20234-24 14-68. Now what? (The 2024 Offseason thread)

39 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

That also takes a little of the shine off the pick if they plan to trade it.

That's my biggest issue with the drop. I didn't think they were trading it anyway but this makes a trade far more unlikely. I hope they take more of a high floor prospect than can contribute sooner, like a choose your white shooter guy Sheppard or Knecht I guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NYLion said:

That's my biggest issue with the drop. I didn't think they were trading it anyway but this makes a trade far more unlikely. I hope they take more of a high floor prospect than can contribute sooner, like a choose your white shooter guy Sheppard or Knecht I guess.

That wouldn't be the worst thing.

I think I'm all in on KAT assuming Minnesota is looking to dump salary.  They have to start winning.

19 minutes ago, casimir said:

So, ok, here’s the rainbow around this pile of lottery crap.  The Pistons won’t improve enough to stay out of the lottery next year, and welcome to Detroit Cooper Flagg.

Yeah cause lottery luck has been so great...

OK.  Sam Vecenie just updated his mock and he now has Detroit taking Matas Buzelis as well.  What he says about him:

Buzelis has benefited from multiple factors all occurring at once in this class.

First, his size, off-ball capabilities and athleticism with the ball in transition make him a high-upside swing in a draft class lacking in them. Second, bigger wings with somewhat similar profiles, such as Charlotte’s Brandon Miller, Memphis’ G.G. Jackson, Washington’s Bilal Coulibaly and Houston’s Cam Whitmore, put together promising rookie seasons while displaying skills they didn’t consistently showcase in their pre-draft seasons.

Still, Buzelis did not have an ideal pre-draft campaign playing on a catastrophically bad G League Ignite team that struggled to compete in games. He averaged 14.1 points per game but only shot 45.5 percent from the field and 26.1 percent from 3, though he upped those numbers to 17.1 points, 7.6 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.5 blocks over his last 13 games. He also won some plaudits from scouts for his play in the Rising Stars event at All-Star Weekend, where he helped the G League team upset a roster of NBA rookies and sophomores that included Victor Wembanyama.

There are certainly questions about Buzelis even after his in-season improvement, and shooting is the one that comes up most. Buzelis shot the ball well the season before at Sunrise Christian Academy in Kansas but hasn’t been consistent during his youth career. While Buzelis was able to fit into an offensive role with G League Ignite instead of pressing the issue, scouts wish they’d have learned more about his ability to create on his own. Additionally, while Buzelis’ off-ball defense has largely won over scouts, he struggled on the ball this past season in large part due to a lack of strength.

The Pistons desperately need a four in their core, and Buzelis profiles well as a good fit next to Cade Cunningham as long as the team believes in his jumper.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I assume this is the max each team can achieve.  

This does not matter.   Who is coming here?   NBA stars want to be multi-media stars, they want to go where the glamour is.   Every once in a while a podunk team like Indiana or Minnesota gets really good --- because they draft right.   These stars want to play in LA, San Fran, Miami, NYC, Dallas, Atlanta,  not Detroit.  I don't care how much Detroit has turned it's image around, these "entities" aren't coming here.    Pistons aren't signing any superstars.    Troy Weaver with cap space is like a kid with a room full of toys that nobody's allowed to play with.   He just shows off his cap space and draft assets.   Who cares.   The fact that he's even in the building shows you how checked out this owner is.   He probably made a bundle off the land where The Palace used to sit and that's all he cares about.    It just doesn't matter anymore.  You have GM who is untouchable.    Even Yzerman isn't this untouchable and he's on the Red Wings Mount Rushmore.  WTF is it with this guy?    This franchise is dead.  It's over.   As long as Gores owns it, it will never be relevant again.   And he has no plans on selling.     I feel bad for Cade.  Hell of a player,  seems like a good guy too.   I hope he flees the first chance he gets.   It's criminal what this owner and his cronies have done to this team.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Sam Vecenie has Clingan #5 on his big board.  Givony has Matas Buzelis going to the Pistons in his post lottery mock.  Sam has him #6.

Before you rush to look up Matas Buzelis stats.  He shot 27% from three last year.  

kilian hayes 2.0.  not sure why sam likes him.

Pistons have moved down in the lottery 9 times. They moved up once, by one spot, to get Cade. We also fell from 1 to 5 twice in a row and no team has ever done that.

Spurs have moved up 5 times. They've never moved down.

Funny how for years the Pistons refused to bottom out so instead were always relegated to the mid to late lottery pick. Then the NBA changes the lottery rules making it harder for the bottom teams to win and the Pistons then decide to finally go all in on the tanking so in turn they still end up with mid lottery picks despite bottoming out. 

Posted (edited)

Hard to say who we would've picked if did get number 1 in previous years(aside from Wemby of course) but the team sure would look better if we had 1 or 2  of Anthony Edwards, Chet/Paulo and Wemby instead of Killian, Ivey and Ausar. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Hard to say who we would've picked if did get number 1 in previous years(aside from Wemby of course) but the team sure would look better if we had 1 or 2  of Anthony Edwards, Chet/Paulo and Wemby instead of Killian, Ivey and Ausar. 

We'd be better with Brandon Miller...

The lottery is what it is.  This franchise isn't an abhorrent mess because of ping pong balls or frozen envelopes or tin foil hats.  This franchise is a complete dumpster fire because its front office is only two qualified clowns short of a circus.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

OK.  Sam Vecenie just updated his mock and he now has Detroit taking Matas Buzelis as well.  What he says about him:

26.1% from 3?  Pass.

Get some outside shooting to help out Cunningham.  Would Dillingham or Sheppard be better fits?  

59 minutes ago, casimir said:

The lottery is what it is.  This franchise isn't an abhorrent mess because of ping pong balls or frozen envelopes or tin foil hats.  This franchise is a complete dumpster fire because its front office is only two qualified clowns short of a circus.

with good ping ping balls it doesnt matter how bad your management is.  this is the nba.  talent wins.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, casimir said:

26.1% from 3?  Pass.

Get some outside shooting to help out Cunningham.  Would Dillingham or Sheppard be better fits?  

No clue, not watching any draft stuff this year.  But feel free to draft Jimmer Fredette if you want.

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

No clue, not watching any draft stuff this year.  But feel free to draft Jimmer Fredette if you want.

Ha, I just looked at the tweet above which has Dillingham and Sheppard going 3 and 4.  I was looking at another mock that had them something like 6 and 8 which is where I thought about those two.  I suppose there’s going to be pretty good variance on who goes where this draft.  I know the Pistons need a lot, but it seems like outside shooting would unravel a lot of knots in the offense.  Maybe it’s not good to focus on a singular attribute like that, but it ain’t like this draft is chock full of highly diversely skilled players.

Missing out on Sarr sucks, but after #1 it's all kind of the same. We're essentially paying #5 pick money for a #2 pick. Same tier of player and mocks have all of these players going at various spots. There is no consensus.

You also have to look at who's in front of us. We could very well be looking at both Risacher and Matas both being available. 2 guys that you could argue we'd have been looking at if we were at #2-#4 as well.

I'm also going to give some serious consideration to Shepperd if he's there. Those shooting and defensive numbers are no joke. The guy's a 55/52/83 shooter with 3.5 stocks per game, which is absolutely nuts. He's also a good secondary playmaker. Yea, he's short and that's going to cause some matchup problem, but I'll take TJ McConnell with JJ Reddick's shooting any day.