POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

1 hour ago, casimir said:

Ah, yes, tell the females in your life their only job is to procreate and cook.  Let me know how that works for you.

Did something publicly happen with someone that said this recently?   Links or it didn't happen.... and I mean links with the wording that explicitly says their only job is to procreate and cook.  

I have read Butkers speech if that's what you are referring to.  I did take exception with some parts of it, parts in which I view him as a Catholic that likes the conservative push we're seeing with that church in the US of which the pope is actually pushing back on.

There was a part where he mentioned that women, the type of women that would choose to go to a catholic school, may be looking more forward to starting a family then pushing for a c-level position.  My wife was and is very proud of her degree and she was working towards that when we met.  Apparently because I'm a horrible conservative, we also talked about our hopes for our lives outside of work before we got married.  In hindsight, I guess I should have only looked at my wife in the terms of the money and titles she could attain and just hope she would eventually want kids like I wanted.  Obviously I'm part of the patriarchy.  That was later re-enforced when after our 1st child was born, she wanted to quit work and spend more time raising our child.  I encouraged it and when she felt horrible about the lack of financial support from her, I tried to make sure she understood I'd do anything to help her have her wish.  At the time I felt I was being supportive, but I'm woke now and realize I was telling her she should just stay home, cook, and procreate.

It was difficult on her as she was raised in a family of female's that worked and she had a new world out there that said women should be pushing for more power in the workplace.  It was not an easy decision for her and a lot of that was based on outside pressures to be a successful women.  She eventually went back to work, but raised two wonderful kids.  Even if she didn't go back to work, she was successful in my eyes.

Celebrities can say whatever they want just like everyone else.  The media should stop giving them attention when they stay stupid things about topics they know nothing about.  They won't though because stupid quotes are worth big money to them.   

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Did something publicly happen with someone that said this recently?   Links or it didn't happen.... and I mean links with the wording that explicitly says their only job is to procreate and cook.  

I have read Butkers speech if that's what you are referring to.  I did take exception with some parts of it, parts in which I view him as a Catholic that likes the conservative push we're seeing with that church in the US of which the pope is actually pushing back on.

There was a part where he mentioned that women, the type of women that would choose to go to a catholic school, may be looking more forward to starting a family then pushing for a c-level position.  My wife was and is very proud of her degree and she was working towards that when we met.  Apparently because I'm a horrible conservative, we also talked about our hopes for our lives outside of work before we got married.  In hindsight, I guess I should have only looked at my wife in the terms of the money and titles she could attain and just hope she would eventually want kids like I wanted.  Obviously I'm part of the patriarchy.  That was later re-enforced when after our 1st child was born, she wanted to quit work and spend more time raising our child.  I encouraged it and when she felt horrible about the lack of financial support from her, I tried to make sure she understood I'd do anything to help her have her wish.  At the time I felt I was being supportive, but I'm woke now and realize I was telling her she should just stay home, cook, and procreate.

It was difficult on her as she was raised in a family of female's that worked and she had a new world out there that said women should be pushing for more power in the workplace.  It was not an easy decision for her and a lot of that was based on outside pressures to be a successful women.  She eventually went back to work, but raised two wonderful kids.  Even if she didn't go back to work, she was successful in my eyes.

The difference is you both made the choice for yourselves and didn’t need and shouldn’t have had anybody else deciding that path or making comments on what you chose to do and why.   His comments reek of “let me tell you what’s best for you…” and that’s where the insult occurs. Just keep your mouth shut about what women should do. It’s none of your business. And totally unrelatable coming from a pro athlete raised by a mom with an andvanced degree.

And it’s not just men who do this. Women struggle with other women making judgements on their choices.  Those who want to work are judged for not putting their kids first or for not even having kids.  Those who stay home are judged for “just” doing that.  

Once my wife was asked “oh you have to work?” In a very snide way at a chick gathering not long after our kids were born.  She said “I’m sure we could make it work but I enjoy getting out 2-3 days a week using my degree and being around adults”.  We saw that same lady about 15 years later at a 40th birthday for the mutual friend.  She was divorced.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, oblong said:

His comments reek of “let me tell you what’s best for you…” and that’s where the insult occurs. Just keep your mouth shut about what women should do. It’s none of your business. And totally unrelatable coming from a pro athlete raised by a mom with an andvanced degree.

This is the issue with it.  "Let me interrupt your graduation ceremony with my personal beliefs of what's best for you women out there".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I've read this a few times.  I think you've got a combination of sarcasm and reality that masks from me what you're getting at.

Bottom line is this.  You're married, and so you and your wife have to make life decisions that you think are best for your family.  That's fine, some of us around here are married, we get the drill.  But those decisions are for you to make.

Butker's return to priests with backs turned to the congregation while conducting Catholic mass in Latin commentary was about men being men and women being women, pure and simple.  There is no gray area about what he was getting at.  And so **** his opinion on that.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, casimir said:

I've read this a few times.  I think you've got a combination of sarcasm and reality that masks from me what you're getting at.

Bottom line is this.  You're married, and so you and your wife have to make life decisions that you think are best for your family.  That's fine, some of us around here are married, we get the drill.  But those decisions are for you to make.

Butker's return to priests with backs turned to the congregation while conducting Catholic mass in Latin commentary was about men being men and women being women, pure and simple.  There is no gray area about what he was getting at.  And so **** his opinion on that.

