Instead of going for a FA this offseason, could Ryan Kreidler be the answer at SS?

Motor City Sonics

On 9/20/2021 at 9:54 PM, 1984Echoes said:

How short/ inexpensive of a contract does Story get this year?

He had a bad year.

But what if that means we could get him for 2 or 3 years? Let's say 3/$60?

I would do that on the same basis as having Schoop for the next 2 years... 

A pretty good stopgap that makes the young kids actually "push" the starter out of their job, without just handing a spot to them.

however, you surrender a pick to sign him.  (might be a first round, but not sure).

If I'm going to give up a pick, I'd rather it be for someone who will be a long-term cornerstone, i.e., Correa.  To me, he's the only one that I would give a Lindor-like contract to.  All of the other guys are a bit flawed--Seager (questions around how long he can stay at SS, surrendered draft pick), Baez (K's way too much), Story (splits aren't great outside of Coors to warrant a big contract, surrendered draft pick) and Semien (surrendered draft pick, getting a bit old to make a big commitment, questions around how long he can stay at SS).

Correa or bust.  or said another way, Correa or Kreidler.

The other possibility is a trade for near ready SS that is blocked or just hasn't been called up in some other org - a player in the position that Austin Jackson was in when we traded for him - a guy with no resume but not much downside risk of not performing. The thing is the trade chip would likely have been a pitcher and with Turnbull and now possibly Boyd down long term, they are not in nearly as strong a position to trade pitching as they were when the season started. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other possibility is a trade for near ready SS that is blocked or just hasn't been called up in some other org - a player in the position that Austin Jackson was in when we traded for him - a guy with no resume but not much downside risk of not performing. The thing is the trade chip would likely have been a pitcher and with Turnbull and now possibly Boyd down long term, they are not in nearly as strong a position to trade pitching as they were when the season started. 

This is probably the best option if Correa is not available.  I would still like to see what Kreidler can do.  Tigers don't need to get into another huge contract with no results like they did with Zimmerman.  Spending big doesn't always mean success as San Diego has proven.

Kreidler doesn't have the pedigree or projection to force the Tigers to make decisions around him. He won't even be a consideration in their free agent and trade decisions this off-season. If he continues to unexpectedly develop as a viable big league regular throughout next year, then you figure out where to play him at that point. That said, I'm not worried they are going to have that problem on their hands.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, microline133 said:

Kreidler doesn't have the pedigree or projection to force the Tigers to make decisions around him. He won't even be a consideration in their free agent and trade decisions this off-season. If he continues to unexpectedly develop as a viable big league regular throughout next year, then you figure out where to play him at that point. That said, I'm not worried they are going to have that problem on their hands.

It's pretty depressing when you consider how many middle infielders have passed through the Tiger turnstiles both majors and minors since Iglesias walked and that not one of them has been able to either make the majors or be useful once there. Niko and W. Castro especially since both flashed just enough to get the FO hooked on them, but both have now disappeared for all intents and purposes.

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

It's pretty depressing when you consider how many middle infielders have passed through the Tiger turnstiles both majors and minors since Iglesias walked and that not one of them has been able to either make the majors or be useful once there. Niko and W. Castro especially since both flashed just enough to get the FO hooked on them, but both have now disappeared for all intents and purposes.

Yes and Alcantara was glove-ready, and probably some other guys that I have already forgotten.

17 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

That's definitely another option, but as you say, what would be the cost?  And who is it that would be available anyway?

3 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

Get Kim from San Diego. Signing bonus paid and yearly not too bad. He should improve next year as well and San Diego wants to clear salary to go shopping. 

Contract info isn't available on bbref.  But on cots:

image.png.12d014e00ffb68d854a3482c8b4c2c9e.png

His defensive stats seem fine, it seems like he'd be an upgrade there.  Offensively he's slashing only .201/.269/.332, but he's also at a BABIP of only .246 (vs a league average of .291).  His SO% & BB% are about on par with the league average.  His hard rate and his pull %s are a bit unsavory.  But he's also new to the country, he's still only 26 (in a few weeks). 

I don't know, what are the Padres looking to do?  Cronenworth has established himself at 2B.  Machado is at 3B.  Tatis has been tried out in the OF, but is that a serious long term deal?

12 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If it were me, I've got a SS so I'd use Kim as a sweetener to try to get someone to take Hosmer or Myers, which would make him unavailable on any terms the Tigers *should* be willing to entertain. ☹️

Can he really be considered a sweetener?  I think Kim is an interesting consideration for the Tigers, or anyone missing out on the SS FAs.

Looking at various teams big league and prospect depth charts I see the Reds seem to have some depth at SS. They have a couple guys that are at double A or higher with 50+grades plus their most recent 1st round pick Matt Mclain who supposedly is pretty advanced so they could probably count on him by 2023.  Perhaps we could try to swing a deal with them. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

3 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

The guy you want to chase at SS on that basis is Geraldo Perdomo of Arizona, who just drafted Jordan Lawlar.

I'd prefer Perdomo over Kim. He hit AAA this year and 13 PA's in MLB...

also a good concept, though with Lawler just having undergone shoulder surgery - always potentially tricky -  the DBacks may or may not be less ready to give up SS depth.

They also have 49 wins this year so... I'm thinking they'll want both quantity and quality. I'm guessing it wouldn't be difficult to make them an offer they couldn't refuse (Dan Cabrera, Gage Workman plus Austin Bergner... just to spitball... which is probably way too much, but goes towards my point that...).

One last point...

If we lose out on Correa, etc., or decide not to spend money there... 

We can take a look at who signs them - let's say the Yankees go big and sign Correa - and then see if they have a prospect they'd be willing to move. On that basis, do we have interest in the Yankees top SS prospect Oswald Peraza (only if the Yanks sign a big $$$ FA SS) and, would the Yankees be willing/ what would it take to trade for him?

I bumped this thread cause after looking at our teams stats and what I think we need I'm starting to warm up to Baez for the right price. Yeah we know he is going to have a bad OBP but what he will bring is HR power and I think that is what we desperately need. Our team OBP isn't that far off from league average and with Tork, Greene and hopefully a full season of current Miggy that should only get better but what we need is that HR power. We are 21HRs behind even the league average at this point, which is about 15% less, yes Tork should improve on that himself but at the same time we have to expect some regression from Haase and not having Rogers.

It's not a coincidence that when Haase and Schoop were going off in May and June in the power department that we were doing our best offensively, simply put that's how runs are scored in this day and age and we need more HR hitters to help us score those runs. So while Baez may only OBP .300-.320 you can bank on him for 25+ HRs and I think that would be a major help to the team. I'm not advocating paying him gigantic money but I'm softening on my "Correa, Seager or bust" stance if we can get him for the right price cause I think he could be a big boost to this lineup, more so than what his WAR and OBP would indicate. 

I think Kim could be had without taking on Hosmer or Myers contract. They have Tatis and Abrahms who I would still take straight up for Matt Manning BTW. Perdomo is interesting as is Turang. 

On the free agent side I don't like Baez or any player that disrespects the fans and management like he did. Might be a headache Hinch does not need. Now if his price drops to a one year make good deal then sure. Still don't see Tigers spending real big on Correa or Seager.

I think the sleeper is Chris Taylor from LA on four year deal upwards of 70 million. Shortstop- second base- centerfield so he can move if Kreidler keeps coming or a better more true shortstop emerges. Solid all around player who fields, runs, walks and homers. A 2 to 3 war player. Baller. Also keeps our finances fluid.