4/6/24 1:10PM EDT A's @ Tigers

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Benetti seems to be making big effort to work with everyone. Monroe's problem is just that he often doesn't marshal the verbal dexterity to be concise, so his entries run into Benetti's PBP. To the extent he learned any craft, it was before the pitch clock, and I imagine he's not the only color guy around the league who has had trouble adjusting to having so much less time. With Monroe, as someone up thread noted, what bothers me most is the constant growl in his voice. Maybe as he's gotten older that's just his natural voice now, but he need sto work on softening it if he can. That and that he repeats himself too much.

And the stuff that he repeats too much is basically the same kind of word salad ex-players engage in all the time. It's one thing and even understandable when you're a player being interviewed. It's another when you're supposed to be making the leap to broadcast professional, and ex-player or not, you should be and are held to a higher standard.

Just now, mtutiger said:

"Any sort of indication" =/= "Jason Benetti has to say it"

What sorts of indication will you waiting for? Specific hypothetical example of something you haven't seen yet that you would consider indicative would suffice.

52 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Benetti seems to be making big effort to work with everyone. Monroe's problem is just that he often doesn't marshal the verbal dexterity to be concise, so his entries run into Benetti's PBP. To the extent he learned any craft, it was before the pitch clock, and I imagine he's not the only color guy around the league who has had trouble adjusting to having so much less time. With Monroe, as someone up thread noted, what bothers me most is the constant growl in his voice. Maybe as he's gotten older that's just his natural voice now, but he need sto work on softening it if he can. That and that he repeats himself too much.

Monroe has issues with any of his partners in speaking over them. It's his biggest weakness... as bad as people think he's been with Benetti, it was most evident in a game he did with Greg Gania in the spring against the Yankees.

That said, the booth, even when he's in it, has been better than last year. And if things were as bad between him and Benetti as people are speculating, there's a good chance Monroe wouldn't even be in the booth right now.

I'm sorry if people don't like it, that's just how I see it. If it were up to me, they'd just hire Carlos Pena full time, but that's not in the cards and I dont see a lot changing going forward 

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What sorts of indication will you waiting for? Specific hypothetical example of something you haven't seen yet that you would consider indicative would suffice.

I dont know, actual annoyance with Monroe attitudinaly while calling games? Actual reporting about friction between them? Something? Anything?

Cody Stavenhagen, who everyone seems to respect, has said in the past that he thinks Monroe is here for the long haul. That's kinda my baseline. There needs to be more than baseless speculation to move me off of that.

Edited by mtutiger

Just now, mtutiger said:

Monroe has issues with any of his partners in speaking over them. It's his biggest weakness... as bad as people think he's been with Benetti, it was most evident in a game he did with Greg Gania in the spring against the Yankees.

That said, the booth, even when he's in it, has been better than last year. And if things were as bad between him and Benetti as people are speculating, there's a good chance Monroe wouldn't even be in the booth right now.

I'm sorry if people don't like it, that's just how I see it. If it were up to me, they'd just hire Carlos Pena full time, but that's not in the cards and I dont see a lot changing going forward 

I didn't say things were bad between them, per se. I said, "You can tell Gibby likes working with Benetti, and Benetti appreciates Gibby’s reactions to his bon mots better than Craig Monroe's reactions", which escalated into, "Chas thinks Benetti hates C-Mo, for which Chas has zero evidence, but I think C-Mo is just fine."

Which is on me. I admit to taking that bait. 😁

But I do maintain my belief that Benetti likes the verbal interplay he has with Gibson better than with Craig Monroe. And I also think the Tigers can see everything we see—that Monroe is simply not good as a professional broadcast analyst, despite the high level of talent around him that might elevate his analyst game even a little—and that they might have to actively make a decision about him, even if it's to keep him to avoid blowback for letting him go. We may never know that has ever happened, but I'll bet they're talking about it, a speculation for which I have zero evidence as well. 😄

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I dont know, actual annoyance with Monroe attitudinaly while calling games? Actual reporting about friction between them? Something? Anything?

Cody Stavenhagen, who everyone seems to respect, has said in the past that he thinks Monroe is here for the long haul. That's kinda my baseline. There needs to be more than baseless speculation to move me off of that.