I guess I don't even care if a person want to say in public that Vatican II was a heresy (I see you Ross Douthat!), you cross the line as soon as you project that you are judging or invalidating someone else's choice for themselves, whether you do it for religious grounds or atheistic philosophy grounds. You can tie this right to what is so wrong about Alito on the SCOTUS (and Scalia before him, whose son was an RC priest IIRC). He seems to think his view of proper RC/Christian history and culture should have some currency to decide what other people do with their lives. If he wants to live that life, fine, but leave it at the courtroom door or find a new line of work for the sake of the rest of us.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, oblong said:

Those who stay home are judged for “just” doing that.  

If only there were people that could use there platform to point out there is nothing wrong with that path if you choose to do it.

17 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

If only there were people that could use there platform to point out there is nothing wrong with that path if you choose to do it.

It's just not that hard to let people be.

It's a bit odd historically - the original of the three  'Abrahamic' religions doesn't proselytize at all - Jews have never been interested in forcing other people to convert to Judisam, though they will welcome you if you do. Christianity and Islam both missed the boat on that part of the inheritance.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ewsieg said:

There is.

But again the difference is when you imply that your choice to do that makes you a better person than the one who didn’t choose to do that.  Saying “I want to do this” is not the same thing as “you should do this and you won’t be truly fulfilled unless you do” which is what kicker boy was doing.  Why is this confusing?

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, oblong said:

There is.

But again the difference is when you imply that your choice to do that makes you a better person than the one who didn’t choose to do that.  Saying “I want to do this” is not the same thing as “you should do this and you won’t be truly fulfilled unless you do” which is what kicker boy was doing.  Why is this confusing?

Nothing confusing about that.  The part I'm confused by is those saying Butker said that stuff to women.  

You yourself pointed out your wife had snide remarks directed towards her.  Maybe more folks accepting of Butkers views (not necessarily following them though) could have saved your wife those comments. 

I heard him say his wife didn't truly understand her vocation until she was a wife and mother.  

I was never career minded, I wanted to work and do well at it, but I didn't have the drive to go up the management chain.  I did want to be a father, but once I was, it was clear to me what I cared about more and what I wanted to be known for more, a good father or an accomplished worker? I strive for both, but on my death bed I would like to think most people would only care about one of those.

Edited by ewsieg

But trickle down ...

Not only does this not surprise me, but wage theft happened to me when I was minimum wage in the 70s.

3. "These are crimes"

By Emily Peck

Illustration of a one hundred dollar bill being yanked out of the spotlight by a stage hook.

Illustration: Maura Losch/Axios

41% of hourly workers in California said they experienced at least one serious labor law violation, including wage theft, over the past year, finds a new survey, conducted by researchers at Harvard and UC San Francisco.

Why it matters: These violations, like failing to pay overtime, undermine the economic security of low-income workers.

The big picture: California has some of the best worker protection laws in the country, going beyond federal requirements — the state requires overtime pay for hourly workers who work longer than eight hours a day.

• But those protections are just on paper, and the data on whether employers comply is flawed.

How they did it: The researchers surveyed about 1,000 workers at 98 large service industry employers (think fast food, grocery stores and retail).

• The serious violations included not getting paid overtime, being made to work off the clock, or getting paid less than the minimum wage — effectively wage theft.
  • "These are crimes. People have experienced theft of their time, of their wages," says Daniel Schneider, the survey's co-author and a public policy professor at the Harvard Kennedy School.

Zoom in: Typically, information on violations comes from worker reports to state and federal agencies.

• The new survey finds that just 22% of workers report labor violations — and when they do lodge complaints, it's typically to their employer.
  • Part of the problem is that workers fear retaliation for speaking up.

Zoom out: It's common to survey the victims of other types of crimes. Companies in the service sector often put out reports on shoplifting and shrinkage.

• But when it comes to wage theft and labor violations, as Schneider points out, "we have very little to go on."

The bottom line: This is a start.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Can you imagine MAGA's reaction to Jackie Robinson back in 1947 when he broke the color barrier.

We already know just by reading history, only back then they were called “white people” instead of “MAGAs”.

Not exactly sure where to load this. Full disclosure, it's one of my wife's current projects. It's part of a series of events promoting bipartisanship in politics or "how to argue better"

This is from the Western Governor's Conference that's going on this week. Judy Woodruff with a panel of current and former governors from the mostly square states. 

To be honest it got off to a shaky start, but if you fast forward to about 43 minutes in, past the welcoming remarks and Judy's intro and small talk you may find some sane politicians

7 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Not exactly sure where to load this. Full disclosure, it's one of my wife's current projects. It's part of a series of events promoting bipartisanship in politics or "how to argue better"

This is from the Western Governor's Conference that's going on this week. Judy Woodruff with a panel of current and former governors from the mostly square states. 

To be honest it got off to a shaky start, but if you fast forward to about 43 minutes in, past the welcoming remarks and Judy's intro and small talk you may find some sane politicians

Bipartisanship should be next to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.  That’s about the same reality that it exists in US politics today.  

23 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

Bipartisanship should be next to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.  That’s about the same reality that it exists in US politics today.  

And people are getting sick of it. Especially the "saner politicians" on both sides of the aisle who are "quitting Washington". And you are correct the current reality is spreading to the local level as well.

Is the best we can hope for is something similar to the European Union with a dozen or so member nations to come about in time to morn the Declaration of Independence on its 250th birthday?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Hunter convicted on all counts

I have no spin for this.  It sucks for Hunter and Joe and their families.   He was an addict.  I've called the police on my own siblings who were out of control users who were a danger to themselves and others.  

20 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

pretty clear he broke the law as written

unclear how many other drug offenders have been charged with this crime

Biden already said he is not pardoning him

and that is what drives them crazy.

But they will try to spin this as "well if the son of the POTUS is a felon then it's no big deal if the President is a felon"