Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, GoBlue23 said:

Dude has been evading police for 2 weeks now so absolutely. 

I don't want this to wander into the political section, but generally speaking I do not think that a police statement alleging someone of evading police should correlate to someone losing their right to due process.

I do think he needs to turn himself in by tomorrow morning if he wants people to give him any benefit of the doubt about the allegation of fleeing.

It just seems like it's customary for an agent or lawyer to say that Sutton will turn himself in by x date. We have heard nothing. It just seems weird and concerning that no one has come forward and said yeah Cam is fine and will be turning himself in on x date. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Guilty until proven innocent?

As much as I was pleading for waiting until we have all the evidence, there's enough evidence now that something ain't quite right. Should we throw him in jail because of that? Heck no! But is there enough here for the NFL to takes steps? Heck yeah!

I think they would have held onto him if they were concerned about the cap implications. I'm pretty certain he's voided his contract and that cap relief can be sought if needed.

I hope he's okay though. He's alleged to have committed some pretty awful things, which he should face the law for, but he's still a human whose life is collapsing before the world's eyes.

5 minutes ago, Shinzaki said:

At this point...Im more worried about his physical/ mental health

1 minute ago, GoBlue23 said:

Being honest, I'm more worried about the cap hit.  

I'm worried about both. His release has given me some resolution about his status with the Lions, but I'm still wondering what the next steps are. Gilmore would make sense, so would Sneed if those talks were had prior to all this mess occurring.

At the same time, I really do hope we hear something from him or his camp soon. His world is coming crashing down. I'm close to some people who have been alleged of similar things and these things don't happen in a vacuum. I'm not by any means excusing the allegations, but it would be disingenuous to think that this doesn't happen without CTE, or upbringing, or childhood trauma, or innumerable other contributing factors. No one wakes up one day and decides to be an abuser.

31 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

When do the Lions sign Gilmore?

It’s nice to know I’m wanted, but at 67 it would be hard for me to get into game shape. What’s the signing bonus?

Edited by Dan Gilmore
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

If I ignore the very real and very personal aspect of this for a moment, this is still a better situation than a season-ending training camp injury.

There is time to recover from this. Free agency is still open, as are trades. $4MM isn't a ton of money, but it's money we didn't expect to have. If our initial offer to Gilmore wasn't enough for instance, now we have $4MM to add to it. Sutton was probably our CB2 to enter the season. Options are aplenty to replace him.

But I still hope he's okay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

As much as I was pleading for waiting until we have all the evidence, there's enough evidence now that something ain't quite right. Should we throw him in jail because of that? Heck no! But is there enough here for the NFL to takes steps? Heck yeah!

Agreed. Hopefully, the Lions can void his contract.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm glad the Lions were decisive with cutting Sutton. Dan Campbell likes to preach accountability. Running and evading police is not accountability. 

Yeah. As much as I preached "wait and see" when this first all came out, I don't think it's possible to defend Sutton at this point. There's really no reasonable way that he could NOT know that he's wanted at this point and evading, while not in anyway shape or form a proof of guilt, it looks very, very bad. And I'm sure the Lions have attempted to communicate with Sutton and I'm also pretty sure he has not reached out to them, which is more evidence for the employer that something is very off.

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

This is a good find. It's basically what I've been looking for the last few days. The TLDR looks like that the Lions at the moment are on the hook for a $12.6MM cap hit this year and a $6.5MM cap hit next year, but that they've appealed to the NFL for relief based on Sutton's violations of the player conduct agreement, which could reduce those figures to $2.1MM this year and $6.5MM next; but that's not the case until the NFL rules, which is on their schedule not ours.

And to get the $8.6MM would require a breach of contract lawsuit. Which could take years, but of course if Sutton is as averse to the civil court system as he is the criminal court system, maybe he just won't show up.