4/6/24 1:10PM EDT A's @ Tigers

12 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'll wait for Benetti to give any sort of indication before making that leap.

Until that happens, it's people who are predisposed to disliking Monroe projecting their feelings on Jason Benetti

Yes, because if Benetti were to have any problem with Craig Monroe, he will tell us, out loud and in so many words, because that’s the only standard by which we can speculate. And, of course, if he says nothing, then there is no way on god’s green earth that there could be any issues between them, because otherwise, Benetti would be saying so in so many words. 

😉

Just now, chasfh said:

Yes, because if Benetti were to have any problem with Craig Monroe, he will tell us, out loud and in so many words, because that’s the only standard by which we can speculate.

Umm, no. But I would expect there to be some evidence that chemistry doesn't exit between the two of them or some subtle indications that there is friction before beginning to actually speculate these things. To-date, I haven't seen basically zero evidence that this is the case.

So yes, one can continue to dislike Monroe's color commentary without losing objectivity in the process. 

• Like 1

Look, they aren't going to win every game and even a team like the A's will at least 1/3rd of their games. Blackburn is also a better pitcher than I think he's given credit for.

But the quality of the ABs was pretty frustrating today. Cannot do that against better competition

Edited by mtutiger

The hitters seemed anxious and a little burned out. Road trip..waiting out rain for two days..doublehader..opening day...RedWing game and another early start and the energy just seemed a bit lacking. It happens. Win tomorrow. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

First shutout.

First official one but we were shutout for 9 innings in NY but fortunately our pitching staff saved us so we were able to get runs in the 10th, if not for that we'd be looking at 2 shutouts in 8 games along with multiple 1 run efforts. Needless to say the offense has got to be better. 

IMG_0551.thumb.jpeg.cb3576beba61196e4993e3cdbc959ec5.jpeg

It snowed a couple inches here today in Boise Idaho and there’s been 24 inches of snow the last two days up at the ski lodge outside of town. So now that I’m not particularly incautious about being optimistic I flew the colors today on my walk.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Umm, no. But I would expect there to be some evidence that chemistry doesn't exit between the two of them or some subtle indications that there is friction before beginning to actually speculate these things. To-date, I haven't seen basically zero evidence that this is the case.

So yes, one can continue to dislike Monroe's color commentary without losing objectivity in the process. 

As with anything else, if you don't see the evidence, it's not there, and if you do see the evidence, it is there.

I just found it funny that your implied standard is that Jason Benetti has to say it in so many words or else there's no evidence. There's obviously no way even he would ever do that. I also found it funny you changed your line of discussion away from the subject at hand and toward the people discussing the subject at hand which, if I didn't know you at all, would come off as a bid to shut the discussion down. But you're an active and respected participant here, and you understand this is an active discussion board about literally all thing Tigers, so I know that was not your intention.

That's the remaining reason I'm still on the subject at all. I can drop it here.

11 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

IMG_0551.thumb.jpeg.cb3576beba61196e4993e3cdbc959ec5.jpeg

It snowed a couple inches here today in Boise Idaho and there’s been 24 inches of snow the last two days up at the ski lodge outside of town. So now that I’m not particularly incautious about being optimistic I flew the colors today on my walk.  

I'm telling you, Bert, if you're not trading on your looks for a career as an old man fashion model, you're missing an opportunity.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'll wait for Benetti to give any sort of indication before making that leap.

Until that happens, it's people who are predisposed to disliking Monroe projecting their feelings on Jason Benetti

Benetti seems to be making big effort to work with everyone. Monroe's problem is just that he often doesn't marshal the verbal dexterity to be concise, so his entries run into Benetti's PBP. To the extent he learned any craft, it was before the pitch clock, and I imagine he's not the only color guy around the league who has had trouble adjusting to having so much less time. With Monroe, as someone up thread noted, what bothers me most is the constant growl in his voice. Maybe as he's gotten older that's just his natural voice now, but he need sto work on softening it if he can. That and that he repeats himself too much.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Benetti seems to be making big effort to work with everyone. Monroe's problem is just that he often doesn't marshal the verbal dexterity to be concise, so his entries run into Benetti's PBP. To the extent he learned any craft, it was before the pitch clock, and I imagine he's not the only color guy around the league who has had trouble adjusting to having so much less time. With Monroe, as someone up thread noted, what bothers me most is the constant growl in his voice. Maybe as he's gotten older that's just his natural voice now, but he need sto work on softening it if he can. That and that he repeats himself too much.

Yes, he repeats himself too much. And he slurps mid-sentence. And he keeps repeating himself. 

13 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm telling you, Bert, if you're not trading on your looks for a career as an old man fashion model, you're missing an opportunity.

Like Zoolander, I just try to remember to suck in my cheeks. 

56 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I just found it funny that your implied standard is that Jason Benetti has to say it in so many words or else there's no evidence.

I never implied that... 

Edited by mtutiger