2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

5 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I get that argument that bad coaching shouldn't affect everyone because there are a lot of guys who are self coached to the point where they aren't going to be paying much attention to team coaching anyway and so you should get a distribution of guys having normal years. But on the other hand I also believe there is a team synergy to hitting. The more men on base and the more scoring pressure a team puts on the opposition pitcher, the more that stress should result in improved opportunities for your hitters. I don't know how many BA points it might be worth, but I think the effect is probably real.

That said, one of the Tigers' biggest single problems this season is either not swinging at or not barreling up the opposition pitcher's hittable mistakes - I don't know how you explain that.

Oustanding points, I don't disagree with anything you've said here.

The last time I checked, it seemed that most/nearly all of the guys who have been struggling have seen a reduction in Ks and lower LA, fewer barrels and softer hits.

It **may** be that they have been coached/encouraged to emphasize contact, which may have had they consequence of canceling out the mediocre power they started out with.

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I get that argument that bad coaching shouldn't affect everyone because there are a lot of guys who are self coached to the point where they aren't going to be paying much attention to team coaching anyway and so you should get a distribution of guys having normal years. But on the other hand I also believe there is a team synergy to hitting. The more men on base and the more scoring pressure a team puts on the opposition pitcher, the more that stress should result in improved opportunities for your hitters. I don't know how many BA points it might be worth, but I think the effect is probably real.

That said, one of the Tigers' biggest single problems this season is either not swinging at or not barreling up the opposition pitcher's hittable mistakes - I don't know how you explain that.

I think where bad coaching can manifest itself is when things start going wrong.

A lot of players, perhaps most of them, already come into a situation with their own high level of hitting proficiency and when things are going well, everything is great. But eventually, everybody gets a hitch in their swing that gets reinforced with repitition, causes them to stop hitting the ball so well, and they start making more outs. When that happens, the ability of the staff’s hitting coach to identify and help them repair their swing is crucial. If he can’t do that, especially in-season, the hitter may be screwed until at least the winter when he has time to work things out for himself, or with his Driveline guy.

And if everyone on a team gets the swing hitch bug at the same time and the hitting coach isn’t capable of helping, it might be a case of guys just trying to help each other out with whatever is helping themselves, but inevitably failing because every ballplayer’s needs re: hitting instruction are unique and different.

I’ve been wondering for some time whether this is the case with the Tigers.

Edited by chasfh

While it doesn’t really explain the widespread failure of most of the current teams hitters, I think minor or chronic injuries account for some of it. Candy had his wrist injury a few years ago, and couldn’t hit until it got better. Is it back, in a lesser form? We know about Miggy. Do enough of the other players experiencing power outages have lingering issues that account for down years? Schoop is one we have talked about-the thought was that he is still fielding well, so he’s okay. Hitting is different.

Since athletes tend to want to keep playing and “work through it” coupled with a long season, getting them to let things heal isn’t going to happen that often. We had the reduced Spring Training this year, and maybe poorer conditioning/more injury as a result. A good team with depth could overcome much of that. A poor team without depth…

1 hour ago, buddha said:

robbie grossman: 200/302/307 with atlanta.

maybe the braves need to fix their video machine?

The recent results from Robbie make the small hot stretch he had after the trade look a lot like the couple of games he had against the Rangers when he was still with the Tigers.... a small dead cat bounce with water reaching level afterward.

I do think the Braves may have been a little too quick to declare victory on this one....

Just now, mtutiger said:

The recent results from Robbie make the small hot stretch he had after the trade look a lot like the couple of games he had against the Rangers when he was still with the Tigers.... a small dead cat bounce with water reaching level afterward.

I do think the Braves may have been a little too quick to declare victory on this one....

maybe cody will write a correction in the athletic?

2 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

While it doesn’t really explain the widespread failure of most of the current teams hitters, I think minor or chronic injuries account for some of it. Candy had his wrist injury a few years ago, and couldn’t hit until it got better. Is it back, in a lesser form? We know about Miggy. Do enough of the other players experiencing power outages have lingering issues that account for down years? Schoop is one we have talked about-the thought was that he is still fielding well, so he’s okay. Hitting is different.

Since athletes tend to want to keep playing and “work through it” coupled with a long season, getting them to let things heal isn’t going to happen that often. We had the reduced Spring Training this year, and maybe poorer conditioning/more injury as a result. A good team with depth could overcome much of that. A poor team without depth…

Injuries could be part of it for a couple of players - Candelario, Baez and Grossman (before he was traded) all had stints on the IL and one wonders whether there has been any impact there. (Not an excuse, but perhaps a partial explanation).

Again to preface that this isn't an excuse either, but for some of the hitters perceived to be more impact players coming into the season, it may just be harder to hit in a lineup when doesn't scare the other team. Javy would be Exhibit "A".... in the past, he's always been more of a complementary piece rather than being the guy. If he's on the Mets again this year, he likely blends in and might end up seeing better pitches to hit, not so much with this lineup.... there's no place to hide when you're being backed up with the Castro Brothers

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

maybe cody will write a correction in the athletic?