Well again, I don't think even Benetti would snap at Monroe if he's annoyed by him, which, I don't know, I guess could happen. But we're in the second week of the season so far, so unless someone is setting the booth on fire, I wouldn't think we'd hear anything by now anyway.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

a speculation for which I have zero evidence as well. 😄

BTW, I said this to amuse myself, but I don't regard myself of having zero evidence that Benetti and Monroe might not be clicking. I posted my impressions in the game thread of the first spring training broadcast they did, where I said it seemed pretty obvious Monroe was big-timing Benetti during that broadcast, and Benetti seemed uncomfortable with that, so it looked like a rocky start, and you know what they say about first impressions. But I also accept that anyone who didn't see that broadcast, or did and didn't sense that happening, probably doesn't believe that constitutes any evidence, too. After all, it was just me saying what I saw at the time.

Maybe it's all fixed now. Or it's on its way to being fixed now. We'll see. It's a looooong season still to come.

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I didn't say things were bad between them, per se. I said, "You can tell Gibby likes working with Benetti, and Benetti appreciates Gibby’s reactions to his bon mots better than Craig Monroe's reactions", which escalated into, "Chas thinks Benetti hates C-Mo, for which Chas has zero evidence, but I think C-Mo is just fine."

Your second paragraph implies that the Tigers "don't know it yet, but are gonna need to make a decision on Monroe".

My point is that, based on what I've seen so far, there really isn't one.

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Your second paragraph implies that the Tigers "don't know it yet, but are gonna need to make a decision on Monroe".

My point is that, based on what I've seen so far, there really isn't one.

Yeah, I addressed the make-a-decision thing in the part you cut.

There's no right answer here at this moment. Just a couple of Internet randos sharing their opinions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yeah, I addressed the make-a-decision thing in the part you cut.

There's no right answer here at this moment. Just a couple of Internet randos sharing their opinions.

I dont think there is a decision that will need to be made on Craig Monroe. Because there is no evidence that his employer is upset with him, or the employers high priced PBP guy doesn't like working with him, nor has there been any reporting from respected reporters around the team that his position is in trouble.

Until that changes, my prior that he will be calling games for the Tigers on Bally (or whoever), and that it will not involve any drama, isn't going to change

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

But what does Kieran have to say about it?

IMG_0941.webp

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I dont think there is a decision that will need to be made on Craig Monroe. Because there is no evidence that his employer is upset with him, or the employers high priced PBP guy doesn't like working with him, nor has there been any reporting from respected reporters around the team that his position is in trouble.

Until that changes, my prior that he will be calling games for the Tigers on Bally (or whoever), and that it will not involve any drama, isn't going to change

Objectively, his role has expanded. I suppose one could posit that the Tigers are trying inoculate themselves from potential criticism if they let him go by giving him every better chance to succeed first, but 'enigma wrapped in a riddle' kind of management by misdirection strikes me as being out of character for this org. OTOH, business is business, if the ratings for Monroe broadcasts start to show a differential, he's going to be out so I have to guess that hasn't happened yet.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Objectively, his role has expanded. I suppose one could posit that the Tigers are trying inoculate themselves from potential criticism if they let him go by giving him every better chance to succeed first, but 'enigma wrapped in a riddle' kind of management by misdirection strikes me as being out of character for this org. OTOH, business is business, if the ratings for Monroe broadcasts start to show a differential, he's going to be out so I have to guess that hasn't happened yet.

my guess is they thought Shep was the problem first and Cmo is probably next

5 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Wow.   Mr. Batting Practice.  

Hey buddy, you got a guy who was working on a no-no Thursday who wants a spot on this team.  Might want to hunker down and stop giving up NO-DOUBTER home runs.     

This is brutal. 

I think the ALL CAPS that you used got his attention.  Nice work.

Now can you do something about he offense?

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

The hitters seemed anxious and a little burned out. Road trip..waiting out rain for two days..doublehader..opening day...RedWing game and another early start and the energy just seemed a bit lacking. It happens. Win tomorrow. 

Yup.  Take two of three and move on to Pittsburgh.

2 minutes ago, casimir said:

Sure.  First one to 660 runs scored wins the division?

(Go ahead, look at what both scored last season).

Unironically, maybe yes?

The Tigers would be screwed if they were in any other division, but relative to this one, they are in contention. Nothing about today changes that 

Just now, mtutiger said:

Unironically, maybe yes?

The Tigers would be screwed if they were in any other division, but relative to this one, they are in contention. Nothing about today changes that 

Yup.  Get the invite to the playoffs and then hope for series wins once in there.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

With Monroe, I think there's a possibility than what our MTS universe thinks and what the average person dialing up Bally to watch the Tigers on a nightly basis thinks are two different things.

I can't remember when Stavenhagen wrote his piece about Monroe, but that was one takeaway from it for me

Edited by mtutiger