The F1 Thread

Hongbit

29 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Herbert Diess announced he will be stepping down as VW CEO.  Interesting to us because he was the main push at VW for Porsche and Audi to enter F1.  Who knows what will happen now.

I wonder if the Andretti’s sent him a horse’s head.

One thing that separates the good drivers from the great is understanding that being ahead and running your tires too hard is often worse than sitting back and conserving for later in the race.  I’m impressed at how Max has mastered this at a young age.  Lewis is probably the best ever at it but it took him much longer to get to Max’s current level.    Charles is a great talent but he’s got a lot of work to do in this area.    I was impressed with his honestly and humility afterwards.   George could learn a thing or two from him in this area. 

17 hours ago, Hongbit said:

One thing that separates the good drivers from the great is understanding that being ahead and running your tires too hard is often worse than sitting back and conserving for later in the race.  I’m impressed at how Max has mastered this at a young age.  Lewis is probably the best ever at it but it took him much longer to get to Max’s current level.    Charles is a great talent but he’s got a lot of work to do in this area.    I was impressed with his honestly and humility afterwards.   George could learn a thing or two from him in this area. 

Tire management is something Lewis has been good at his entire career.  Of all the current drivers I think Alonso the best at it.  Alonso is getting on in years but he is still a great driver.  If he would have managed his career better and been with better teams he would be one of the all time greats. I think he still is but he doesnt have the results he could of had.

Charlie shouldn't beat himself up too bad since there's a very fine line between driving on the edge and out of control.  As great as Senna was he was in the same position more than once.

4 hours ago, Archie said:

Tire management is something Lewis has been good at his entire career.  Of all the current drivers I think Alonso the best at it.  Alonso is getting on in years but he is still a great driver.  If he would have managed his career better and been with better teams he would be one of the all time greats. I think he still is but he doesnt have the results he could of had.

Charlie shouldn't beat himself up too bad since there's a very fine line between driving on the edge and out of control.  As great as Senna was he was in the same position more than once.

tires are a good example of how different technologies evolve at different rates. Tire tech is clearly light years ahead of where it was yrs ago, yet even with all that - tires still are a major limit on race cars. You could easily imagine a technology evolution that might have produced a tire so good that its life/grip/performance was no longer a limiting factor in racing at all. Just put it on the car and forget about it, sort of like the wheel or a spring. But that kind of breakthrough hasn't happened in tires. I suppose basically because while the chemistry of rubber has improved in all kinds of ways, it's still basically the same class of chemistry. A breakthrough like that might require invention of something completely new in material science. And since the current level of tire performance is now so high for passenger car requirements the economic development incentive for a revolution in tire tech probably isn't there. If something new comes along it will probably be by accidental discovery.

The Ferrari produces more downforce than the Bulls.  I think Charlie will be the guy to beat going into the weekend.  It would help his strategy if contacted Bottas to see if he could do his bowling ball impression and take out both Bulls in turn 1 of the first lap.

30 minutes ago, Screwball said:

What is the weight to hp ratio of a F1 car?

the hybrid power plants are supposed to generate around 1000hp. The cars have a minimum weight (by rule) of about 1700 lb so 1.7 lb/HP or 60 hp / 100 lb or less depending on how much the car is over the min weight.

LOL - I remember when if you got under 10 lb per HP you thought you had a hot car      🚙....  🚓

Edited by gehringer_2

Just wow.

Leak by antitrust authorities: Porsche takes over 50 percent of Red Bull!

In Morocco, among other places, official information was published this week about the approval of an application that Porsche AG and Red Bull GmbH have submitted jointly and which envisages the acquisition of 50 percent of the shares in the Red Bull Formula 1 program by Porsche .

You have to know: Porsche and Red Bull had to report their joint project to the antitrust authorities, including in around 20 countries outside the European Union. The legislation in Morocco, for example, provides that such applications are subject to a publication obligation after approval.