Jump to content

4/5/24 1:10PM EDT Oakland Athletics @ Detroit Tigers


Recommended Posts

This is off-topic, but no matter what I’m going to ask, what was with the Tigers playing that John Denver country boy song during the 84 season? I lived in Arizona then in the pre-Internet era, radio didn’t reach me there, and only saw the tigers on a rare national broadcast, but I understand there was some sort of “controversy“ about the playing of this song during the 1984 season. Any help from those not living in the diaspora at that time would be helpful. I tried to watch a YouTube video about it, but they took so long getting to the point I gave up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

This is off-topic, but no matter what I’m going to ask, what was with the Tigers playing that John Denver country boy song during the 84 season? I lived in Arizona then in the pre-Internet era, radio didn’t reach me there, and only saw the tigers on a rare national broadcast, but I understand there was some sort of “controversy“ about the playing of this song during the 1984 season. Any help from those not living in the diaspora at that time would be helpful. I tried to watch a YouTube video about it, but they took so long getting to the point I gave up. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

This is off-topic, but no matter what I’m going to ask, what was with the Tigers playing that John Denver country boy song during the 84 season? I lived in Arizona then in the pre-Internet era, radio didn’t reach me there, and only saw the tigers on a rare national broadcast, but I understand there was some sort of “controversy“ about the playing of this song during the 1984 season. Any help from those not living in the diaspora at that time would be helpful. I tried to watch a YouTube video about it, but they took so long getting to the point I gave up. 

There wasn't a controversy. If it's the YouTube video I'm thinking of, it was made by a younger fan who wasn't even born back then who saw an old press clipping and ran with it. The Orioles used to play Country Boy and since they had won the division in 1983 it sounds like a few people thought that the Tigers shouldn't play that song. If there was a controversy, it lasted a day. Much more attention was paid that summer to stuff like the Bless You Boys song, the Wave and its various variations, and even Martha and the Vandellas' Dancing In The Streets. Europeans always refer to the wave as the Mexican Wave because it was popular at soccer games in Mexico going back to the '70s, and some American college football crowds tried it in the early 80s. But it was really the Tigers' 1984 start that put the Wave on the map - for good or for bad - in the States.

Edited by lordstanley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

But it was really the Tigers' 1984 start that put the Wave on the map - for good or for bad - in the States.

the wave was going strong at UM (and other college) stadium at football games well before 1984, and lots of those games were on national TV so I don't know how many people didn't know about it before it hit Tigers Stadium in the 80's. But it was a college football thing. The jump to baseball wasn't necessarily natural because not all baseball stadia are particularly good for the wave, and they often are not full enough. While Tiger Stadium did have the two decks all the way around, you still need to get the place filled up, and that didn't happen much until the team got good.

Edited by gehringer_2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

the wave was going strong at UM (and other college) stadium at football games well before 1984, and lots of those games were on national TV so I don't know how many people didn't know about it before it hit Tigers Stadium in the 80's. But it was a college football thing. The jump to baseball wasn't necessarily natural because not all baseball stadia are particularly good for the wave, and they often are not full enough. While Tiger Stadium did have the two decks all the way around, you still need to get the place filled up, and that didn't happen much until the team got good.

It was the 1984 Tigers that put the Wave on the national map—and I agree, for good or bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am—fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your point of view—headed to the Dodgers-Cubs game this afternoon. It will be the first game Ohtani has played on the road since the allegations, so that's going to be interesting. Although I wish I could see how Benetti and Gibson get along, so I will be checking in on this thread to get a sense of that, I hope.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Craig is way too pumped. He's like that guy three rows behind you who never shuts up during the game. 
 

They need to give him some tranquilizers before the game.

or smoke a joint

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      254
    • Most Online
      186

    Newest Member
    M Ruge
    Joined
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...