4/21/24 2:10PM Tigers @ Twins

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

But what the ER? Does the team win or lose? Some stats are pretty meaningless, sorry sabers...lol

That challenge was worth 1.3 runs if successful. When will it be worth more? 

17 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Batting 2nd? Or overall? And past performance is in no way a predictor of future results. I would bat Keith 2nd, maybe the kid will take off and we would have a 2 hole hitter for several years.

Its a rate stat, not a counting stat, so whether second or overall is irrelevant.

And replacing our third best hitter with one of our worst at the top of the lineup is honestly one of the worst suggestions I've seen on this board.

46 minutes ago, Toddwert said:

there was a Baseball prospectus article about DH rest day arent that helpful that playing the field most of the time isnt really that more taxing, you would be better off with a full time DH and giving players actual days off .... Its a pay article I heard other people talk about it

That works if you have a plus-hitter you can play at DH on the regular. If you don't have that and you wanna keep decent hitters in the game while giving them time off the field, rotating through the DH spot works well for that.

12 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Its a rate stat, not a counting stat, so whether second or overall is irrelevant.

And replacing our third best hitter with one of our worst at the top of the lineup is honestly one of the worst suggestions I've seen on this board.

We don't know how Keith would perform hitting 2nd. Position in the lineup makes a huge difference. But whatever, the Tigers front office just wants to field a team, outcomes make no difference. We're not expecting to win.

I hate watching the game on MLB.tv where I have to reach for the volume knob basically every break because they play the same four spots over. And over. And over. And over. etc.

I prefer watching the game on Extra Innings where I have at least a chance to see some semi-charming local Detroit spots.

Surprisingly (at least it surprised me) the difference between a mediocre and optimal line up is probably only 10 runs or 1 win per year. No real reason not to have high OBP hitters batting more often, but you can bat your Don Kelly types second every once in a while. Sometimes they'll homer in game 5 versus the Yankees. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HighOPS said:

Surprisingly (at least it surprised me) the difference between a mediocre and optimal line up is probably only 10 runs or 1 win per year. No real reason not to have high OBP hitters batting more often, but you can bat your Don Kelly types second every once in a while. Sometimes they'll homer in game 5 versus the Yankees. 

I assume you mean where you bat the same nine guys? That's research they did a decade or two ago and that did come to the conclusion that stressing over batting order is overblown because the difference in run production is small as you say.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

We don't know how Keith would perform hitting 2nd. Position in the lineup makes a huge difference. But whatever, the Tigers front office just wants to field a team, outcomes make no difference. We're not expecting to win.

It absolutely does not make a huge difference lol.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I assume you mean where you bat the same nine guys? That's research they did a decade or two ago and that did come to the conclusion that stressing over batting order is overblown because the difference in run production is small as you say.

of course the worse your bad hitters are, the more the differential by denying them ABs grows!

21 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

It absolutely does not make a huge difference lol.

I meant for the hitter. Some players are more comfortable hitting is different spots. You have no way of knowing how Keith would do hitting 2nd, he's never done it at the ML level. But whatever, like I said, it really doesn't matter. With the roster Harris has built, we'll be battling to play .500 all season. 

41 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

of course the worse your bad hitters are, the more the differential by denying them ABs grows!

That's probably why all the best lineups in these analyses always says best your best hitter leadoff, your second-best second, third-best third, etc. FWIW, cricket works exactly like that.