Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Btw the Lions restructured Carlton Davis contract by turning some of it into a signing bonus. His cap hit now is a little over 9 million this year so it freed up about 5 million.

I was expecting an extension. Maybe they will take a corner in round one.

21 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I wonder if he knew he would be immediately named as the backup.

Bears should have just waited until the fall. When a QB went down in week two, they could have gotten a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

No. He went for a sixth. That is how the league views him. An injury doesn't make him a 2 magically. If a team has an injury they would just go sign a david blough. That is how little the league views of him. 

11 minutes ago, KL2 said:

No. He went for a sixth. That is how the league views him. An injury doesn't make him a 2 magically. If a team has an injury they would just go sign a david blough. That is how little the league views of him. 

When the Eagles drafted Carson Wentz #2 in 2016 and already had Sam Bradford on the roster (whom they had acquired for a 5th round pick in 2015), they held onto Bradford all the way until the 2016 preseason. They ultimately traded him to the Vikings for a 2017 1st round pick and conditional 4th round pick after Teddy Bridgewater tore his ACL. Fields is better than 2016 Bradford, let alone David Blough.

I don't think he would have gotten a 1st, but he would have gotten better than a 6th.

15 minutes ago, KL2 said:

I don't think that's a given. If a team is looking at a closing SB window and their QB goes down in week 3 or 4 or something like that they may be willing to overpay for someone who they may view as more talented. I dunno if they'd go up to a Rnd 2 pick, but I could easily see someone paying a 4, maybe a 3 depending on various circumstances.

That said I heard at least one report that the Bears want to question of who the QB is and who the leader of the team is. If Fields was still around that could have an impact on team dynamics. Then the question is if hanging on to Fields in the hopes that the just the right team has their QB go down so they can get a 4, maybe a 3 instead of a 6... is it worth the potential locker room issues?

2 hours ago, RedRamage said:

I don't think that's a given. If a team is looking at a closing SB window and their QB goes down in week 3 or 4 or something like that they may be willing to overpay for someone who they may view as more talented. I dunno if they'd go up to a Rnd 2 pick, but I could easily see someone paying a 4, maybe a 3 depending on various circumstances.

That said I heard at least one report that the Bears want to question of who the QB is and who the leader of the team is. If Fields was still around that could have an impact on team dynamics. Then the question is if hanging on to Fields in the hopes that the just the right team has their QB go down so they can get a 4, maybe a 3 instead of a 6... is it worth the potential locker room issues?

the bears didnt want him around when they bring in a new qb.  that would lead to a divided dressing room and potentially create factions.  better to just start with a clean slate.

also, justin fields isnt very good.

they had a bears reporter on the radio this morning and asked him why fields went for such a low draft pick.  why does the league view him as worth only a 6th round pick?

"because they looked at the tape."

how many open guys do you have to miss?  how many sacks do you get because you hold the ball too long?  why do you never throw people open?  why duck and run constantly?

because you cant read a defense.  that's why.  every athletic qb is not going to turn into lamar jackson.  

• Thanks 1

Look at the tape from the Lions game in which the Bears blew the huge lead. You get him a lead and he can tuck and run and things are fine. When the Bears fell behind and needed a game winning drive and needed him to throw the ball, he faltered. Hutchinson made a nice play but Fields has to sense that pressure. He never looked that way and was looked on the opposite side of the field. With his athleticism, he could have avoided that sack. He plays QB the way I play Madden. Drop back, run around, wait for someone to pop open. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

👍

I think the only thing I have left on my shopping list is Justin Simmons.

Oh wait: Are there any pass-rushers left?

If not, then just Simmons to be part of a Safety rotation and to coach our young guys up...

on the field and off.

Then... I'm good. Just waitin' for the draft.

Edited by 1984Echoes

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

👍

I think the only thing I have left on my shopping list is Justin Simmons.

Oh wait: Are there any pass-rushers left?

If not, then just Simmons to be part of a Safety rotation and to coach our young guys up...

on the field and off.

Then... I'm good. Just waitin' for the draft.

I still want to bring Reynolds back. Diggs is also sitting out there as a free agent. Could also be the veteran safety depth. 

Great signing, he's exactly the guy I wanted the Lions to sign for a short term solution. Elite pass blocker. Still need a long term solution but couldn't think of a better short term solution.

If Holmes does nothing else, this free agency period is a success but with all the talent on the receiver and safety market I would like to see one of those positions filled before the draft. Still need a #3 WR and a vet safety so either would suffice.

Edited by NYLion
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Anyone still bitching about the offseason?       And we still have the draft and Brad will get more value at #29 than most teams would get in the Top 15. 

But they didn't spend all their cap space...........OH NO !!!

Back to back truly remarkable offseasons for Brad. He assumed the role of villain last season. Not to get too corny but I think a better mantra is assassin.

He sits quietly in the shadows. Lets other teams blow half their cap on the flashy signings. Lets the expensive home grown free agent walk, seemingly endangering the most important position group.

And then a week later signs an arguable upgrade to replace him and you look back and every position group of need has been upgraded.

43 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wondered whether Zeitler would slide into RG or LG. It looks like he's played RG his entire career, so I would expect Glasgow to be told he's the starting LG now. Glasgow has bounced all around the IOL through his career so it shouldn't be too difficult for him to be full-time on the left side. I'm not sure if he's been noticeably better at RG or LG. The difference in what is asked of you isn't substantial at the NFL level but the footwork is very different.