4/21/24 2:10PM Tigers @ Twins

This should be Tork's new role.  Brutal week in the field.  

11-10 is so much better than the last few years

8-13 2023

7-14 2022

7-14 2021

9-12 2020

But don't you feel like in the last week they booted away 3 games,   Team, even if you get conservative on the booting thing should be 13-8 right now.   It's so frustrating.  

By the way, the last time they started out 11-10 they wound up losing 114 games that season (2019),  so there's that. 

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Like 1

Defense is just ignored in baseball and especially in Detroit over the past decade or so, everybody gives it lip service but they don't really commit to it. It's not just the errors on paper but the missed plays, missed cuts-offs , mental mistakes etc.  I mean what good is a 2 run homer when you give up unearned runs ? Errors will happen but when managers put players in positions they can not play well it's the definition of insanity. 

The old adage "if he can hit we will find a place for him",,,well so will the batted ball.

4 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Hope whoever replaces him at 1B can scoop as many bad throws as he is capable of.

Didn't he just miss a scoop two games ago ? And can't all first baseman scoop throws. It seems like a basic skill to play the position. I don't think this is a measure of a good first baseman. I can't think of any regular first sacker who played for Detroit or any team that can't scoop throws. 

46 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

Didn't he just miss a scoop two games ago ? And can't all first baseman scoop throws. It seems like a basic skill to play the position. I don't think this is a measure of a good first baseman. I can't think of any regular first sacker who played for Detroit or any team that can't scoop throws. 

It's all in the mitt. A 1st baseman mitt is designed to scoop throws. Most 1st basemen have to scoop throws from the infield. Is Tork better than most? I would say no.

2 hours ago, Toddwert said:

oh no Greene is batting leadoff again

Greene leading off doesn't bother me, it's Canha hitting 2nd. The guy just isn't a 2 hole hitter, too pull happy, rolling over grounders to the left side. A double play waiting to happen.

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

It's all in the mitt. A 1st baseman mitt is designed to scoop throws. Most 1st basemen have to scoop throws from the infield. Is Tork better than most? I would say no.

It’s easier to scoop on MLB field where there are almost no bad bounces and the ball is predictable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This should be Tork's new role.  Brutal week in the field.  

It’s not as though Tork is tearing it up at the plate, either. Would we really want him to be full-time DH? Do we want anyone to be full-time DH?

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, 1776 said:

The burning question, can the Tigers finish April with a winning record? I think this was one of the bold predictions made prior to opening day.

Rays, Royals and Cardinals coming up. It's going to be tough. Tigers need to cut out the mental errors and hit the ball.

19 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It’s not as though Tork is tearing it up at the plate, either. Would we really want him to be full-time DH? Do we want anyone to be full-time DH?

Hinch is just giving Tork a partial day off. He'll be back at 1st base for the next 20 games. (Or longer). It's why we don't have a full time DH. To rotate guys getting a rest.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Hinch is just giving Tork a partial day off. He'll be back at 1st base for the next 20 games. (Or longer). It's why we don't have a full time DH. To rotate guys getting a rest.

Exactly. This was the Harris/Hinch stated strategy. They would have liked to have done it last year were it not for the 800-pound gorilla.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Exactly. This was the Harris/Hinch stated strategy. They would have liked to have done it last year were it not for the 800-pound gorilla.

there was a Baseball prospectus article about DH rest day arent that helpful that playing the field most of the time isnt really that more taxing, you would be better off with a full time DH and giving players actual days off .... Its a pay article I heard other people talk about it

Edited by Toddwert

6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Do you think Tork may actually be worse than Cabrera (in his last few years)? Both are a liability on defense, very slow on the bases and limited OBP. Miggy still seemed to get some clutch hits at crucial times. Tork appears lost at the plate in most of his at bats. Tork will get multiple chances to fail only because of his drafted position.

48 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Greene leading off doesn't bother me, it's Canha hitting 2nd. The guy just isn't a 2 hole hitter, too pull happy, rolling over grounders to the left side. A double play waiting to happen.

Fortunately there is actually a stat to measure that. And it turns out that you're wrong. He's basically average at avoiding GDP every single year, and +2.5 for his career overall.

2 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Fortunately there is actually a stat to measure that. And it turns out that you're wrong. He's basically average at avoiding GDP every single year, and +2.5 for his career overall.

Batting 2nd? Or overall? And past performance is in no way a predictor of future results. I would bat Keith 2nd, maybe the kid will take off and we would have a 2 hole hitter for several years.