4/17 2:10 Tigers @ Royales

Tigeraholic1

6 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

And the thing is, teams have tried to condition guys into being able to pitch deeper. Nolan Ryan made a big push when he was running the Rangers, other teams have tried more long toss, more of this/that. I don't think it's for lack of teams trying. Nothing seems to work. I'm as frustrated as anyone  - be nice if someone would figure it out!

Nolan Ryan used to submerge his entire pitching arm in ice for an hour after a game. Does anybody else do that or is that considered insane?

5 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

And the thing is, teams have tried to condition guys into being able to pitch deeper. Nolan Ryan made a big push when he was running the Rangers, other teams have tried more long toss, more of this/that. I don't think it's for lack of teams trying. Nothing seems to work. I'm as frustrated as anyone  - be nice if someone would figure it out!

I really think the way it will go is starters being limited even more. 3 or 4 inning starts. 60 pitch limit. Maybe going back to a 4 man rotation and using some starters in the BP. Teams with the stronger bullpen already have a huge advantage. Remember several years ago when the Royals had a shut down BP? They shortened the game to 6 innings. If they had the lead, the other team was in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I really think the way it will go is starters being limited even more. 3 or 4 inning starts. 60 pitch limit. Maybe going back to a 4 man rotation and using some starters in the BP. Teams with the stronger bullpen already have a huge advantage. Remember several years ago when the Royals had a shut down BP? They shortened the game to 6 innings. If they had the lead, the other team was in trouble.

I agree - I think we will see more teams try things like split start systems. Maybe they will have to change the way the wins and losses are scored to reduce possible push back from the players.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I agree - I think we will see more teams try things like split start systems. Maybe they will have to change the way the wins and losses are scored to reduce possible push back from the players.

A couple of points...real baseball fans know win-loss record is a meaningless stat. The other thing is service time. When these guys miss a year and a half, they should pause their service time.

18 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Or they can just de-emphasize the W/L statistic. What is the point of awarding a win when a pitcher only goes 4 innings?  

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m trying to figure out if this team is worth paying to watch on mlb.tv this year. I always get radio so I can listen in my car. 

If this team continues to fail me I can at least watch men’s cycling races on Peacock for a week. Both La Flèche Wallonne on Wednesday and Liege-Bastogne-Liege next Sunday are terrific one-day races. But then Peacock doesn’t have anything else until mid-May. 

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion. 

2 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

I’m trying to figure out if this team is worth paying to watch on mlb.tv this year. I always get radio so I can listen in my car. 

If this team continues to fail me I can at least watch men’s cycling races on Peacock for a week. Both La Flèche Wallonne on Wednesday and Liege-Bastogne-Liege next Sunday are terrific one-day races. But then Peacock doesn’t have anything else until mid-May. 

For sure - if Manning and Mize both go down it's going to be a long season.

3 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other thing that we have to be careful about also is not putting too rose colored a set of glasses on history. A LOT of pitchers did get hurt back in the day, but you only had half as many pros that had to have lucky genes and survive to keep the majors full when there were only 14 teams! And since pitchers did throw a lot more, including in the minors, maybe most of those guys got hurt and washed out long before they got to the majors (because there was no TJ in those days) and MLB fans never heard much about them.

Alluded to this in another thread talking about the Kershaw perfect game ordeal. 

Much as The Beatles and Pink Floyd were the exception and not the rule, for every Nolan Ryan, there were many who flamed out.

57 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

For sure - if Manning and Mize both go down it's going to be a long season.

The concerns with Mize are legitimate, but it's not even clear that Manning will even end up on the IL at this point.

Injuries suck, but they are part of this game. Every single team has them. The Tigers are not unique. And not every injury that comes along will be catastrophic.

At this point, I'm more concerned about the offense than I am the pitching holding up, even with concerns about Mize/Manning.

Edited by mtutiger

3 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The concerns with Mize are legitimate, but it's not even clear that Manning will even end up on the IL at this point.

Injuries suck, but they are part of this game. Every single team has them. The Tigers are not unique. And not every injury that comes along will be catastrophic.

At this point, I'm more concerned about the offense than I am the pitching holding up, even with concerns about Mize/Manning.

story in the DNews said Manning wasn't concerned - he didn't tell them anything was wrong - they pulled him because they didn't like what they were seeing in his motion and he then admitted he was a little sore but he would have pitched through it if they had let him.

Just now, gehringer_2 said:

story in the DNews said Manning wasn't concerned - he didn't tell them anything was wrong - they pulled him because they didn't like what they were seeing in his motion and he then admitted he was a little sore but he would have pitched through it if they had let him.

Yeah, exactly. 

The succession of injuries that has happened early on in this season is clearly having an effect on the psyche of the fanbase. Just prefer to not jump to conclusions until given reason to.

6 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Not me. We're hoping to score runs. It's only April and there is a very real possibility we've lost 2 young starting pitchers. Over-reaction? No, a realist. I still have a JV tweet when he got hurt. He assured fans it was nothing and he would be back in a week or so. That was over a year ago. And like I said, you can't win the division in April. But you can lose it. Without Manning and Mize, this could easily be a 100 loss team. Sometimes reality sucks.

5 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

A couple of points...real baseball fans know win-loss record is a meaningless stat. The other thing is service time. When these guys miss a year and a half, they should pause their service time.

I don't know that I agree with this.  I think there can be real baseball fans that are too old school with certain aspects of the game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Not me. We're hoping to score runs. It's only April and there is a very real possibility we've lost 2 young starting pitchers. Over-reaction? No, a realist. I still have a JV tweet when he got hurt. He assured fans it was nothing and he would be back in a week or so. That was over a year ago. And like I said, you can't win the division in April. But you can lose it. Without Manning and Mize, this could easily be a 100 loss team. Sometimes reality sucks.

Why don't we wait for Mize and Manning to be ruled out by the team for the rest of the year before ruling them out the rest of the year?

With Manning in particular, it's not even clear he's missing his next start let alone whether he's going to the IL. Just not gonna worry about things until I have some actual announcements from authorities on this.

Edited by mtutiger

In terms of off-day conversation, prompted by discussion on the Turning the Corner Pod on this subject, but as much as Dustin Garneau has proven himself worthy of being on a major league roster, carrying three catchers really puts this team in a bind depth-wise, particularly in terms of infield depth. The roster already is hamstrung a bit by having to carry Miggy as an everyday DH with the ability to play 1B, it just adds another hinderance there.

And while it's early and he was acquired more for his defense than offense, I'm left questioning whether Barnhart was as necessary an addition as was made out to be going into the offseason. I do believe he's better behind the plate than the other two though in terms of defense and game calling ability though. IDK

For whatever reason, Barnhart hasn't played up to his averages. If he begins to the discussion is moot because he should be a better player than Garneau by any measure. But whether he just hasn't gotten his feet under himself on a new team or whether he's one of those guys whose bat just decided to retire at 31 instead of say, 33-35+ is suddenly an unwelcome question for the Tigers.

Edited by gehringer_2