4/21/24 2:10PM Tigers @ Twins

35 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Dan had Craig's stupidity under control. Jason feeds into the moronic issues. Base hit for the Tigers and the announcers are busy talking about phone chargers. Who the hell cares? Get these washed up jocks outta the booth.

I agree. I don't mind happy talk if it doesn't overwhelm the game action, at least in contestable games. Not everybody likes Dan's "I take baseball seriously like a job" approach, but I like it just fine, and it suits him great.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I'm as certain as I can be that Craig Monroe has zero idea who Goo Goo Dolls and Spin Doctors are.

Ironic since he just wants you to know who I am and he likes to talk for hours.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I mean cricket the game, not Cricket the It's Always Sunny character. 😉

ASIP reference as lost on me as GGD on Monroe. 👴

( I got to know a some Millennial music as a parent)

Edited by gehringer_2

This game is about as perfect as they come. They scored six runs, Mize was good, the guys who aren’t normally hitting were hitting, and the guy I never heard of before, Kennedy, hits a homer. It’s almost like being Tobey Maguire in the first Spider-Man movie and learning the Kirsten Dunst actually likes you and you’re not stupid and you don’t turn her down because “with great power comes great responsibility.” 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I meant for the hitter. Some players are more comfortable hitting is different spots. You have no way of knowing how Keith would do hitting 2nd, he's never done it at the ML level. But whatever, like I said, it really doesn't matter. With the roster Harris has built, we'll be battling to play .500 all season. 

He might go 1 for 5 with a single instead of 1 for 4 with a single.  

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm as certain as I can be that Craig Monroe has zero idea who Goo Goo Dolls and Spin Doctors are.

When I hear the Spin Doctors or see their name I think of Charlie on "It's Always Sunny", dressed up as Frank Serpico leaving a note at City Hall  "4 The Mare".    "OK Mr. Mare Feast your ears on THIS Spin Doctors mix,  HUUA"       

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

He might go 1 for 5 with a single instead of 1 for 4 with a single.  

You never know. He might start pulling the ball more and at least move a runner over. You don't need your best hitter hitting 2nd, you just need someone who can handle the bat. So far, I've seen Canha pull too many ground balls to the pull side at important, situational, times. Keith is worth trying, but so are a few other hitters. (Greene)

3 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Tork misses his first homer of the season by a few hit with a double off the wall. 5-0 Tigers. Mize gives it over to Holton after a 6-inning, 90 pitch, 0 runs outing. 

I think I'm fine with seeing the scorched line drive double rather than a wind addled high fly ball the gets over the fence if it is a sign of things to come.

5 hours ago, HighOPS said:

That challenge was worth 1.3 runs if successful. When will it be worth more? 

I'm not sure there was an angle that showed Canha was safe beyond a doubt.  I understand the run expectancy and it'd have been nice to not give up an out there.  But it also would have sucked losing a challenge that early in a game without knowing what the future might hold.  The top of the first is awfully early in a vacuum.  But given the offensive struggles at times, I can also understand the reward side of trying the review.

30 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

You never know. He might start pulling the ball more and at least move a runner over. You don't need your best hitter hitting 2nd, you just need someone who can handle the bat. So far, I've seen Canha pull too many ground balls to the pull side at important, situational, times. Keith is worth trying, but so are a few other hitters. (Greene)

Do you think that perhaps, just maybe, that this stretch of April pales in comparison to what he's done throughout his career?  If you want to make a case for Carpenter at 2, that's fine, he's probably the best hitter right now.  But the top 3 right now need to be Greene, Carpenter, Canha, in some order or another 1 through 3.  Greene is probably the best skilled hitter in the lineup, Carpenter is currently the best hitter in the lineup, and Canha has the best career hitting resume in the lineup as well as one of the better current hitters in the team.

Keith will be fine.  I'm not sure he's earned the right to hit higher in the lineup just yet.  I have no doubt he'll improve upon .185/.274/.197.  But right now I'll give more plate appearances to .250/.350/.422.

Edited by casimir