2024 Detroit Tigers Spring Training Thread

40 minutes ago, SkyBlue said:

I understand and remember him as well.

Keith has played at second, sure small sample size, however his coaching and development in Detroit is far superior to anything Sizemore had in his brief tenure in Detroit.  I also like the Urshela signing.  But, offense is most definitely the biggest question mark for this team.

As long as Comerica plays as a pitchers' park where it's hard to jack bombs, the Tigers are always going to be challenged to put together a top offense.

39 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Ok. So if Brieske had a 28.50 ERA he would make the team as long as he was throwing quality strikes? Stats are a part of the decision on who makes a team, sometimes. Other (most) times, I agree, they're very meaningless.

They may seem like a part of the decision if they agree with the behind the scenes analysis

59 minutes ago, Longgone said:

What if a couple of big leaguers had run into a couple of Zumayas fastballs with men on instead of missing them? It’s baseball, could easily happen. That drastically changes his stats. Does that change his capabilities or projection? Does it alter the team’s perception of him? Not at all.

The other thing is that you cannot compare the situation with pitchers versus hitters esp in terms of ST. It's apples and oranges. Pitchers are much easier to evaluate in terms of observables. If a guy is throwing 99 with life and command of the zone and control of his secondary pitches(I.e JV), he can pitch the majors - once those things can be seen his probability of success is high enough you take him with you. He may flame out but it will be cause he loses his command or hurts his arm. A hitter can put up a 1000 ops against ST pitchers and it means virtually nothing. The sample size is too small, the pitching is too erratic, and hitting is a marathon - the fact that a guy can hold the concentration to stay on the ball for a couple weeks means little in terms of his ability to do it for it for 500 AB and after he's been seriously scouted..

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If the Tigers can't find a better shortstop than Vintage 2023 Javier Baez within the next four years, I might actually start losing faith in the Harris administration.

I think if they find a cheap shortstop who is better than Baez, they'll replace him.  I can't see them replacing him with Kreidler who hasn't hit at all in the majors, wasn't even that great even in the minors and is 26.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe after his contract expires, we'll be able to afford some real players. We said that for the last 2 or 3 years of Miggys contract and look at all the All-Star players we signed...😆

Which of the contracts signed this past offseason would you like the Tigers to have?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

Ok. So if Brieske had a 28.50 ERA he would make the team as long as he was throwing quality strikes? 

If the organization deems that Brieske has the greater ability and the better capability of getting major league hitters out, he gets the job, even if his era is 28 and his competition era is zero. They will weigh all factors of his spring and past performance, not simply his spring training stats.

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I'd rather see Kreidler at SS than Baez just because I don't like them being stuck with Baez for four years.  However, I have no more confidnce in Kreidler than I do in Baez as a regular over a full season.  

I would keep Baez in the bottom 3rd of the order and take his defense.  I’m not sure they have any other better overall options for SS at this point.  Now, if Baez is still flailing away at the plate and if Kreidler has done well at Toledo through Memorial Day, then maybe there’s a discussion to be had.

6 minutes ago, casimir said:

Which of the contracts signed this past offseason would you like the Tigers to have?

Exactly.     

First of all people act like the Tigers didn't even try to sign any one of the big ones, but maybe they did and they were met with a hard NO or the demand was way too steep.    I am very glad they didn't pay Sonny Gray the contract he got at his age.   He'll help the Cardinals for a year or two but I wouldn't want that deal here.    Cody Bellinger?  Why?  We need our young OFers to play and get ABs.   Matt Chapman?  Maybe they tried and were just told no.   I'll keep saying that it reminds me of everyone going crazy over Rich Aurillia back in the day.   Not only did we avoid that horrible deal, but it got us Carlos Guillen who was one of the key players in their comeback.       Aaron Nola was off the board immediately.  There was never any shot at Ohtani or Yamamoto.   Not sure on Snell.  I doubt he'd come here without a ridiculous price.    I think they actually got two pretty good starters for a good price.   Not expecting Cy Young awards, but both pitchers are solid and Flaherty has something to prove - I think.  They both seem motivated.   I'm fine with their offseason.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, casimir said:

I would keep Baez in the bottom 3rd of the order and take his defense.  I’m not sure they have any other better overall options for SS at this point.  Now, if Baez is still flailing away at the plate and if Kreidler has done well at Toledo through Memorial Day, then maybe there’s a discussion to be had.

Javy had hits in the last 3 games, so maybe he's coming out of the funk or maybe with the season drawing near his intensity level is getting sharper.    I don't think Spring Training means a whole lot to veterans who have a guaranteed spot.   I hope so, because if he could be north of .250 BA than that would be great.   Not much to ask for 25 mil a year, but I'll take it over last year's disaster. 

