at losses, three of those five were by one score (vSEA, vGB, @DAL). Of those, against Dallas we were certainly the better team or at least should have won. Green Bay we were not. Seattle is arguable. We probably should have won but it's hard to say you're the better team when you shoot yourself in the foot repeatedly.

I think if you look solely at "what should the outcome have been", the Lions record would have been 12-5 or 13-4. Which doesn't translate to 2024 necessarily, but I don't agree that there were four or five games we should have lost.

48 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Have to say, I would have signed him for that. There must be a reason he lasted this long and signed so cheap. 

From the Athletic:

https://theathletic.com/5318482/2024/03/14/nfl-free-agent-rankings-tracker/

(Fuller was ranked 70th best FA this offseason by the Athletic... the reason why): Fuller's speed has declined, but his anticipation and instincts help offset that. Even so, he's approaching 30 and has some knee concerns, making his market a bit murky. With Benjamin St-Juste and Emmanuel Forbes around, he doesn't seem likely to return to Washington, which will miss his leadership. — Ben Standig