3/12/24 1:05PM EDT Twins @ Tigers

25 minutes ago, LongLiveMaroth said:

It is fun to watch Tiger's Twitter go crazy over this one inning but have otherwise complained since the day he was drafted over Mayer. 

It's also fun to see what a player development department that knows what the hell it is doing can do with raw talent basically anyone can pick.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

In 2026? yes.

No way it take until 2026 to reach the bigs for that stuff unless your assuming it take a year or so at that level to be a #2. 

Personally I think arms only last so long so why wait. He has 3 pitches now. Maybe wait until June to keep a year of control. 

Not to be irrational, which I am about to be 😃 , Sign JD and bring up Jobe. The Central is really weak. And with Skubal and Jobe in short series....is it 2006 or 2024 ? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Barring injury it feels almost certain that Jobe will be up at some point later this year even if its just for a start or 2 and next year he should be entrenched in the rotation.

well, command for one inning is not proof of starting level command, but OTOH, if he's not walking people after half a dozen starts in Toledo there would be no point to keeping him there other than that a trade to move a starter hadn't been completed.

38 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

No way it take until 2026 to reach the bigs for that stuff unless your assuming it take a year or so at that level to be a #2. 

Personally I think arms only last so long so why wait. He has 3 pitches now. Maybe wait until June to keep a year of control. 

Not to be irrational, which I am about to be 😃 , Sign JD and bring up Jobe. The Central is really weak. And with Skubal and Jobe in short series....is it 2006 or 2024 ? 

I say 2026 because I figure Jobe played only as high as a sniff of AA last year, so I figure he's going to start at AA and maybe some AAA this year, and then start at AAA with maybe a mid- to late-season callup next year. So by the time Spring 2026 rolls around, he'll be a solid #2 to Tarik Skubal, who will be the reigning two-time Cy Young winner with a World Series MVP ring and under control for two more years after that. (Hey, a boy can dream, can't he?)

Now, I could be all wet on Jobe's timeline, and maybe they will feel in short order that he is so advanced, they can't keep him down any longer. So i can't reject out-of-hand the idea that we will see him in Detroit sometime this season. We don't know how this front office will handle young hotshot advancement because we haven't seen them get that opportunity yet. But I do think they will make ultra-certain that when it's time, he will be stepping into a situation in which he will succeed, and not be thrown in over his head while we cross our fingers and wish upon a star. We don't need a repeat of the TORK! callup debacle.

As for J.D.: no room for him at the inn.

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I say 2026 because I figure Jobe played only as high as a sniff of AA last year, so I figure he's going to start at AA and maybe some AAA this year, and then start at AAA with maybe a mid- to late-season callup next year. So by the time Spring 2026 rolls around, he'll be a solid #2 to Tarik Skubal, who will be the reigning two-time Cy Young winner with a World Series MVP ring and under control for two more years after that. (Hey, a boy can dream, can't he?)

Now, I could be all wet on Jobe's timeline, and maybe they will feel in short order that he is so advanced, they can't keep him down any longer. So i can't reject out-of-hand the idea that we will see him in Detroit sometime this season. We don't know how this front office will handle young hotshot advancement because we haven't seen them get that opportunity yet. But I do think they will make ultra-certain that when it's time, he will be stepping into a situation in which he will succeed, and not be thrown in over his head while we cross our fingers and wish upon a star. We don't need a repeat of the TORK! callup debacle.

As for J.D.: no room for him at the inn.

Maybe the Tigers will wait until they have a lineup capable of scoring 3 or 4 runs a game. I'm not impressed with the moves Harris didn't make. Maybe he wasn't allowed to spend the Cabrera money that we all hoped would be spent on some professional hitters. But at least he got us a player who's good at.....getting hit by pitches. Lol

48 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe the Tigers will wait until they have a lineup capable of scoring 3 or 4 runs a game. I'm not impressed with the moves Harris didn't make. Maybe he wasn't allowed to spend the Cabrera money that we all hoped would be spent on some professional hitters. But at least he got us a player who's good at.....getting hit by pitches. Lol

I think we have enough latent talent in the organization right now that I feel confident they can take another year to figure out who can stick and who can go, and at whichever positions they fall short, they can backfill through the marketplace. I think I have a handle on what their plan is, and I like the approach. I'm an old man, but I think I have another year for them to work through the process.

Besides: they just might surprise us all this year with what they have.

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

It's also fun to see what a player development department that knows what the hell it is doing can do with raw talent basically anyone can pick.

Anybody could have picked him, but a lot of fans didn't like the pick.  If he succeeds, whoever was responsible for the pick deserves a lot of credit.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Thats where I am at. Draft picks aren’t finished products 

32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think we have enough latent talent in the organization right now that I feel confident they can take another year to figure out who can stick and who can go, and at whichever positions they fall short, they can backfill through the marketplace. I think I have a handle on what their plan is, and I like the approach. I'm an old man, but I think I have another year for them to work through the process.

Besides: they just might surprise us all this year with what they have.

I think they would surprise people if they play .500 baseball. With the Lions improvement, it puts more pressure on the Tigers to win. Our division is so weak...

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

I think they would surprise people if they play .500 baseball. With the Lions improvement, it puts more pressure on the Tigers to win. Our division is so weak...

We are seeing that the pitching could be very good and they can catch  the ball well enough  but with all the young hitters the run scoring could be anything from terrible to average. If they get average, they can be a good team, but so far this spring it's hard to have a lot of confidence that are going to get close to average. Several regulars that haven't shown much so far have 2 more weeks to get their act together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1