39 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think if they find a cheap shortstop who is better than Baez, they'll replace him.  I can't see them replacing him with Kreidler who hasn't hit at all in the majors, wasn't even that great even in the minors and is 26.

That’s what I think, and it shouldn’t take four years to do it. Might take a couple, though.

19 minutes ago, casimir said:

I think Hinch might start him up the order in hopes that he finds himself, but if he struggles like he did last year, I don’t think it will take until August to move him to the bottom third.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think Hinch might start him up the order in hopes that he finds himself, but if he struggles like he did last year, I don’t think it will take until August to move him to the bottom third.

I would think that some sort of combination of Greene, Torkelson, Canha, Carpenter are the 1st 4 hitters.  Meadows and whomever is catching are probably the bottom 2.  I guess depending upon whomever is at 3B to go along with Baez and Keith around the IF and however the matchup vs the opposing SP looks might bounce Baez around 5th, 6th, or 7th early on.

29 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Javy had hits in the last 3 games, so maybe he's coming out of the funk or maybe with the season drawing near his intensity level is getting sharper.    I don't think Spring Training means a whole lot to veterans who have a guaranteed spot.   I hope so, because if he could be north of .250 BA than that would be great.   Not much to ask for 25 mil a year, but I'll take it over last year's disaster. 

I think its interesting to note that while Baez had two of his better SO% seasons the last two seasons, he also had his two worst EV seasons.  BABIP and ISO were poor last season.

6 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

Snell, Chapman , Belanger and Jordan Montgomery 1 or 2 year concracts arent gonna kill the Tigers

Snell signed for 2 years $62 mill.

**** no! No thank you very much.

Chapman signed for 3 years $54 mill.

Nope! No thank you very much.

Cody Bellinger signed for 3 years $80 mill.

Montgomery wants 7 years $172 mill.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think he is probably in the bottom third on 3/28

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, 1984Echoes said:

Snell signed for 2 years $62 mill.

Chapman signed for 3 years $54 mill.

Nope! No thank you very much.

Cody Bellinger signed for 3 years $80 mill.

Montgomery wants 7 years $172 mill.

Realistically, Chapman and Snell will most likely opt out after this year. I was only interested in Chapman as I thought he would fill an immediate need here. Everything is 20/20 hindsight at this point, but Chapman would have been the perfect placeholder for one year at third base in Detroit. 
Urshela was a solid move as an alternate choice. 

The Tigers off season was solid and properly measured for where they are as a franchise. Flattery, Maeda, Miller, Canna , Chafin and Urshela filled holes and provided much needed depth. Committing to Keith at second and moving Jung to third was solid as well. 

2024 is the year we find out once and for all what type of players we have in Greene, Torkelson, Mize, Skubal and Carpenter. How they do will go a long way in deciding our 2024 off season shopping when real $$$ could be expensed. Do we have a middle of the order or not and is our pitching "set" as much as pitching ever is stable. They have to be our best five players and do really well if we are going to win the Central. 

Edited by SoCalTiger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

10 hours ago, Toddwert said:

Snell, Chapman , Belanger and Jordan Montgomery 1 or 2 year concracts arent gonna kill the Tigers

Are you willing to give up draft compensation for 1-2 years on any of those players?

9 hours ago, 1776 said:

Realistically, Chapman and Snell will most likely opt out after this year. I was only interested in Chapman as I thought he would fill an immediate need here. Everything is 20/20 hindsight at this point, but Chapman would have been the perfect placeholder for one year at third base in Detroit. 
Urshela was a solid move as an alternate choice. 

That's kind of where I am at.  Chapman might have been the best 3B on the market, and his glove alongside Baez would have been fun on the left side of the IF, but his offense has dropped a bit from his prime Oakland days.  Ignoring the compensation, I think he'd have been worth a short term deal to handle 3B while Jung is in the minors and to help lengthen the lineup a bit.

I think Snell is suspect to coming back to earth this season.  He walked a lot of batter last season and benefitted from BABIP.  So, I wasn't into paying him off of a Cy Young season.  A shorter term deal, ok, that's different.  But, again, there's the draft compensation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Are you willing to give up draft compensation for 1-2 years on any of those players?

yes ... draft picks are always lotto tickets I think we' have been lucky lately with drafts but there has been way more drafts for the Tigers werent got one player

10 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

2024 is the year we find out once and for all what type of players we have in Greene, Torkelson, Mize, Skubal and Carpenter

don't forget Meadows. If he can stick he's probably worth 0.15 on the team ERA by himself.

Edited by gehringer_2