2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

2 hours ago, gkelly said:

Are you serious?

Scherzer missed the first few months of this season and ...he's been on the injured list four times since 2019.  

just left the game about 15 minutes ago with an injury.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/sports/mlb/mets/2022/09/04/max-scherzer-injury-mets-nationals/65471098007/

but I thought anybody with basic intelligence and the ability to access the internet could look up his injury history...guess I overestimated some people.  

Yes, I’m serious.  An entire decade of over 30 starts per season.  He missed 5 starts in 2019.  Made all 12 in the COVID shortened 2020.  He’s missed some starts this season.  I’ll take the 10 years of over 30 starts per season (which doesn’t factor in playoff appearances) over 2 seasons with missed starts (one of which was still a 27 start season) as proof that he isn’t often injured.  You can disagree if you choose, but feel free to be wrong.

8 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I'm just guessing that this is a AAAA reward...

Seems odd that someone already on the 40 wouldn't be called up.  But maybe this is just a reward cup of coffee.  Or maybe he fills the role of Barbaro Garbey or Rod Allen on the 1984 team?

3 minutes ago, casimir said:

Seems odd that someone already on the 40 wouldn't be called up.  But maybe this is just a reward cup of coffee.  Or maybe he fills the role of Barbaro Garbey or Rod Allen on the 1984 team?

Could totally see it as being reward for service, especially assuming he ends up gone after the year (which seems likely)

22 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I don't know, I said it smells like it. Struggling with rehab, mental illness. It's a big time underreported underside of baseball. It's my guess.

If it were painkiller addiction Meadows was dealing with, would he be hanging around the clubhouse and dugout every day, as he has said he has been and will continue to? Painkiller addiction sounds urgent enough to have to take time away from the team to address immediately. Otherwise, either he’s putting his addiction on pause to hang around the team for the next month, or it’s not a serious-enough problem to address immediately even though it’s serious enough to prevent him from playing.

21 hours ago, buddha said:

of course, but its not a crime against humanity like some are making it out to be.

its perfectly fine to wonder what's going on with erod and matthews.  its also perfectly fine to be skeptical about what is said publicly about it, cause the parties at issue all have reason to form a specific narrative that supports them and their careers.

as usual "nobody knows nothin."  but thats really no fun.  its fun to talk about what it might be.  besides, erod and matthews arent here, so we can talk all the crap about them we want, lol!

Exactly. They are public personalities by choice, and part of that bargain is that people talk in public about them. They can’t expect that we regular people will only cheer for them, and shut the hell up about them otherwise. Life in the fame lane doesn’t work that way. It’s not as though our speculating into what’s happening behind the scenes on some no-account message board is breaching their privacy or inhibiting their comeback. And besides, I don’t recall anyone here being disrespectful to either Rodriguez or Meadows, even if we are wrong about what’s going on behind the scenes which, given the recent tendency of the press to respect public figures’ private affairs, we’ll probably never know, anyway.

Edited by chasfh

19 hours ago, gkelly said:

It's amazing.  You really have to step up and salute the guy; quitters are amazing.  He should have a statue erected in front of every regular person's house.  Can you imagine telling your boss that you are taking the rest of the year off because you don't feel like working?  Because if the majority of us tried pulling that, we would be fired the next day.  Sorry, but everyone else has personal issues they need to deal with and still go to work (if you work), because if many people didn't, they wouldn't be able to feed their family.  Sorry if I don't shed a tear over an entitled athlete's tribulations.  Who doesn't love entitled people complaining about their entitled lives.  The guy isn't a hero for quitting.  

This is a little harsh, but I see what you mean. It’s defensible to be irked at the idea of someone being practically celebrated for something that would lose most people their jobs. The difference here is that Austin Meadows is a star employee, and star employees in some industries have the ability to leverage their star status to obtain this kind of leeway, while the vast majority of us do not. I’m pretty sure this same industry would not give this kind of leeway to Zack Short or Jacob Barnes, guys who are a couple bad games from having their careers end for them, anyway.

File that one under “Life Ain’t Fair”, I guess.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chasfh said:

The difference here is that Austin Meadows is a star employee, and star employees in some industries have the ability to leverage their star status to obtain this kind of leeway, while the vast majority of us do not. I’m pretty sure this same industry would not give this kind of leeway to Zack Short or Jacob Barnes, guys who are a couple bad games from having their careers end for them, anyway.

Doesn't this describe most industries?

