4/5/24 1:10PM EDT Oakland Athletics @ Detroit Tigers

Exciting to win, and have to take advantage of the lame teams when you play them, but still hard to gauge how good this team really is. So far, on the season, the ChiSox, Mets and A’s are a combined 3-17.  Obviously, we’ve contributed to those W-L records, but these are teams that are not playing well.

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

Whoop whoop! Watching the game at Sid’s Garage on my son’s 22nd bday!

IMG_2966.thumb.jpeg.be6a06a8136b5aeb0ddeadb8dc9cb8c7.jpeg

I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and French fried potato…..

Sorry, that’s just a natural reaction I have.  But that burger looks good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

A homer for the West Sacramento Athletics. 

season.over.com

Yeah, what’s with “West” Sacramento?  And will they be called the Sacramento A’s or the Chico’s Bail Bonds A’s?

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

It is the Nashville Hot Chicken sandwich and I’d already taken a bite out of it. The bun is branded on top. Fries come in a small pail. And when I asked them to switch the game from the Yankees to the Tigers, they were more than happy to comply.

That looked like a burger to me.  I gotta get new glasses.

1 minute ago, casimir said:

Yeah, what’s with “West” Sacramento?  And will they be called the Sacramento A’s or the Chico’s Bail Bonds A’s?

I read they're going to drop the place name altogether. Will just be referred to as "The Athletics" or "The A's" in the standings, instead of a city or state. 

29 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Exciting to win, and have to take advantage of the lame teams when you play them, but still hard to gauge how good this team really is. So far, on the season, the ChiSox, Mets and A’s are a combined 3-17.  Obviously, we’ve contributed to those W-L records, but these are teams that are not playing well.

I think another aspect is that Hinch is pushing a lot of bench buttons but maybe also hoping that a current platoon or two might eventually turn into more of a starting situation that someone takes the opportunity and runs with.  So maybe a bit of an extended spring training so to speak?  But the games count now, so, yeah, taking advantage of those winnable games while trying to see if some questions get answers is definitely a positive.

4 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I read they're going to drop the place name altogether. Will just be referred to as "The Athletics" or "The A's" in the standings, instead of a city or state. 

Kind of a cousin of Washington “Football Team”, but obviously for different reasoning.

I remember when the New Orleans Hornets played a couple of seasons in Oklahoma City after Katrina they were called Oklahoma City or a combined New Orleans / Oklahoma City.  Along with the basketball motif, the owner of the Sacramento River Cats, who will share their stadium with the A’s, also owns the Sacramento Kings who have bounced around quite a bit in their history including individual seasons that were spent being shared by Omaha and Kansas City.  This is probably a run through for Sacramento to see if they might have the chops for MLB, at least from the owner’s standpoint.

I think I have dedicated way too much gray matter to trivial sports trivia.  I should read a book.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

This is off-topic, but no matter what I’m going to ask, what was with the Tigers playing that John Denver country boy song during the 84 season? I lived in Arizona then in the pre-Internet era, radio didn’t reach me there, and only saw the tigers on a rare national broadcast, but I understand there was some sort of “controversy“ about the playing of this song during the 1984 season. Any help from those not living in the diaspora at that time would be helpful. I tried to watch a YouTube video about it, but they took so long getting to the point I gave up. 

I once read that Denver and his family after he passed only wanted the Orioles to play it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But Monroe offsets it and makes it unlistenable.   Can we have a Monroe only Mute button, please? 

Other teams don't have announcers who giggle non-stop. I was hoping that would be over once the Tigers hired a professional. But as long as they have ex-jocks with their limited vocabulary and intelligence in the booth, it's hopeless. At least Gibby acts serious, most of the time.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Beating the teams a good team is supposed to beat is the big story. If we play .500 ball against the AL East, we'll win the division.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Kind of a cousin of Washington “Football Team”, but obviously for different reasoning.

I remember when the New Orleans Hornets played a couple of seasons in Oklahoma City after Katrina they were called Oklahoma City or a combined New Orleans / Oklahoma City.  Along with the basketball motif, the owner of the Sacramento River Cats, who will share their stadium with the A’s, also owns the Sacramento Kings who have bounced around quite a bit in their history including individual seasons that were spent being shared by Omaha and Kansas City.  This is probably a run through for Sacramento to see if they might have the chops for MLB, at least from the owner’s standpoint.

I think I have dedicated way too much gray matter to trivial sports trivia.  I should read a book.

I read the stadium in Sacramento has to be updated to hold 14,000 fans. It will probably be the smallest crowds in MLB. Or maybe in all 4 major sports.

I guess they did away with the traditional automatic off day after opening day in case there’s a rain out because I was not expecting a game tomorrow, which is kind of stupid, though, with it being Saturday. 

41 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Other teams don't have announcers who giggle non-stop. I was hoping that would be over once the Tigers hired a professional. But as long as they have ex-jocks with their limited vocabulary and intelligence in the booth, it's hopeless. At least Gibby acts serious, most of the time.

I don't think Craig lacks intelligence at all.   I think he's just too forced.  You can be enthusiastic and relaxed.   Listen to Dan Dickerson for that.    What little I have heard of Alex Avila was pretty good.   Andy Dirks was solid on the radio.  Dan Petry's a bit dry but fine.  Jonesy is off-center but naturally funny and the best of all of them was  If Craig would just relax he would be tolerable (barely).  

24 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What the hell did I do?        Whatever you think I did, I didn't do.    Been home all day.  I didn't do nothin', man.    

“On Tuesday, May 22, 1980, a man named Henry Hill did what seemed to him the only sensible thing to do: he decided to cease to exist.” — opening line to Wise Guys