4/17 2:10 Tigers @ Royales

Tigeraholic1

22 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

In terms of off-day conversation, prompted by discussion on the Turning the Corner Pod on this subject, but as much as Dustin Garneau has proven himself worthy of being on a major league roster, carrying three catchers really puts this team in a bind depth-wise, particularly in terms of infield depth. The roster already is hamstrung a bit by having to carry Miggy as an everyday DH with the ability to play 1B, it just adds another hinderance there.

And while it's early and he was acquired more for his defense than offense, I'm left questioning whether Barnhart was as necessary an addition as was made out to be going into the offseason. I do believe he's better behind the plate than the other two though in terms of defense and game calling ability though. IDK

As was addressed on TtC, the lack of a bench IF for consecutive days didn't make any sense to me.  It especially doesn't make sense when carrying a 3rd C.  I understand the desire to use Haase as an extra OF, but carrying a 3rd C at the expense of keeping only 2 healthy MIFs (in theory they could use Cabrera as a 1B and Torkelson as a 3B if those situations presented themselves).  Eventually they did recall CastroW, which while not ideal, at least he's been out there before. 

I don't know, I suppose the unknown of Baez's thumb truly was day-to-day and the decision IL him was just a matter of, well, they've gotten to this point, might as well give him a few more games off just to be sure.

As for Barnhart, or anyone else on the roster, they're only 9 games deep.  Individually I'm not too worried about him.  But you probably have a point where in comparison to Garneau, is he really an upgrade?  Oh, and don't look now, but Quintana is slashing .316/.458/.579 at A+ Dayton.  Yes, I know, he's older than the competition and the small sample size applies.

22 minutes ago, casimir said:

As was addressed on TtC, the lack of a bench IF for consecutive days didn't make any sense to me.  It especially doesn't make sense when carrying a 3rd C.  I understand the desire to use Haase as an extra OF, but carrying a 3rd C at the expense of keeping only 2 healthy MIFs (in theory they could use Cabrera as a 1B and Torkelson as a 3B if those situations presented themselves).  Eventually they did recall CastroW, which while not ideal, at least he's been out there before. 

I don't know, I suppose the unknown of Baez's thumb truly was day-to-day and the decision IL him was just a matter of, well, they've gotten to this point, might as well give him a few more games off just to be sure.

As for Barnhart, or anyone else on the roster, they're only 9 games deep.  Individually I'm not too worried about him.  But you probably have a point where in comparison to Garneau, is he really an upgrade?  Oh, and don't look now, but Quintana is slashing .316/.458/.579 at A+ Dayton.  Yes, I know, he's older than the competition and the small sample size applies.

Barnhart will, in all likelihood, regress to his averages going forward... which would make him the best player at the position on the roster, as expected coming into the season.

But tho it's a small sample size, the situation that AJ finds himself in with this three catcher situation makes me wonder how necessary that trade was in the grand scheme of things. I don't really mind what they gave up in the trade (ie. Quintana), but for a guy that was talked up a lot in the offseason and someone for whom extension rumors have swirled, Barnhart has been underwhelming (so far)

As the situation sets right now, the likelihood is that the Tigers will have to hope Garneau can sneak through waivers soon.... in terms of the depth at the position, at least until Dingler is more established and Rogers shows signs of coming back, he would be tough to lose.

Edited by mtutiger

12 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Anyone surprised/disappointed that the Tigers called up Willi instead of Short to play SS?  I would have preferred the better glove there, but he is a black hole offensively. Perhaps with the bats struggling, they put a greater emphasis on offense right now.

yeah, I think the problem is less that they are only carrying one extra IF as the choice of extra IF they are carrying. They are in love with Harold's OBP, but he is just not an MLB SS. As long as Baez was healthy they didn't expect him to have to play there much. Once you put Baez on the IL, and your replacement actually has to play, it can't be Harold. 

But then they go and compound the nonsense by calling up Willi Castro, the worst glove of the three potential IFs from Toledo. With Schoop, Candy, Barnhart all slumping they are paranoid about run production, even though their runs allowed are just as bad as their runs scored.

Granted Kreidler is not on the 40, but as noted - Short is.

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’d leave Kreidler where he is.  I don’t think it makes sense to bring him up for a week.  I’d have preferred Short for now, but Kreidler would be my 3rd option right now.

It's cause Castro is hitting better at AAA

Wait short is hitting better?!

Well then....it's cause....maybe....I got nothing. 

11 minutes ago, KL2 said:

It's cause Castro is hitting better at AAA

Wait short is hitting better?!

Well then....it's cause....maybe....I got nothing. 

Short is at .244/.373/.415 in 51 PAs.  9 BBs vs 17 SOs.  1 SB & 0 CS.

CastroW is at .265/.306/.324 in 36 PAs.  2 BBs vs 10 SOs, 3 SBs & 1 CS.

You know, another way to look at who replaces Baez and keeps things as on par for Detroit as much possible is you look at what Baez's profile is as a player (defense is his calling card and he will feast/famine offensively) and try to match that as much as possible with his replacement.  I think in that light Short could come as close to Baez's defense as anyone on the 40, and just assume that the offense is going to be a famine.  With CastroW or Clemens (who probably isn't a SS option anyway), you know the defense is going to fall short, and if there is nothing out of the bat, well, then what?

1 hour ago, Tigermojo said:

They had that situation last year. Garneau doesn't have to accept the assignment and can become a free agent.

This wasn't the exact situation. Garneau was never on the 40 man before he was let go. He did have an opt out in his minor league contract he exercised though.

33 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Past results are no guarantee of future results.

I could care less about past, unrelated results... which are, not going to cause me to start crying that the Sky is Falling. When it's not.

Hopefully, neither are hurt. It just seems like everytime a pitcher comes our of a game with a bad arm, it leads TJ surgery. The worst part is when teams wait 2 or 3 months. I would think Manning will be OK, but we'll see.