The F1 Thread

Hongbit

Ferrari gets super lucky as both cars lose places at the start and they will now restart from initial grid position. 

Glad Zhou is ok as that is as bad an incident as you will ever see. 

Edited by Hongbit

Joe's crash wasn't that bad. He just got upside down.  How and where he landed was bad and it took a while to get him out.  Luckily there was no fire since he was trapped in the car.

I think its funny Mick apologized to the team for swearing on the team radio after the race.  Gunther Steiner is the Haas team boss and he can't string three words together without one of them be F%$#.

Anyway, that was a good race today. 

Those last laps were incredible!   Great run for Carlos.   Super happy for him to get that first win.    He’s now right on his teammates tail in the standings too.

I feel for Charles.  He’s had some of the worst luck going on 3 years now.   Honestly, he could easily have 6 or 7 more career wins had some breaks gone his way.     Lewis had some poor luck on the slow stop but didn’t matter as 3rd was all they were going to get anyway today.    Off to RB Ring next week and expect to see Max back on top again. 

Edited by Hongbit

Now that I have had time to digest what happened.  What a shit show.

Ferrari has knocked it out of the park with their car this season.  Now they must spend next winter seriously upgrading their strategy department.  They constantly cost their drives races/positions with absolutely mind-boggling dumb strategy.

First was not pitting Charles on that Ocon safety car.  You can hear his race engineer telling him to stay out, so he wasn’t past the pits when the yellow popped.  Binotto said they didn’t have time to double stack and Carlos had older tires, so they chose to pit him instead.  OK, that makes sense.  Except someone posted the telemetry of the race and Carlos was 9 seconds behind Charles when the yellow came out.  Plenty of time to double stack.  Sounds like he was making excuses for bad strategy.

The second bad strategy choice didn’t happen because their driver said no.  On the restart they wanted Sainz to back up Lewis the 10 car lengths you are allowed so Charles had some room to work with.  Sainz basically said no and ran the restart like normal.  Charles fumbles, Sainz jumps at his chance and wins the race.  If Sainz is attempting to back up Lewis, good chance he gives up position.  Then Charles is on old tires and is easy pickings for Lewis.

You got the car right.  Now go back and rebuild that race strategy department. 

On 7/3/2022 at 9:30 PM, Deleterious said:

Now that I have had time to digest what happened.  What a shit show.

Ferrari has knocked it out of the park with their car this season.  Now they must spend next winter seriously upgrading their strategy department.  They constantly cost their drives races/positions with absolutely mind-boggling dumb strategy.

First was not pitting Charles on that Ocon safety car.  You can hear his race engineer telling him to stay out, so he wasn’t past the pits when the yellow popped.  Binotto said they didn’t have time to double stack and Carlos had older tires, so they chose to pit him instead.  OK, that makes sense.  Except someone posted the telemetry of the race and Carlos was 9 seconds behind Charles when the yellow came out.  Plenty of time to double stack.  Sounds like he was making excuses for bad strategy.

The second bad strategy choice didn’t happen because their driver said no.  On the restart they wanted Sainz to back up Lewis the 10 car lengths you are allowed so Charles had some room to work with.  Sainz basically said no and ran the restart like normal.  Charles fumbles, Sainz jumps at his chance and wins the race.  If Sainz is attempting to back up Lewis, good chance he gives up position.  Then Charles is on old tires and is easy pickings for Lewis.

You got the car right.  Now go back and rebuild that race strategy department. 

It amazes me how bad some these teams strategies during the race are.   I know its easy being an arm chair quarterback but the teams have so much more information than we do and I think we can come up with better strategy in front of our tv.

20 hours ago, Deleterious said:

There were not a lot of team members on the fence.  Red Bull had just as many if not more for 2nd place.  And this was Sainz first P1 ever.  

mgod5kk71e991.jpg

This is the first I heard of this.  Do they not like Carlos or did something else set them off?  A lot of things look like they are off the rails at Ferrari even though they probably have the best car on the grid.

Edited by Archie

15 hours ago, Archie said:

This is the first I heard of this.  Do they not like Carlos or did something else set them off?  A lot of things look like they are off the rails at Ferrari even though they probably have the best car on the grid.

Charles was pretty upset how the race was managed.  Not letting him past Sainz, not pitting him on the last safety car.  Maybe his crew was upset too.

It might also be nothing.  Someone posted a pic of Leclerc's last win and almost nobody was on the fence then either.  Some are suggesting Ferrari just doesn't do that like other teams do.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Charles was pretty upset how the race was managed.  Not letting him past Sainz, not pitting him on the last safety car.  Maybe his crew was upset too.

It might also be nothing.  Someone posted a pic of Leclerc's last win and almost nobody was on the fence then either.  Some are suggesting Ferrari just doesn't do that like other teams do.

Wasn’t a great look with Bad Harry Potter Glasses chastising Charles after the race on the global TV feed.   The good news for Scuderia is it’s better that the team and strategy is a mess than the car.  It’s an easier and less expensive fix. 

I finally have an answer to my biggest question about F1!

The standings on the left of the screen uses the first three initials of the drivers last name, except for Mick.  They use MSC for him and I never knew why until this morning.

Michael had a brother named Ralf that also raced F1.  Michael used MSC and Ralf used RSC.  Mick chose to use MSC to honor his dad.

Best day ever.

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Hoping for some odd strategies or car malfunctions to avoid a boring VER/LEC/SAI finish.    I think PER has a great shot to move up the track and podium again.

Or maybe he’ll pull a rookie move and get way to aggressive on the 1st lap and concede his entire race.  

Edited by Hongbit
  • Haha 1