2022 NBA Playoffs

Deleterious

The Celtics attempted 41 three pointers last night.  15 of them were considered open.  Meaning no defender within 4-6 feet of the shooter.  23 of them were wide open.  Meaning the closest defender was 6+  feet away from the shooter.  That is some bad defense by GSW.

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612738/shots-dash/?LastNGames=1&Season=2021-22&SeasonType=Playoffs

These blowouts go hand in hand with the proliferation of the three ball. One team gets hot, the other gets cold and all of a sudden you have a 20+ point game since you're not allowed to play the type of defense that can keep you in the game in those situations anymore.

Ironic that the downside of trying to make the game more exciting by reducing defense and increasing perimeter scoring has resulted in more blowouts that people don't want to watch.

• Like 1

The Top 25 NBA free agents by BORD$ projections in 2022

Just going to list the guys that have Pistons rumors connected to them.

5. Deandre Ayton, C, Phoenix (restricted): $31,406,061

As to the question of how much he’s worth: Even in my valuation system that devalues centers pretty strongly, the numbers suggest Ayton is worth the bite of the apple. My eye test also suspects he could be a more impactful scorer someplace else, with a pretty deadly midrange game for a player of his size. Finally, Ayton will be 24 next season, so this contract should cover some of his best seasons. Going long on a deal for him could produce additional value if he keeps improving.

7. Jalen Brunson, PG, Dallas: $29,371,294

Brunson’s strong playoff run for the Mavericks seemingly silenced some of the chatter that A) Dallas might be willing to let him walk, and B) another team could get him for well below the max. Now it seems like any serious offer would have to be for at least $100 million over the next four years, somewhat limiting the potential suitors given the greater difficulty of meeting that threshold in a sign-and-trade. (If you’re wondering about the Knicks, for instance, they’d have to dangle a lot of not terribly desirable filler in front of the Mavs to get a deal done. Good luck with that.)

As a small guard coming off a career year, this BORD$ valuation is likely at the high end of where the league sees Brunson, but he should be able to get into the $25 million a year range.

If you want to know how bad his BORD$ algorithm is, he lists Bruce Browns value at $19m per year.  Fuck.  Outta.  Here.

4 hours ago, buddha said:

draymond green complaining about other people's lack of class is hilarious.

I came here to say this exactly. He should've been ejected from multiple games now. The refs just let him get away with anything and apparently if he already has 1 tech, they aren't going to give him another no matter what he does because they "don't want to impact the game in that way." This is why NBA refs get such a bad rap - just call each play as it's meant to be called and drop the meta gaming.

Does anyone lose the ball more going to the rim more than Jaylen Brown. He dribbles into traffic, gets stripped, passes it to nobody, or tosses up an off-balance bad shot. Not once or twice per game, but over and over again.

I noticed it early in the playoffs, then it got worse against Miami and I just thought, "OK, Oladipo is doing a good job on him"...but now I see this is just Jaylen Brown. It happens so much it's almost predictable. Frustrating to watch even as a Piston's fan semi-rooting for Boston, but I can't imagine how frustrated Boston fans must be with it.

When he locks in on defense, he's tough to deal with due to his length and athleticism. Combine that with Boston's offense (and most teams in the NBA) of standing around and watching one player try to make a move and it becomes tough to score. On the other side, Boston has some great defenders, but Golden State's offensive system of relentless movement and passing is so much harder to game plan against.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

The Andrew Wiggins redemption arc is a nice story.  He isn't the star you want from the #1 pick.  But he has turned into a really nice player.

That could go down as one of the all time great trades if Kuminga pans out.  Between that trade and the emergence of guys like Poole the Warriors basically were able to extend their window greatly. I thought it may have been shut after Durant left, Klay had the major injury, Draymond looking like he was declining and with Steph just getting older but that obviously wasn't the case.  Crazy to think that they could've had Lamelo on this team too instead of Wiseman. 

BTW I saw a tweet that somebody dug up from pre draft that year from Jayson Tatum that said something like "Jabari(Parker) is way better than Wiggins" lol, of course Tatum was still in HS and either already committed to or was planning to commit to Duke which is where Jabari was playing but I just found that funny considering years later he faced him in the Finals. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

What it costs to win a title.

This years salary cap was $112.4M.

Golden State had a salary of $177.9M and a luxury tax of $184M for a total of $362M.

That number is from the beginning of the season.  So it might be slightly different now.  But still a lot of coin for a title.

Brooklyn spent like $300M and was swept in the first round.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Golden State had a salary of $177.9M and a luxury tax of $184M for a total of $362M.

That number is from the beginning of the season.  So it might be slightly different now.  But still a lot of coin for a title.

crazy,

why do you pay attention to bill simmons anymore?

my favorite simmons moment was after the celtics made the pierce/garnett trade (you know, the one that built this current team and one of the best trades in nba history) and simmons got so pissed on live tv and almost cried.  said the celtics got ripped off.

idiot.

15 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Cheaters 😁🤣