4/7/24 1:40PM EDT A's @ Tigers

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Torkelson has been a total disappointment far, not so much even the results but that he is doing exactly the opposite of what he needed to do this season, which was become a better hitter - higher OBP, a tougher out with men on base. Instead he has gone completely the other way, swinging out of his shoes, pulling everything, making a ton of outs. The sell out for the long ball may get him 30HR in the end but he'll just turn himself into Rob Deer with a buzz cut.

This only reinforces my concerns. I know it's early and that I  am not a keen evaluator but he does not inspire any confidence when he comes to bat. I have never really liked him for no reason I can articulate other than not meeting expectations for a 1-1 and his poor defense. I also find it somewhat irritating that he presents himself as the face of the franchise and is always the most quoted player in the paper, on TV and during promotions like addressing the crowd on opening day and at the Wings game. It's like he is just so happy to on the team he is unaware of the role he needs to play for us to succeed. I am hoping and rooting hard but my money is on a new first baseman once his arb salaries start to rise. First baseman are just too easy to obtain and rarely are drafted so high for the same reason. Hope I am wrong.

5 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

This only reinforces my concerns. I know it's early and that I  am not a keen evaluator but he does not inspire any confidence when he comes to bat. I have never really liked him for no reason I can articulate other than not meeting expectations for a 1-1 and his poor defense. I also find it somewhat irritating that he presents himself as the face of the franchise and is always the most quoted player in the paper, on TV and during promotions like addressing the crowd on opening day and at the Wings game. It's like he is just so happy to on the team he is unaware of the role he needs to play for us to succeed. I am hoping and rooting hard but my money is on a new first baseman once his arb salaries start to rise. First baseman are just too easy to obtain and rarely are drafted so high for the same reason. Hope I am wrong.

What bugs me is he never panned out as a 3B.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If this one holds, the Tigers record vs. the A's since 2015 is   14-42.     A .250 winning Pct.     I think the only time they had a winning record in one season was 2016 at 4-3.    What the hell is it.   Are they afraid of teams with green uniforms or something. 

The baseball gods brushed us back after we got a little too chesty over the plate with the 6-1 start to the season.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I know what you mean he act like hes already star

35 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If this one holds, the Tigers record vs. the A's since 2015 is   14-42.     A .250 winning Pct.     I think the only time they had a winning record in one season was 2016 at 4-3.    What the hell is it.   Are they afraid of teams with green uniforms or something. 

the Angels always beat us up too I think its just a west coast night game thing

22 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

I really couldn't care less about how the team markets him, or whether he makes himself more available than other players for media interviews, I am rooting for him to succeed.

He's been terrible thus far, but he's not the only one... and with the way that the fan base seems to just tee off on him in particular, his role almost acts like a heat shield for everyone else (except for Javy) who aren't performing to the level.

• Like 2

last few years...two horrible games turns in to an 8 game losing streak. Let's see if they've improved enought to stem the tide..split against the Pirates and come back home.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kdog said:

last few years...two horrible games turns in to an 8 game losing streak. Let's see if they've improved enought to stem the tide..split against the Pirates and come back home.

If it's anything like the last few years, the team averages barely 2 runs per game...so when they'd have a 5-7 run game, they'd score 0-2 runs per game the next 3-5 games.  So by my math, after all the runs they scored in their first 6-7 games, only scoring one run in the last two games actually checks out...look for low scoring games the next couple as well, it's the modern day Tigers ass offensive law of averages, it's Tigers baseball science.

Edited by Dtrain72