I doubt it, I believe he explained on last week's podcast that even the fact that he was talking to the media and suggesting that the Braves had been proactive coming to him with ways to address issues in his swing still reflected poorly on the Tigers even if he had cooled down.

Obviously do not disagree with him on that, but knowing that, I do think The Athletic may have been too quick to swallow the narrative put forward by the Braves/Grossman as well.

Just now, mtutiger said:

I doubt it, I believe he explained on last week's podcast that even the fact that he was talking to the media and suggesting that the Braves had been proactive coming to him with ways to address issues in his swing still reflected poorly on the Tigers even if he had cooled down.

Obviously do not disagree with him on that, but knowing that, I do think The Athletic may have been too quick to swallow the narrative put forward by the Braves/Grossman as well.

i think cody (and/or his organizational sources) dont think much of al avila.

which is understandable for all the reasons stated here for the last decade, but he comes across as a little biased against al and very pro aj.

27 minutes ago, buddha said:

i think cody (and/or his organizational sources) dont think much of al avila.

which is understandable for all the reasons stated here for the last decade, but he comes across as a little biased against al and very pro aj.

Cody is the best writer on the beat and I don't have much to criticize him for, tbh. To the extent that I do, I think there's a tendency to pass along comments like the ones about Grossman or to share the comment he heard about the draft room being 80/20 for drafting Neto without much of the context that comes with it. And the readership / listenership just tends to accept that as fact without thinking about the greater context.

The latter comment is a particularly good example, the difficulty I have with just swallowing that uncritically are the power dynamics at play inside the Tigers right now; with Al gone, and not without reason, he makes a pretty convenient scapegoat, particularly for employees who are still employed by the team and may be worried about their future given all the changes on the horizon (in other words, current employees wanting to differentiate / launder themselves of the Avila era).

To be clear, I am not saying that what was said isn't true or, at the very least doesn't have some truth to it. But as we should all know by now, whether it's politics or sports, people talk anonymously to the media for a reason.

Edited by mtutiger

That puts these LA Dodgers in the conversation of greatest team of the modern era:

Team W L Pct Start Finish
CHC 621 295 .678 1905 1910
CHC 621 296 .677 1906 1911
CHC 610 305 .667 1904 1909
STL 606 319 .655 1941 1946
CHC 588 312 .653 1903 1908
NYY 599 320 .652 1937 1942
CHC 597 319 .652 1907 1912
NYY 598 320 .651 1936 1941
PHA 596 321 .650 1927 1932
NYY 592 321 .648 1934 1939
NYY 595 324 .647 1938 1943
STL 598 328 .646 1942 1947
LAD 545 300 .645 2017 2022
STL 592 330 .642 1940 1945
NYY 586 327 .642 1935 1940
PHA 585 328 .641 1926 1931
NYY 590 331 .641 1949 1954
NYY 585 329 .640 1932 1937
PHA 582 328 .640 1909 1914
STL 589 332 .640 1939 1944
NYY 589 332 .640 1950 1955

What makes them more remarkable is that they are the most recent team on this list by some seven decades. Every other team listed here played in an eight-team league, not a fifteen-team league.

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

That puts these LA Dodgers in the conversation of greatest team of the modern era:

Team W L Pct Start Finish
CHC 621 295 .678 1905 1910
CHC 621 296 .677 1906 1911
CHC 610 305 .667 1904 1909
STL 606 319 .655 1941 1946
CHC 588 312 .653 1903 1908
NYY 599 320 .652 1937 1942
CHC 597 319 .652 1907 1912
NYY 598 320 .651 1936 1941
PHA 596 321 .650 1927 1932
NYY 592 321 .648 1934 1939
NYY 595 324 .647 1938 1943
STL 598 328 .646 1942 1947
LAD 545 300 .645 2017 2022
STL 592 330 .642 1940 1945
NYY 586 327 .642 1935 1940
PHA 585 328 .641 1926 1931
NYY 590 331 .641 1949 1954
NYY 585 329 .640 1932 1937
PHA 582 328 .640 1909 1914
STL 589 332 .640 1939 1944
NYY 589 332 .640 1950 1955

What makes them more remarkable is that they are the most recent team on this list by some seven decades. Every other team listed here played in an eight-team league, not a fifteen-team league.

turn of the century cubs count as "modern baseball"?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Incredibly, yes. Anything 1901 or later is "modern baseball".

I have seen that definition of modern baseball most frequently, but is it still widely recognized as such?  The Hall of Fame  considers anything from 1980 forward to be contemporary and anything prior to be classic.  I am also seeing more and more people refer to 1947 as the beginning of the modern era.     

7 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I have seen that definition of modern baseball most frequently, but is it still widely recognized as such?  The Hall of Fame  considers anything from 1980 forward to be contemporary and anything prior to be classic.  I am also seeing more and more people refer to 1947 as the beginning of the modern era.     

i guess you could use 1947 because of jackie robinson.  i would probably put it in the 1920s with ruth and the beginning of the movement away from the cobb era of small ball.