Vikings at Lions

TP_Fan

In the timeout situation, I thought they should have let it run. Up 17-6, I thought they should be happy to take that score to halftime. They took the timeout and it worked. Cool.

In the 4th down situation late, I agreed with the call to go for it. You’re 0-10-1. Not to be crass, but honestly. F*** it. You could just envision the punt leading to a game winning field goal as time expired. Let’s try something different! They did and it didn’t work. Damn.

That’s that though. These aren’t season defining decisions, nor should they be decisions that we base Campbell’s future off of.

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

In the timeout situation, I thought they should have let it run. Up 17-6, I thought they should be happy to take that score to halftime. They took the timeout and it worked. Cool.

In the 4th down situation late, I agreed with the call to go for it. You’re 0-10-1. Not to be crass, but honestly. F*** it. You could just envision the punt leading to a game winning field goal as time expired. Let’s try something different! They did and it didn’t work. Damn.

That’s that though. These aren’t season defining decisions, nor should they be decisions that we base Campbell’s future off of.

Yeah, and we should overlook the back to back timeout penalty. Ignore any fundamental coaching decisions because we're 0-10-1 anyway. What's the difference?

9 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Yeah, and we should overlook the back to back timeout penalty. Ignore any fundamental coaching decisions because we're 0-10-1 anyway. What's the difference?

Did anyone say that?  Just because some people don't actively dislike some decisions that others find questionable by Campbell doesn't me that we accept or like all decisions that Campbell makes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Did anyone say that?  Just because some people don't actively dislike some decisions that others find questionable by Campbell doesn't me that we accept or like all decisions that Campbell makes.

"In the 4th down situation late, I agreed with the call to go for it. You’re 0-10-1. Not to be crass, but honestly. F*** it."

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

"In the 4th down situation late, I agreed with the call to go for it. You’re 0-10-1. Not to be crass, but honestly. F*** it."

I took this to mean that this was his opinion on that specific action.  Regardless you referenced an mistake from the previous game which seemed to indicate you were talking about all past mistakes.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the play called... I'm more mixed on whether to go for it on 4th or not.  But my frustration is that it seems too many people are all or nothing on Campbell.  If you don't dislike everything than you're just an apologist who accepts everything.

15 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

12 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I took this to mean that this was his opinion on that specific action.  Regardless you referenced an mistake from the previous game which seemed to indicate you were talking about all past mistakes.

Personally I wasn't a fan of the play called... I'm more mixed on whether to go for it on 4th or not.  But my frustration is that it seems too many people are all or nothing on Campbell.  If you don't dislike everything than you're just an apologist who accepts everything.

@RedRamageis correct on my thought process. I was fine with going for it on 4th Down there, I was not commenting on prior decisions. I'm also lukewarm on the play call. I know the QB sneak on a 4th and 1 had failed by like a quarter of an inch earlier, but I still think Jamaal picks up one yard more often than not in that situation.

We shouldn't ignore all fundamental coaching decisions because we have a bad team, but we should be viewing them in context. I don't think going for it on 4th and 1 there with this team means that Campbell would have made the same decision to go for it with a 7-3 team two years from now.

People have to understand that what you see a Head Coach do on the sideline is just small part of their job, perhaps even the least important part of it.

Where Head Coaches make their difference is on the practice field and lockerroom and by all accounts that is where Campbell excels so even if you disagree with some of his in game decisions(despite the metrics saying Campbell was right) or if he makes a blunder like those back to back TOs a couple weeks ago that doesnt mean he's a bad Head Coach.

You also got to keep in mind that this is his first year in this position, he wasn't even a coordinator before so I think it's fair to expect some growing pains. Any mistakes he makes on the sideline this year doesn't mean he's going to make them 2 or 3 years from now. 

Sometimes you have to be patient, the players love him and go the extra mile for him that is the most important thing give him time to work out some of the other kinks he may have. 

Edit: forgot about his time in Miami but my point still stands cause he's still relatively inexperienced in the position. We have seen countless situations where guys get better with experience. 

Edited by RandyMarsh
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

People have to understand that what you see a Head Coach do on the sideline is just small part of their job, perhaps even the least important part of it.

Where Head Coaches make their difference is on the practice field and lockerroom and by all accounts that is where Campbell excels so even if you disagree with some of his in game decisions(despite the metrics saying Campbell was right) or if he makes a blunder like those back to back TOs a couple weeks ago that doesnt mean he's a bad Head Coach.

You also got to keep in mind that this is his first year in this position, he wasn't even a coordinator before so I think it's fair to expect some growing pains. Any mistakes he makes on the sideline this year doesn't mean he's going to make them 2 or 3 years from now. 

Sometimes you have to be patient, the players love him and go the extra mile for him that is the most important thing give him time to work out some of the other kinks he may have. 

Oh I agree, I think he's way above average in the getting players motivated. But his in game management stinks. Another example....in Chicago, down 14-0 in the 1st quarter. 4th down in the red zone. Easy call, take the points. Nope, he went for 4th and goal and didn't make it. We ended up tying the game and going to OT. Those 3 points <may> have helped us win.

And he already had HC experience when we hired him. 12 games or so in Miami.

In the NFL, wins often come down to a play here or there. Making coaching mistakes every game will put you at a disadvantage that may not be easy to overcome with such a horrible roster.

With that being said, I would love to see him with a talented roster. He may be able to motivate the team so well that we win by multiple scores. His mistakes wouldn't be as glaring.