2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

13 hours ago, oblong said:

And it’s not an ego thing, like I won’t get paid,  but seeing those non HR as probable outs.  So he has to adjust. Then adjust on the road. I think over a season that wears on a player. A guy coming in for the weekend will just play his game since it’s only 3 games. But a 7 game homestand means you need to try something. 

Oh, I think there's some honesty about future paydays.  I don't know if it falls under ego or not.  But he's right about how his age and batting line will be used during the 2024-2025 offseason.  He's already got the lack of defense tied to him, too, which will exclude some teams from acquiring his services.  And he was just signed recently for this season, late enough that he's going to have to take his spring training to AAA.  So, he's already got a few things going against him.

19 hours ago, christinagi said:

What happened to Badoo? I haven't seen much written about him, but it seems like it's been a forgone conclusion all spring that he would not make the team.

He has been forgotten.  Sort of like the second “d” in his last name.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2024 at 1:00 PM, Edman85 said:

Fan: Is there a chance they can add somebody like Trevor Bauer?

Dan: (interrupting) No on Trevor Bauer. I hope he never gets a chance to play in this league again. Maybe you have another idea, but not Trevor Bauer.

Fan: Didn't he get found not guilty?

Dan: No, he found a judge who gave him an unbelievably favorable ruling that defied all logic and law.

Fan: I thought there was audio tap...

Dan: (interrupting) He has serious mental health issues and does not belong in Major League Baseball. Find somebody else because it's not going to be Trevor Bauer.

Fan: So he's going to be blackballed. No, I don't have anybody else, he was the guy. I think the guy was framed.

Dan: You need to read up on it more.

Fan: Wasn't the girl admitting she was scamming Trevor Bauer?

Dan: No

Caputo: Your basing it on... Bauer on social media thing... He's got an agent who's a very smart person. They've been putting spin on it.. (further rambling backing Dan and smoothing the edges)

Dan: Nobody should sign this guy. He basically admitted in court what he did. He found a judge who said because she didn't specifically say she was unconscious that he couldn't do what he did because she didn't say that which is found nowhere in law. That's why he did not face the consequences he should have. That's the guy they want back in the league?

Just bumping because...

https://theathletic.com/5421587/2024/04/17/trevor-bauer-accuser-fraud-charge/

I'm not saying this is what's happening here, and that numerous women coordinated on a strategy to get Trevor Bauer, or anything like that. But I can see how, in an repulsive and compromising sexual situation that involves a famous party, the other party could be tempted to blackmail the famous party with exposure of the behavior not because it's criminal per se, but because it is so repulsive that people paying only headline attention to it would assume criminality, and a lot of famous people not named Trevor Bauer would cave to it. Again, I am not saying five different women did coordinate on this particular instance. They almost certainly did not. But I could see how one of the five might decide to go for that.

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm not saying this is what's happening here, and that numerous women coordinated on a strategy to get Trevor Bauer, or anything like that. But I can see how, in an repulsive and compromising sexual situation that involves a famous party, the other party could be tempted to blackmail the famous party with exposure of the behavior not because it's criminal per se, but because it is so repulsive that people paying only headline attention to it would assume criminality, and a lot of famous people not named Trevor Bauer would cave to it. Again, I am not saying five different women did coordinate on this particular instance. They almost certainly did not. But I could see how one of the five might decide to go for that.

While unlikely, I don't know that a coordinated effort is far fetched.  They could even have been recruited to do so and Bauer may have been seen as an easy target.  On the other hand, Bauer is openly disrepectful of women, so it's also not surprising that he would be a serial abuser.