2022 DETROIT TIGERS REGULAR SEASON THREAD

chasfh

IMHO, I do think he would be worth a waiver claim. He may benefit from a new organization and fresh start. Still two years before FA from what I understand. This is what needs to be done at times, not saying in particular with MAndujar, but to claim a guy who has had some success, is not too old, and maybe get him right again.

With said I would be surprised if Oakland and/or Washington let him go by before we can make the claim.

Edited by alex

12 hours ago, alex said:

IMHO, I do think he would be worth a waiver claim. He may benefit from a new organization and fresh start. Still two years before FA from what I understand. This is what needs to be done at times, not saying in particular with MAndujar, but to claim a guy who has had some success, is not too old, and maybe get him right again.

With said I would be surprised if Oakland and/or Washington let him go by before we can make the claim.

My guess is that he goes unclaimed.  His hitting has been dreadful.  If I am remembering this right, I think his defense has always been on the below side of average.  He's already 27.  I think the stats and the mileage on him make him the type of player teams wouldn't want to protect over a prospect on the teeter totter of the rule 5 draft.

Edited by casimir

They need to find a leadoff hitter, the best the can possibly get, and get Greene out of that spot.   They can also say goodbye to both Schoop and Candy.  Eat the money, they are only clogging things up.  I would rather see Castro, Castro and Kredler filling those roles.    Go crazy and go get Trea Turner (I know, I know, not gonna happen).     They need two outfielders because I think Meadows' career could be over, and they can't count on him being back.    Kerry Carpenter is okay and could certainly be part of the team next year, but I also have a feeling he could be a flash in the pan type of player, like Akil Baddoo. 

Can they just think big here?     

Do you guys know the latest on.....

Beau Brieske.  I'll admit to not following the Tigers much in the last two months.............It's not Tommy John, is it?  

The starting rotation is going to be interesting.   Wentz has looked good but can't stay healthy.  Manning showed that he might be better than Mize (which a lot of people believed),  Turnbull should be back, but will he be a starter?  Hoping Brieske will return. Skubal should be back by Opening Day, right?   Eduardo will be back and has been solid, but he's a back rotation guy.    Wilmer Flores, Ty Madden, Chance Kirby, Austin Bergner will all be in the mix and then there's Drew, who's like the friend who crashes on  your couch and never leaves.    

Scott Harris has said a lot of changes are coming.   I think that could mean more organization than players.  I certainly hope so.  Team needs an enema 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

They need to find a leadoff hitter, the best the can possibly get, and get Greene out of that spot.   They can also say goodbye to both Schoop and Candy.  Eat the money, they are only clogging things up.  I would rather see Castro, Castro and Kredler filling those roles.    Go crazy and go get Trea Turner (I know, I know, not gonna happen).     They need two outfielders because I think Meadows' career could be over, and they can't count on him being back.    Kerry Carpenter is okay and could certainly be part of the team next year, but I also have a feeling he could be a flash in the pan type of player, like Akil Baddoo. 

Can they just think big here?     

Do you guys know the latest on.....

Beau Brieske.  I'll admit to not following the Tigers much in the last two months.............It's not Tommy John, is it?  

The starting rotation is going to be interesting.   Wentz has looked good but can't stay healthy.  Manning showed that he might be better than Mize (which a lot of people believed),  Turnbull should be back, but will he be a starter?  Hoping Brieske will return. Skubal should be back by Opening Day, right?   Eduardo will be back and has been solid, but he's a back rotation guy.    Wilmer Flores, Ty Madden, Chance Kirby, Austin Bergner will all be in the mix and then there's Drew, who's like the friend who crashes on  your couch and never leaves.    

Scott Harris has said a lot of changes are coming.   I think that could mean more organization than players.  I certainly hope so.  Team needs an enema 

I can see them eating Schoop's contract.  I question whether his defensive prowess might be exposed once the shift rules come into play.  He doesn't seem to be the most rangey middle infielder, and I wonder how much he benefits from the short right field vs left hitters.  Maybe it isn't all that much, I don't know.  But regardless of that, the bat is just not helpful.

The Tigers obviously will have a much better read on Meadows than any of us, but sitting behind the keyboard, I think they need to go with the assumption that a new season will give Meadows's tenure in Detroit a 2nd chance at things.  Obviously if he decides that he's done with the game, that opens up the spot.  But for now, I think its reasonable to assume that his bat will be in the lineup.  And if not, they have enough holes to fill where taking a chance on young players like Carpenter and Baddoo to fill out the OF vs RHPs is fine for now.  They need to add a RHH OF to the mix however the Meadows situation plays out.

Yeah... I wasn't counting the coaching side... but definitely Coolbaugh... unless there's some compelling reason that he is just so much more awesome than what we are seeing and...

As for Candy. I keep him until we have something better. He's also a comeback candidate who, if he does come back, is a good trade candidate at the deadline. At this point, he's a 1-year stopgap (if we make the offer for next year), which gets us 1 more year to evaluate Keith. And Kreidler and Lipcius and anyone else for that matter as well... If someone pushes him out of Detroit I'm ok with that too... I just don't see it quite yet...

A waiver claim on Andujar wouldn't make sense at all. He is a clear non-tender, since claiming him and rostering all offseason means he is going through arbitration with an incoming $1.3M salary and tying down a 40 man spot.

A free agent flier makes sense, but I doubt anything is there.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:57 PM, 1984Echoes said:

Guys that I'm most ready to move on from... right now:

Barnhart, Schoop, and Miggy.

I would bet Schoop comes back. He just had a season of elite D, plus a super low BABIP that might be driven by a receded EV and barrel rate that’s more a symptom of poor swing mechanics and timing than eroding raw power—i.e., he might be fixable. He’s probably not done done, and we’re not going to DFA him or anything like that. I also don’t see Scott Harris “alaviling” Schoop away in trade, although if Harris can swing a trade with actual decent return, given the potential for Schoop’s bat to be fixed, that’s within the range of outcomes, too.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I would bet Schoop comes back. He just had a season of elite D, plus a super low BABIP that might be driven by a receded EV and barrel rate that’s more a symptom of poor swing mechanics and timing than eroding raw power—i.e., he might be fixable. He’s probably not done done, and we’re not going to DFA him or anything like that. I also don’t see Scott Harris “alaviling” Schoop away in trade, although if Harris can swing a trade with actual decent return, given the potential for Schoop’s bat to be fixed, that’s within the range of outcomes, too.

I go back and forth on Schoop.....cannon arm, versatile defender, and up until 5 minutes ago, a plus hitter of the Jhonny Peralta line.  Either he's totally done as a player (possible) or he's going to be a valuable piece as a plus+ defender and a guy with at least a decent if below average bat.  4 days out of the week I feel like it's the latter case.

5 hours ago, KL2 said:

There's also no reason to keep a bad player.

Good point but if we can't trade him, and I doubt we can, then bring him back for spring competition and remember a player in their last year under contract are highly motivated plus his defense remains top tier. I think he is a decent candidate for a bounce back plus the money is already irrevocably invested.