4/21/24 2:10PM Tigers @ Twins

54 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

You never know. He might start pulling the ball more and at least move a runner over. You don't need your best hitter hitting 2nd, you just need someone who can handle the bat. So far, I've seen Canha pull too many ground balls to the pull side at important, situational, times. Keith is worth trying, but so are a few other hitters. (Greene)

Keith has both a higher GB% and pull% than Canha. Canha is hitting more GB than he normally does so far, but for his career he hits less GB than the MLB average.

Keith also has a .444 OPS on the season.

Also, you absolutely want one of your 3 best hitters in the #2 spot.

Really what's happening is Canha had one bad AB where he GIDP in extra innings against the Mets and you're basing everything upon that one AB and burying your head in the sand and ignoring all the evidence that shows your take and opinions are blatantly incorrect. Literally all the things you say Canha lacks for the #2 spot are legitimate strengths of his game.

Edited by TigerNation

19 minutes ago, TigerNation said:

Keith has both a higher GB% and pull% than Canha. Canha is hitting more GB than he normally does so far, but for his career he hits less GB than the MLB average.

Keith also has a .444 OPS on the season.

Also, you absolutely want one of your 3 best hitters in the #2 spot.

Really what's happening is Canha had one bad AB where he GIDP in extra innings against the Mets and you're basing everything upon that one AB and burying your head in the sand and ignoring all the evidence that shows your take and opinions are blatantly incorrect. Literally all the things you say Canha lacks for the #2 spot are legitimate strengths of his game.

Yes, he has one of the better OBP on the team, lead him off and put Greene second. But his stats on this team are a very small sample size. As well as not coming thru in the clutch, not in one game but in a few. I just don't see the same thing as you, I see a dead pull hitter that constantly shows no situational skills. OK, in a small sample size. 

Our very best team would have Meadows leading off. If only the guy could hit...

If you have a RH batter with a reasonably high OBP  against RHP, you do want to put a LH batter behind him to optimize his chance of going 1st to 3rd on a another base hit. Most managers like alternating right and left hand hitters, so that sort of leaves you with a preference to go RH in the lead-off spot and then LH in the 2 hole - but if your LHH is you best OBP by a significant margin (often true), he's still your lead off hitter. The overall is probably too close to a toss-up to worry about it a lot.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Our very best team would have Meadows leading off. If only the guy could hit...

Meadows has to make an adjustment to the inside pitch. They are attacking him there and he's not coping - he's swinging and missing at balls inside and not doing much damage on strikes inside.

4 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Meadows has to make an adjustment to the inside pitch. They are attacking him there and he's not coping - he's swinging and missing at balls inside and not doing much damage on strikes inside.

I'm sure hitting coaches are working with him on that. At least, I hope so. He just needs to start producing. The guy could really make a difference, if he gets on base.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

You never know. He might start pulling the ball more and at least move a runner over. You don't need your best hitter hitting 2nd, you just need someone who can handle the bat. So far, I've seen Canha pull too many ground balls to the pull side at important, situational, times. Keith is worth trying, but so are a few other hitters. (Greene)

The second hitter is going to bat more frequently than other hitters lower in the line-up, so he should be one of the best hitters.  Being able to move runners over is a useful skill for all hitters, but it is secondary to being a productive hitter  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

what is this 1988?

• Haha 2