April Game Thread

Just now, lordstanley said:

Larkin had the chance to win it but couldn’t. So Karlsson buried one. Pens win 6-5 in OT. 

Pens strategy was to rag the puck until Larkin and Raymond had to get off, and it worked. Wings just don't have a 2nd set of winning 3 on 3 skaters.

We are no longer in control of anything...

However...

We play at Toronto & a home-and-home with Montreal.

Penguins play Boston, Nashville, and at the Islanders (tough games but they've been on a HOT roll...)

Islanders play at the Rangers, at the Devils, and then home against the Penguins. They're tied at Montreal right now with 2 min's to go...

Caps play Tampa, Boston, and at the Flyers.

We still have a chance...

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

We are no longer in control of anything...

However...

We play at Toronto & a home-and-home with Montreal.

Penguins play Boston, Nashville, and at the Islanders (tough games but they've been on a HOT roll...)

Islanders play at the Rangers, at the Devils, and then home against the Penguins. They're tied at Montreal right now with 2 min's to go...

Caps play Tampa, Boston, and at the Flyers.

We still have a chance...

Yep, amazingly, if that shot by Larkin had gone in I’d have rated the Wings’ chances at better than 50/50 all of a sudden. 

Would like to see the Isles drop a point in OT tonight. Wings probably won’t catch them, but at the very least I don’t want NYI to have clinched going into a Game 82 vs Pitt that would be meaningless for them. 

Getting annoyed by some people saying "the Wings weren't expected to be in the playoffs this year" or "they're in the mix the last weekend of the season, which is all anyone could have hoped for".  They have 85 points. Last year at this point they had 80 points (and finished with 80 points). Big whoop. Only reason going into the season we should have thought playoffs might be a stretch is if the cut line would be around 96 points like it often is (8th place in the West right now is 94 pts with 3 games to play). If we knew going in that 90 or 91 points would be enough to make the playoffs, then absolutely I would have said missing the playoffs would be a disappointment. That's not even considering the collapse of the past 20 games. 

And the 85 points includes big contributions from 35-year old Kane who might not be here next year and 50 pts from about-to-be 31 yr old Gostisbehere who might not be here next year and from goalie Lyon. Only player under 30 who took a step forward this year is Lucas Raymond. Maybe count Edvinsson getting some action here at end. No reason to think the Wings will be a shoo-in for 95+ points next season.

44 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Getting annoyed by some people saying "the Wings weren't expected to be in the playoffs this year" or "they're in the mix the last weekend of the season, which is all anyone could have hoped for".  They have 85 points. Last year at this point they had 80 points (and finished with 80 points). Big whoop. Only reason going into the season we should have thought playoffs might be a stretch is if the cut line would be around 96 points like it often is (8th place in the West right now is 94 pts with 3 games to play). If we knew going in that 90 or 91 points would be enough to make the playoffs, then absolutely I would have said missing the playoffs would be a disappointment. That's not even considering the collapse of the past 20 games. 

And the 85 points includes big contributions from 35-year old Kane who might not be here next year and 50 pts from about-to-be 31 yr old Gostisbehere who might not be here next year and from goalie Lyon. Only player under 30 who took a step forward this year is Lucas Raymond. Maybe count Edvinsson getting some action here at end. No reason to think the Wings will be a shoo-in for 95+ points next season.

Agree. The question is progress. The conference is weaker, but the year to year point improvement is still anemic. This has been a very weird team - maybe I've just watched it closer but it seemed to ping pong between great and terrible more than any team should. The hot stretches made you question the coaching in the cold ones, the cold stretches left you wondering if the good stretches were just a mirage. And it continued the odd Wings phenomenon of new acquisitions playing great for a month and then disappearing.

But it sort of proves the point that making progress in trades and signings of NHL players is very slow going, the big jumps come from the guys you draft and the Wings didn't bring anyone up this year until they finally ran out of reasons to keep Edvinsson in GR. If Cossa is the real deal a step up in the goal tending next season could drive the next point total increment.

25 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

But it sort of proves the point that making progress in trades and signings of NHL players is very slow going, the big jumps come from the guys you draft and the Wings didn't bring anyone up this year until they finally ran out of reasons to keep Edvinsson in GR. If Cossa is the real deal a step up in the goal tending next season could drive the next point total increment.

you would expect to see gains from edvinsson, johannson, kasper, and mazur next year.  i still think danielson might be a sneaky addition but yzerman appears to be from the holland school of slow promotion.  

but now half those guys are blocked by the holls and petrys of the world.

to me, rasmussen and debrincat are the big disappointments this year.  you really saw rasmussen at times last year turn into the big power forwars he was drafted to be.  this year he turned back into the weak player we saw in the previous year.

