The F1 Thread

Hongbit

I stayed up to watch SNL and then the race, but couldn’t stay alert through the whole thing and seemed to wake up every 15 laps or so when there was a yellow flag. I’ll have to rewatch today, but I really like Leclerc and it’s fun to see him having so much success. 

Great work from Ferrari.   I know it was a tough call to throw in the towel early last season to focus on the 2022 car instead of 2021 upgrades but it has played out perfectly.   They are ahead of everyone right now.  RB isn’t far off once they get their reliability issues worked out but they are still behind.  There are races coming up that they should do very well.  Merc has to be feeling great all things considered.  To be this far off with the car but still right in the hunt overall is excellent considering how far away the car is from where they want it.    This is going to be a fun season watching these 3 battle it out.  

Edited by Hongbit

On 4/19/2022 at 3:30 PM, Deleterious said:

This seems silly.

The Miami GP will not be near water.  So they are putting a bunch of yachts in a parking lot for the race.

yl6rpvdi8hu81.jpg

They made a fake mini lake where they will anchor 5 boats (and charge $10k a pop to watch from on board).

Edited by Hongbit

What a perfect weekend for RB and a disaster for Ferrari.   They cost themselves 10 points by taking a risk for a single point.  Stupido.   Hopefully this is a one off and not the return of the strategy that we saw in the past from Binotto and Co.    

Another disaster was the sky sports coverage.    Too much of Lewis unable to pass in a battle for 13th and not enough of better battles higher up.  Also hated cutting away from the live shots of Sainz and Leclerc spins to show crowd and pit reactions while the action was still going on.  That’s what replays are for.  I don’t get that at all.   

Edited by Hongbit

No issues at all with what Ferrari did.  But I learned from millions of hands of poker plus thousands of sports bets.  Don't be results oriented.  Make the best decision based on info you have and live with the results.  It was the right decision.  Every team on the grid will take the free pit stop in an attempt to gain an extra point.  Teams do it nearly every race.  Shit, RB did it about 30 seconds after Charles crashed.  

On 4/24/2022 at 6:21 PM, Deleterious said:

No issues at all with what Ferrari did.  But I learned from millions of hands of poker plus thousands of sports bets.  Don't be results oriented.  Make the best decision based on info you have and live with the results.  It was the right decision.  Every team on the grid will take the free pit stop in an attempt to gain an extra point.  Teams do it nearly every race.  Shit, RB did it about 30 seconds after Charles crashed.  

Too big of a risk for me in based on those track conditions.    I would’ve said the same thing had RB crashed.    

The poker analogy makes sense but curious if and how your strategy would change if you were playing in a 10 person game with only 22 hands allowed.   How aggressive would you be fighting for small pots in hand 5 as the 2nd highest stack?  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Too big of a risk for me in based on those track conditions.    I would’ve said the same thing had RB crashed.    

The poker analogy makes sense but curious if and how your strategy would change if you were playing in a 10 person game with only 22 hands allowed.   How aggressive would you be fighting for small pots in hand 5 as the 2nd highest stack?  

Probably, but I'm a hyper aggressive monkey when it comes to poker.

On 4/24/2022 at 6:21 PM, Deleterious said:

I agree with this. And didn’t checo just barely come out ahead of Charles after pitting on the following lap? Whatever risk Charles took, it forced RB to take the same one a lap later and then defend. Credit to checo for doing a good job there. Charles had just set back to back fastest laps right before he crashed and was in DRS range. I figured Ferrari were just biding their time until trying to overtake on the final lap. If they did it any sooner RB would have taken it right back. 

So, Max had a grand slam this past weekend, which is interesting of course, and Charles had one earlier this year. 

I wonder how a sprint weekend could affect figuring that achievement. It didn’t matter this past weekend because Max won pole on Friday and then won P1 on Saturday. They made a big deal this past offseason to make it that finishing first in qualifying earned the title of pole position regardless of sprint finish. 

If Max had finished second in qualifying but won the sprint, and Sunday played out the same, would that be considered a grand slam if he didn’t officially have the title of pole position?

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

the discussion is the article was interesting. The idea of the link between racing and sales is at this point old school. Of course if it makes sense for anyone it would be for nameplates like Porsche and Audi, but much car buying is becoming very commoditized across the rest of the market - with people not even test driving cars before they order them delivered from the internet. VW is much more likely to find itself more in that latter class so not hard to understand why some corporate board directors were more skeptical.

I also thought the idea needing a rule change to jump was sort of a pessimistic view of their own engineering capabilities, but maybe after the diesel fiasco and the fact that the Germans are not exactly leading in either hybrid or electric tech their confidence is down.