5/4/24 1:10PM Tigers @ Yankees

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

...  In the end, batting orders are not that important especially when you've got 4 or 5 .450 OPS guys playing regularly.

Which is the primary reason I want Greene AWAY from those hitters (batting 6-9th in our lineup) and having Canha & Perez in front of him.

Those 36 PA's over a season mean less to me than getting more guys on base for him.

My opinion.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Lmao...look at the results. He is quite horrible and the one and only reason he's on the team is because of his draft status. Potential? I just don't see it. He's good for 1 thing, hitting home runs. And he's still at....zero.

All of us have had some terrible assessments of players. It happens. You could be right, you could be wrong. Me I want to see how the season progresses, I’m not throwing in the towel in early May. I do think like gehringer 2 mentioned that Tork needs a reboot. He probably needs to be sent down for a couple weeks. If/when that happens of few on this board are going to light it up with negativity, and that’s a shame.  

Edited by AZTigersfan

31 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Wenceel did finish pretty strong last season - if he's actually making a breakthrough it would be completely out of the blue, but it's still not very likely he's a 900 OPS major leaguer!

PS: so... NOT out of the blue. I mean, the late-blooming power maybe yes, but he DID fill out after signing him as a 16 year old...   😉

But the OBP not so much... he had that from the start...

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Perez does not have any kind of track record, so I am not building an order around him.  I am fine with Canha leading off and Greene batting second.  Over the course of a season, Greene would lose about 36 PA by batting 3rd instead of first. 

It's fun to talk about batting orders, but Having Geene bat third instead of first is probably worth maybe 5 runs over the course of a season and I am not sure it would go in the direction you think.  In the end, batting orders are not that important especially when you've got 4 or 5 .450 OPS guys playing regularly.

It's also entirely possible that the combination of Riley batting 1st and Perez batting 3rd would yield more runs over the course of a season than Perez batting 1st and Riley batting 3rd.

1 minute ago, 1984Echoes said:

Which is the primary reason I want Greene AWAY from those hitters (batting 6-9th in our lineup) and having Canha & Perez in front of him.

Those 36 PA's over a season mean less to me than getting more guys on base for him.

My opinion.

Well if Perez is going to be an allstar, by all means, bat him second!  For now, I am happy with Greene batting second.  

And again, if their bottom 4 guys are going to suck all year, it's just not going to matter where anyone bats.  

2 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

And yet...

Hinch has him batting 3rd.

Why, again?

Maybe because he is their 4th or 5th best hitter.  That's who bats third in the modern line-up.

This passage is from page 132 of 'The Book' by Tom Tango. I could paraphrase it, but I believe The Book says it best: "Your three best hitters should bat somewhere in the #1, #2, and #4 slots. Your fourth- and fifth-best hitters should occupy the #3 and #5 slots.

And I am not dismissing Perez at all.  I am hopeful about him.  I just think you are getting overly excited about a hot streak.  

3 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Well if Perez is going to be an allstar, by all means, bat him second!  For now, I am happy with Greene batting second.  

And again, if their bottom 4 guys are going to suck all year, it's just not going to matter where anyone bats.  

I'm not going to declare or predict him an All-Star or anything like that...

All I'm going to say is he has a track record of getting on base.

And that's all I need from him, in front of Greene.

Just now, Tiger337 said:

Maybe because he is their 4th or 5th best hitter.  That's who bats third in the modern line-up.

And I am not dismissing Perez at all.  I am hopeful about him.  I just think you are getting overly excited about a hot streak.  

Not a hot streak. He's always been an OBP guy.

14 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Wenceel was a high hit tool high-OBP prospect when we signed him as a 16 year old.

I'm not even going to speak to his slugging percentage but he HAS filled out since then... so there's that. But... I'll just call whatever he offers with slugging % as bonus and just stick with OBP for the moment:

As a 17/18 year old in Dominican and Low-A ball: .387 and .363 OBP.

As a 19 & 21 yo (2020 = pandemic = no minors play recorded) at Low and High A: he struggled. .299 and .329 OBP.

As a 22 yo, in 2022, in High A and in AA a .369 OBP.

As a 23 yo in AA and AAA a .369 OBP.

If he ends up a .900 OPS player in MLB... fantastic! But even disregarding, again, whatever SP he's able to provide, or not, in MLB... I'm comfortable with relying on him as an OBP guy that I want in front of Greene.

Just my 2 cents.

My point is use him in front of our best hitters while he's hot. It doesn't mean that's the only player who can hit leadoff, if Meadows starts hitting and Perez goes cold, switch them. Make Hinch do some work. Change the lineup as the season progresses.

Yet another horrendous call that impacts a close game.   MLB does nothing and in a way I don’t blame them since it’s not just Angel anymore.  It’s 95% of these clowns they have back there.  They have no choice to put their head in the sand and ignore it unless they pull the robot lever which they won’t do .

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

Not a hot streak. He's always been an OBP guy.

I know what he has done in the minors.  He has no major league track record.  Again I am hopeful.  I am just not one to hyperventilate over prospects with less than two weeks in the majors.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1