in defense of ths current administration, this is where the failure in the 2016-2018 drafts kill them.  they have nothing of substance to show from all those picks holland obtained and then wasted.  especially top ten picks in ras and zadina who should be in their primes right now.

i know nobody wants to hear excuses and patience, but the timeline is really the next two years when the new draft picks should reach the big leagues.

if there is one criticism of yzerman, its the inability to turn the cap space they had into a difference making player and/or massive amounts of draft capital.  instead, they spent on "steady" vets like copp, compher, perron, and chairot.  

i understand the reasoning of trying to be competitive.  you dont want to be the pistons and have nothing but young players and no vets to provide substance and leadership.  otoh, if you spend all your money on average players you get average results.  and that's exactly what weve seen from them.

otoh, do you want to be the wings or the islanders?  the islanders traded for very good but not elite players and are capped out with a few of them and nothing in their system.  they hired a "torts" type coach who will yell and scream and get immediate results and soon flame out.  they "went for it" and will likely end up in the 8th seed and beat soundly in round 1.

is that what we want?  did we want to deal #1 picks and solid prospects for bo horvath?  or do we want sandin-pelikka and danielson?

to me that was the choice because the wings did not have anything of substance in the farm system pre-yzerman other than hronek, who got them ASP.

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

you really saw rasmussen at times last year turn into the big power forwars he was drafted to be.  this year he turned back into the weak player we saw in the previous year.

This is kind of out of left field but Ras reminds me of Rasheed Wallace in a way. Players that have a level they can show but can't hit consistently or even most of the time. Rasheed's baseline was higher than Ras' but the idea that there was always more there that wasn't showing is the same. I sort of wonder if sometimes with big guys if it's a physiological thing, that maybe its genetics and they just can't get to a high enough metabolic output consistently. That would certainly be a factor in both basketball and hockey.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

This is kind of out of left field but Ras reminds me of Rasheed Wallace in a way. Players that have a level they can show but can't hit consistently or even most of the time. Rasheed's baseline was higher than Ras' but the idea that there was always more there that wasn't showing is the same. I sort of wonder if sometimes with big guys if it's a physiological thing, that maybe its genetics and they just can't get to a high enough metabolic output consistently. That would certainly be a factor in both basketball and hockey.

wallace was one of the best players in the league when he out his mind to it.  he was just lazy and addicted to pot.

ras has shown maybe two weeks worth of games where he is a difference maker.  reminds me more of james wiseman.  a guy with ideal size and immense talent who just cant put it together.

actually that's harsh.  ras is at least a contributor.  wiseman is one of the worst players in the league.

7 minutes ago, buddha said:

ras has shown maybe two weeks worth of games where he is a difference maker.

The best outcome for the Wings would be to find out Ras has one of those silent abdominal tears (i.e "sports hernia") slowing him down. Short of that the disappointment probably continues.....

1 hour ago, buddha said:

but yzerman appears to be from the holland school of slow promotion. 

I disagree a bit, he showed a willingness to use Seider and Raymond right away at a young age.  I think he just has veryhigh standards for the young players.  Edvinsson is definitely a nice addition to the team but I can also see why he was still in the AHL with some of his play.  Seider and Raymond had already excelled against adults over in Sweden and Edvinsson still seems to have some brain farts.  I do agree with you on Danielson, I think he's going to make the team next season.  He plays a complete game and showed well in preseason last season, so I would not be shocked if he is another Seider/Raymond type.  I'd like the team to give him and Albert Johannson a fair shake at making the roster next season.  Johannson has been having a solid season and his coaches and teammates rave about him.  Maybe the Wings can get creative and attach an excess d-man in a trade with Beggren or something.  I would not re-sign Gostisbehere personally, he's served his purpose keeping Seider's power play points down for his next contract 😉 

I am assuming Edvinsson will be in Detroit, and while I would love a look at Kasper I can see them wanting to give him a full season of top line center in Grand Rapids to see how it goes (he's worked his way up there from the fourth line this year).  I think he and Cossa will get a few games next season but be regulars in GR.  Mazur could get a look too.

• Like 1

Husso got pulled from a rehab start due to injury in warm ups.  If he's not going to heal, he coukd be the LTIR guy that allows Stevie some more flexibility.

Kasper has played...between GR and Europe.. 200 games as a pro.  I'm expecting him to start in Detroit next year and will be disappointed if he doesn't 

maybe we need to attach berggren to a deal in order for a team to take holl's contract?

kidding.  sort of.  i dont really rate berggren that much but maybe another team thinks they can get something out of him?

Posted (edited)

DeBrincat actually scores? 1-1 tie. 

Flyers win complicates things. If the Wings don’t pick up at least a point tonight they’ll only be alive by the thinnest of margins (even if Washington loses in regulation) since Philly-Washington play each other to end the season 

Edited by lordstanley