Detroit Lions 2024 Offseason Thread

On 3/21/2024 at 4:44 PM, Dan Gilmore said:

It’s nice to know I’m wanted, but at 67 it would be hard for me to get into game shape. What’s the signing bonus?

Well you remember when that rich guy Leo Farnsworth bought the Rams and then wanted to make himself QB.  He was in his 40s.  He would have made the team if he had have disappeared.     What was season that was for the Rams.  First their QB, Joe Pendleton gets hit by a truck on his bike and killed and then their owner vanishes and they still win the Super Bowl. 

On 3/11/2024 at 10:31 AM, Hongbit said:

We will see what the market is for Sneed.  I don’t envision him costing a first.  Our late second would be ok by me for him.   If they could flip one of the 3rd’s,  then draft compensation is no big deal in a trade.   That is probably wishful thinking if he does end up with a market.  

he went for a 3rd.  same as carlton davis.

20 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm gonna be sick. Sneed got traded for a third round pick to the lowly Titans. I lost certainly would have made that deal. Damn.

i would be sick if the lions signed snead to that huge contract.

i'd rather have the third round pick.  there are 53 guys on an nfl roster and the lions are going to need to pay a lot of their guys a lot of money real soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, buddha said:

i would be sick if the lions signed snead to that huge contract.

i'd rather have the third round pick.  there are 53 guys on an nfl roster and the lions are going to need to pay a lot of their guys a lot of money real soon.

What do you think Carlton Davis, who fetched the same trade value, is going to ask for next offseason? With an increasing cap, if he plays well this year, you think he's asking for much less than Sneed?

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

What do you think Carlton Davis, who fetched the same trade value, is going to ask for next offseason? With an increasing cap, if he plays well this year, you think he's asking for much less than Sneed?

yes

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

why do you think snead went for a 3rd rounder?

you do this every offseason with every detroit team.  you see each shiny new free agent toy or trade target toy and you want to give up the farm or bust the budget to sign them.

Edited by buddha

We're not used to having our pro football team draft really well for consecutive years. 

When that happens you end up having to pay those guys to keep them. 

That starts this year and that's why you don't go for contracts like Sneed's

This team is better.   Got within 3 points of an NFC title with a very young team and a kicker the coach had no confidence in.   They'll improve simply from experience and getting a better kicker.   The pieces they added will make them better and they still have the draft in a month.     Signing another veteran CB would help because even if they draft one in the first round, it gives that player a little time to learn.   That's probably the toughest position to learn (outside of QB) in football - another veteran gives the rookies a little time.  I think they'll draft 2.    CB - Edge - Guard - CB - WR - K ?

Could they take a step back this year?   Sure.  But they are building this team to last a long time and if Brad keeps drafting this well, we'll want heads to roll after a 9-8 season.  

53 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

We're not used to having our pro football team draft really well for consecutive years. 

When that happens you end up having to pay those guys to keep them. 

That starts this year and that's why you don't go for contracts like Sneed's

This team is better.   Got within 3 points of an NFC title with a very young team and a kicker the coach had no confidence in.   They'll improve simply from experience and getting a better kicker.   The pieces they added will make them better and they still have the draft in a month.     Signing another veteran CB would help because even if they draft one in the first round, it gives that player a little time to learn.   That's probably the toughest position to learn (outside of QB) in football - another veteran gives the rookies a little time.  I think they'll draft 2.    CB - Edge - Guard - CB - WR - K ?

Could they take a step back this year?   Sure.  But they are building this team to last a long time and if Brad keeps drafting this well, we'll want heads to roll after a 9-8 season.  

I don't think they'll take a step back, but I think they are kind of at the point, at 12-5 and an NFCCG appearance, that a lateral step is effectively as good as you can hope for. Teams don't go 16-1 in today's NFL. The best record in the NFL last year was the Ravens at 13-4. A team hasn't even finished with less than 3 losses since the expansion to 17 games. At some point, the difference between 10-7, 11-6, 12-5, 14-3, and 16-1 isn't comparable season to season. It's what you do in January and hopefully February that matters when you're in that camp.

I think all I'm trying to say is, if they go 10-7 because a couple bad breaks go their way or they suffer a key injury or two, the torches and pitchforks are staying locked up... I think they're at the point where if they suffer a tough loss in October against the Bears or Vikings, and the instinct is to get angry and complain about how they'll regret that game in week 18, to remember that it's okay, because the real important games should be the ones we are playing come January.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I don't think they'll take a step back, but I think they are kind of at the point, at 12-5 and an NFCCG appearance, that a lateral step is effectively as good as you can hope for. Teams don't go 16-1 in today's NFL.

This. 12 wins is not a gimme for any team at any time.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So how much less of a cap hit do you think Davis signs for compared to Sneed?

snead didnt even go for a 3rd rounder this year, he went for NEXT year's thirs round pick.  that's even lower value.

i think they'll extend davis and lower his cap hit.  i dont know how much, but i think it will be lower than snead's $20m.

I don't know what makes you think Sneed is a true number 1 when KC doesn't even treat him like one nor do they even put him on the best receiver in games. On top of that he lead all defenders in pass interference penalties and in play penalties overall.

Not trying to say he isn't good nor would be an upgrade over what we have but lets not pretend he is Sauce Gardner or one of the true CB1s, he's a good player that is being paid like an elite one. I'm not giving up a 3rd round draft pick for that right. 

• Thanks 1

I don't think he's dead. If those absolutely closest to him - his parents, siblings, and close friends that see him or talk to him frequently - were concerned, it would be out by now. There'd be a missing persons report, or a press release from his agent. The reason nothing has come out from his "camp" is very likely because there is nothing sympathetic to report.

He's just choosing not to turn himself in yet. The police aren't concerned either.