5/14/24 6:40PM Marlins @ Tigers

2 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

took really needed to get Greene to third

yup. Hinch is channeling his inner Earl Weaver - he apparently wants the guys playing for the long ball all the time. Problem is he doesn't have a HR hitting team.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

yup. Hinch is channeling his inner Earl Weaver - he apparently wants the guys playing for the long ball all the time. Problem is he doesn't have a HR hitting team.

Do balls hit into the rightfield stands count as homers ? Can you advance a runner from second to third with a fly ball to right ? How about a ground ball to second ? So why the F are you pulling the ball ???

The best HR hitters go about 1 HR in 15 AB. A decent hitter carries a better than 250 BA, which is one in 4. If you are playing for more than a single to get Riley in and extend the game you are playing to lose. This is not an intelligent batting team - whether it's the players or the management, something needs to change.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dtrain72 said:

Wait, is that also the GM?

When one or two players slump it’s baseball but when it’s the entire lineup underperforming that’s at least partially on coaching. 

How much talent can a GM find bargain bin shopping? 

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

.164 with 2 more guys LOB.        His defense isn't so good that it makes up for this.    Just swallow the money, Tigers - he needs to go. 

This is why I'm out on Scott Harris...a GM with any standards and integrity would tell ownership that he's gonna fire Harvy out of cannon...and if ownership doesnt like it, than said GM with standards and integrity says "whelp, it's either him or me...Scott's just going along to get along and cashing a paycheck.  It's neat that the Tiger are now the Chris Illitch version of the William Clay Ford Lions.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Dtrain72 said:

This is why I'm out on Scott Harris...a GM with any standards and integrity would tell ownership that he's gonna fire Harvy out of cannon...and if ownership doesnt like it, than said GM with standards and integrity says "whelp, it's either him or me...Scott's just going along to get along and cashing a paycheck.  It's neat that the Tiger are now the Chris Illitch version of the William Clay Ford Lions.

Problem is Harris didn't find a SS to fill the hole even knowing that the single most probable outcome of Javy's terrible 2023 would be a terrible 2024. Management by wishful thinking? And don't bother mentioning Kreidler, whose most probable outcome based on his history would be right were he is, the DL.

Edited by gehringer_2

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Problem is Harris didn't find a SS to fill the hole even knowing that the single most probable outcome of Javy's terrible 2023 would be a terrible 2024. Management by wishful thinking? And don't bother mentioning Kreidler, whose most probable outcome based on his history would be right were he is, the DL.

That's good point. Wishful thinking gone ugly. Having said that it's hard to understand just how terrible he has become.

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

And Kreidler doesn't have much more offense. No, Harris was saddled with Javys contract when he got here. And we don't know the details of whether he wanted to cut him in the off-season. Maybe Chris didn't want to eat his contract. Maybe he just couldn't swing a deal for a replacement. We just...don't know.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kdog said:

It's almost...funny? How can any pitcher have such bad luck? One run in 9 innings is all the kid needed. This can be a problem going forward. If he thinks he has to be perfect with every pitch, he could start struggling. Can the kid hit? He couldn't be much worse than some of these " professional" hitters. 😅😅

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, SoCalTiger said:

That's good point. Wishful thinking gone ugly. Having said that it's hard to understand just how terrible he has become.

I think the single most needful mindset in a sports general manager is the ability to see his own players objectively. There was no good reason to believe that a 30 yr old hitter with a sub 600 OPS, poor pitch recognition and a long swing who was not injured, was likely to be a better hitter on his return a year older - he put the evidence in front the Tigers over 550 PA  and they pretty much decided to ignore it. The Mets were ancient history by last October.

Edited by gehringer_2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, kdog said:

"Bad results, good process."

I call oxymoron. There is no such thing as good process that produces consistently bad results. In pro sports the process can have no intrinsic value apart from its results.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

All thats is true, but can it really get much worst at SS than Harvy?  Hell, I'd be fine with platooning both SS and 3rd base at this point just to get him off the team...his mere presence as a baseball player on this roster is like a baseball energy vampire; he's the Colin Robinson of this team, add's minimal valie at best, and drags the team's performance down on the regular.

Edited by Dtrain72

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I call oxymoron. There is no such thing as good process that produces consistency bad results. In pro sports the process can have no intrinsic value apart from its results.

I know Hinch has to make lemonade out of lemons but I hate when people blow smoke up my arse.... its ok to say this offense isnt good and we have to be better

1 minute ago, Dtrain72 said:

All thats is true, but can it really get much worst at SS than Harvy?  Hell, I'd be fine with platooning both SS and 3rd base at this point just to get him off the team...his mere presence as a baseball player on this roster is like a baseball energy vampire; he's the Colin Robinson if this team, add's minimal valie at best, and drags the team's performance down on the regular.

we all now he sucks but the trump card is always going to be how much they owe him