4/4 DH Game 1 12:10PM EDT Game 2 TBD Tigers @ Mets

8 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Pittsburgh lead the NL central for while in the first half last year. 
Tigers will be in Pittsburgh next week. Battle of the “natural rivals.” 

If the Tigers have a “natural rival” it’s the Cubs. Especially because the Cubs denied World Series championships to Ty Cobb over 100 years ago and this is something that we should not forget. Myself, I hold a grudge.

28 minutes ago, theroundsquare said:

Must be the money!  Pitchers will get dinged in contract negotiations/arbitration for ERA.  No ghost runner earned run = a non-zero impact on keeping ERAs low

Well, in no other situation does a pitcher get dinged with an earned run for allowing an inherited runner to score. The ghost runner is just another inherited runner, as he is on base through no fault of the pitcher.

1 minute ago, clark1mt said:

Well, in no other situation does a pitcher get dinged with an earned run for allowing an inherited runner to score. The ghost runner is just another inherited runner, as he is on base through no fault of the pitcher.

yeah- plenty of runs go in the books as unearned, there is no logical reason runs scored by the ghostrunner don't also.

3 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

If the Tigers have a “natural rival” it’s the Cubs. Especially because the Cubs denied World Series championships to Ty Cobb over 100 years ago and this is something that we should not forget. Myself, I hold a grudge.

Using that theory, the Pirates last denied Cobb the World Series in 1909. Do you hold a grudge against them as well?

8 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Maybe if (when?) the Jerk Sox move to Nashville, they'll update accordingly

3 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Tigers-Cubs World Series:

1907 Cubs win 4 games to (1) tie.

1908 Cubs win 4 games to 1.

1935 Tigers win 4 games to 2.

1945 Tigers win 4 games to 3.

Just enough history and definitely close enough geographically and there has been some city-to-city rivalry between the two that... Yes, this should be our natural rival. Hands down.

Detroit & Pittsburgh's reasons for rivalry are: (1) sort of close geographically, (2) Both are Rust Belt cities trying to reforge (literally) a different future.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CMU97 said:

Using that theory, the Pirates last denied Cobb the World Series in 1909. Do you hold a grudge against them as well?

No. My brother-in-law grew up as a Pittsburgh fan and rejected a class D contract from the Pirates out of high school in the early 50s because he wanted to go to college become an engineer instead so for his sake I can’t hold anything against the Pirates. I’m not at least bit logical. I’m totally an emotional fan.

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

First time I've ever seen that call. Umpire interference

At least he was honest.

Rogers smacked his elbow (not hard) against the ump's facemask as he was making the throw...

Ump immediately pointed to the top of his own head "Yeah, it was me...".

9 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

No. My brother-in-law grew up as a Pittsburgh fan and rejected a class D contract from the Pirates out of high school in the early 50s because he wanted to go to college become an engineer instead so for his sake I can’t hold anything against the Pirates. I’m not at least bit logical. I’m totally an emotional fan.

They still have a piece of my heart. Family homestead was about 30 miles west of Pittsburgh, near McKeesport. I was 8 in 1960. My son was born 9 months after the We Are Family Bucs won the series.

When we moved south in the mid '60, one of the Pirates farm clubs were in nearby Salem, first as their Rookie League team, then Class A Salem. It was fun watching guys like Dave Parker, Ed Ott, John Candelaria and Omar Moreno come up in the minors.

• Like 1

Listening to the Mets TV team. Used to listen Gary Cohen back in the 80s. He spent some time doing the Norfolk Tides broadcast in those days. Incidently he was employed at the same radio station as Bob Rathbun. They were here at the same time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

They still have a piece of my heart. Family homestead was about 30 miles west of Pittsburgh, near McKeesport. I was 8 in 1960. My son was born 9 months after the We Are Family Bucs won the series.

When we moved south in the mid '60, one of the Pirates farm clubs were in nearby Salem, first as their Rookie League team, then Class A Salem. It was fun watching guys like Dave Parker, Ed Ott, John Candelaria and Omar Moreno come up in the minors.

That’s a great story. My brother-in-law, who became an engineer instead of a class D, Pirates minor-league pitcher was great to watch a game with partly because of his engineer mentality I think. He had a razor sharp interest in the game that was infectious and dragged you into it in an incredibly satisfying manner.  I went to six games in the 1980s in Nashua New Hampshire which was the Pirates AA team and I had more fun with him at a game than anyone in my life. He saw Ted Kluszewski in the stands and told me about him and the Pieates won every single game coming from behind as either a walk off or with runs scored in the eighth inning. It was like this little miracle staged for the two of us.

• Like 2

I'm watching SNY too...

Multi-tasking between watching/ listening to the Mets broadcast, texting my brother about the game, and posting in here. Oh, and work too, but that's obviously not as important as the previous 3... even though I'm working towards our 10Q again...

13 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

That’s a great story. My brother-in-law, who became an engineer instead of a class D, Pirates minor-league pitcher was great to watch a game with partly because of his engineer mentality I think. He had a razor sharp interest in the game that was infectious and dragged you into it in an incredibly satisfying manner.  I went to six games in the 1980s in Nashua New Hampshire which was the Pirates AA team and I had more fun with him at a game than anyone in my life. He saw Ted Kluszewski in the stands and told me about him and the Pieates won every single game coming from behind as either a walk off or with runs scored in the eighth inning. It was like this little miracle staged for the two of us.

Danny Murtaugh's son Tim played minor league ball for a while. He managed in Salem for a season in the early 70s. Danny had retired (briefly) then. He was at the game with his toddler grandson. I wasn't one to just walk up to a celebrity then. Talked my younger brother into asking for an autograph.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Talking to some weirdo in a boa coat in the stands during the action. That is the worst of Tigers TV broadcasts, right there.

That Max guy was actually more entertaining than Craig and Johnny Kane. His theory on a bad start was comical. Mostly because he thinks the Mets will actually come back and contend. 

• Haha 1