April Game Thread

The Kane goal in Chicago was definitely the highlight of the season until last night, or last week if you must, but maybe I'm too level headed than most sports fans and I am not trying to be cocky about it.  I get it. It's sports.  It's an outlet.  Take the highs and lows and vent.  Better to do that in sports than real life.  

My point is just enjoy this because I always say the ride up for a team is so much better than the ride down.  IT's all new and fresh and less stressful.  The 2006 Tigers were more fun than the 2013-2014 Tigers and for the Wings franchise I always had a soft spot for 87 and 88.  1997 was as awesome of an experience you can get but part of that was due to feeling "It's about freaking time!".  Then for 12 years it was Stanley Cup or Bust.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'm fed up with the naysayers....  did anybody reasonably expect them to make the playoffs higher than a 7 or 8 seed?

I've listened or watched parts of every game this year and was fortunate enough to be able to attend 5 games.  Regardless of what happens tonight this has been the most fun Red Wing season since they lost to Chicago in the 2013 playoffs, after leading 3-1.  Yes they had the losing streaks and blown leads, etc..... but that's the mark of a 7 or 8 seeded team so what did you expect?

They are who we thought they were. Marginally a playoff team. No real personality yet… maybe soon Yzerman’s vision of having a bunch of hulking defensemen and a massive goaltender to clog up the back end will come to fruition. Meaningful hockey in April is good, though. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, oblong said:

The Kane goal in Chicago was definitely the highlight of the season until last night, or last week if you must, but maybe I'm too level headed than most sports fans and I am not trying to be cocky about it.  I get it. It's sports.  It's an outlet.  Take the highs and lows and vent.  Better to do that in sports than real life.  

My point is just enjoy this because I always say the ride up for a team is so much better than the ride down.  IT's all new and fresh and less stressful.  The 2006 Tigers were more fun than the 2013-2014 Tigers and for the Wings franchise I always had a soft spot for 87 and 88.  1997 was as awesome of an experience you can get but part of that was due to feeling "It's about freaking time!".  Then for 12 years it was Stanley Cup or Bust.

The entertainment value this season has been a 9 out of 10. Just in the last week alone, fighting back from 2 down late to take the Pens to OT, blowing a big lead to Toronto but winning in OT, falling into a big hole to Montreal but winning in OT. Before that, being in the top 5 in the NHL for goals scored and starting 2024 with a 16-4-2 stretch which showed that for awhile the Wings could play with anyone. The ups and downs are what make being a sports fan memorable. But I'm not going to let them off the hook for a 4-11-2 stretch, and if the Wings miss the playoffs Lalonde should be on the hot seat. I just think there's a bit of tendency for the Red Wings brass to say stuff like "no one dreamed we'd be in position" when in reality they're neither outperforming not underperforming expectations for this season - as shown in the preseason thread, most of us expected them to be around 90 points and on the playoff bubble. Which at 89 points and tied for the last playoff spot with 1 game to go is exactly where they are.

Edited by lordstanley
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Wings look tight. 

Maybe I'm just especially attuned it the last few games because the stakes have been so high, but it seems like there has been an unusually high amount of turnovers by Red Wings defensemen this week in their zone. Not just Petry. Also Seider, Edvinsson.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, oblong said:

I hate the Maple leafs so bad that season Allan Bester and Wendel Clark

7 hours ago, oblong said:

Anytime you are not out of it with 2 weeks to go is "fun".   This is better than bein done in February, but it's very frustrating because they had this. 

1 - Fell apart from one injury (which is a sign of a pretty weak team, actually). 

2 - Coach broke up a line that was scoring in bunches and didn't put the line back together until the last week  (don't fix what ain't broke)

3 - They don't have an ace Goaltender.   (Lyon is unproven over the long haul and not feelin Cossa is the guy)