Someone who has more seniority or more highly compensated in my industry tends to get more compensation and / or benefits in my industry, but maybe that's different for others 

Edited by mtutiger

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Maybe for certain higher-level employee classes at some white collar industries.

Oh, I think it's the case in some blue collar industries as well

Equipment operators tend to get more compensation / benefits than laborers in the construction industry, for instance.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

If it were painkiller addiction Meadows was dealing with, would he be hanging around the clubhouse and dugout every day, as he has said he has been and will continue to? Painkiller addiction sounds urgent enough to have to take time away from the team to address immediately. Otherwise, either he’s putting his addiction on pause to hang around the team for the next month, or it’s not a serious-enough problem to address immediately even though it’s serious enough to prevent him from playing.

Yeah, I addressed that in a later post when I reached out to somebody for a sanity check.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

Exactly. They are public personalities by choice, and part of that bargain is that people talk in public about them. They can’t expect that we regular people will only cheer for them, and shut the hell up about them otherwise. Life in the fame lane doesn’t work that way. It’s not as though our speculating into what’s happening behind the scenes on some no-account message board is breaching their privacy or inhibiting their comeback. And besides, I don’t recall anyone here being disrespectful to either Rodriguez or Meadows, even if we are wrong about what’s going on behind the scenes which, given the recent tendency of the press to respect public figures’ private affairs, we’ll probably never know, anyway.

Thanks for your executive post.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Oh, I think it's the case in some blue collar industries as well

Equipment operators tend to get more compensation / benefits than laborers in the construction industry, for instance.

True though this may be, there are also tens of millions of working people who can't take advantage of mental health leaves at all. Retail clerks, restaurant workers, rideshare drivers, truck drivers, general maintenance and repair workers, CSRs, farm workers, security guards, at-will sales reps, and basically anyone working in the gig economy, a lot of whom are subbing in for a white-collar job that might normally afford this as a benefit. If people working these kinds of jobs know or suspect they have mental health issues, they simply plow through it so the income can keep flowing, because if they don't, it won't. Many of us college-educated white-collar professionals tend to forget how absent this kind of safety net is for too many folks.

Edited by chasfh

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

True though this may be, there are also tens of millions of working people who can't take advantage of mental health leaves at all. Retail clerks, restaurant workers, rideshare drivers, truck drivers, general maintenance and repair workers, CSRs, farm workers, security guards, at-will sales reps, and basically anyone working in the gig economy, a lot of whom are subbing in for a white-collar job that might normally afford this as a benefit. If people working these kinds of jobs know or suspect they have mental health issues, they simply plow through it so the income can keep flowing, because if they don't, it won't. Many of us college-educated white-collar professionals tend to forget how absent this kind of safety net is for too many folks.

Was speaking more to the idea that the contours of differences within industries between someone like Austin Meadows and Jacob Barnes doesn't exist in other industries... that exists everywhere and does transcend white and blue collar industries, at least in the engineering/construction world.

But again, all blue collar industries aren't all the same, and even within them a lot of perks or deference may be based on whether positions are highly skilled or not,  sources of funding / clients being served, whether positions are unionized, etc., so I'm a bit hesitant to just assume that nobody from a blue collar industry can avail themselves of help when they need it. As usual, it all depends.

Edited by mtutiger

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Was speaking more to the idea that the contours of differences within industries between someone like Austin Meadows and Jacob Barnes doesn't exist in other industries... that exists everywhere and does transcend white and blue collar industries, at least in the engineering/construction world.

But again, all blue collar industries aren't all the same, and even within them a lot of perks or deference may be based on whether positions are highly skilled or not,  sources of funding / clients being served, whether positions are unionized, etc., so I'm a bit hesitant to just assume that nobody from a blue collar industry can avail themselves of help when they need it. As usual, it all depends.

I can see why you'd be hesitant to just assume that nobody from a blue collar industry can avail themselves of help when they need it. Tens of millions of working people definitely cannot, though, and with that in mind, that's why I said I could see what @gkelly meant.

28 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

But again, all blue collar industries aren't all the same, and even within them a lot of perks or deference may be based on whether positions are highly skilled or not, 

sure - this depends a lot on the level of unionization for example. OTOH, a union shop is more likely to have benefits, but OTOH, there also will be less variation of benefits based on any kind of worker classification system  - union benefits tend to very uniform across a shop. So these things can cut both ways.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

sure - this depends a lot on the level of unionization for example. OTOH, a union shop is more likely to have benefits, but OTOH, there also will be less variation of benefits based on any kind of worker classification system  - union benefits tend to very uniform across a shop. So these things can cut both ways.

No doubt.