Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

Fascinating podcast on Exurbia from Rick Wilson today.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/democracy-at-stake-in-american-exurbia/id1650861232?i=1000654146579

Basically, those people be cray.   And reasons for that are self-perpetuating social isolation. 

I think the suburbs that qualify in the Detroit Metro would be anything further out than Milford, I don't have a good feel for the situation in the northern suburbs past Pontiac.  Ann Arbor creates a weird situation to the southwest...maybe Pinckney and Whitmore Lake.  To the South well that's weird because of Downriver but clearly Dundee with the large Cabellas store is a mecca of sorts. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, romad1 said:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/democracy-at-stake-in-american-exurbia/id1650861232?i=1000654146579

Basically, those people be cray.   And reasons for that are self-perpetuating social isolation. 

I think the suburbs that qualify in the Detroit Metro would be anything further out than Milford, I don't have a good feel for the situation in the northern suburbs past Pontiac.  Ann Arbor creates a weird situation to the southwest...maybe Pinckney and Whitmore Lake.  To the South well that's weird because of Downriver but clearly Dundee with the large Cabellas store is a mecca of sorts. 

Not just self-perpetuating social isolation, but relatedly, also physical isolation. Ever notice how the people who are most agitated about the "border crisis" are those who live the farthest away from Mexico? They are also those most likely to loc up and go vigilante down there. Some travel over a thousand miles to do it!

We see the same dynamic about exurban and rural people when it comes to just about any decent-sized city. I have heard someone say they didn't want to go into Green Bay because they don't want to get attacked by gangs of ******s there. Predictably, they live over half an hour outside Green Bay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, romad1 said:

This is basically the human condition. If you never see a person different from yourself, pretty soon what is different from yourself stops registering as a person, and it becomes hard to avoid falling into bigotry land. If you demand to live where you never see person different from yourself, you are pretty much already there.....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Not just self-perpetuating social isolation, but relatedly, also physical isolation. Ever notice how the people who are most agitated about the "border crisis" are those who live the farthest away from Mexico? They are also those most likely to loc up and go vigilante down there. Some travel over a thousand miles to do it!

We see the same dynamic about exurban and rural people when it comes to just about any decent-sized city. I have heard someone say they didn't want to go into Green Bay because they don't want to get attacked by gangs of ******s there. Predictably, they live over half an hour outside Green Bay.

I still can’t believe I hear people say that about Detroit.  They freaking live at 23 mile and Gratiot and act like working downtown is being in south central LA in 1989.   I made a comment to a family member a while back about a locally well known place in West Village. “You go into Detroit?  For coffee and pastries?”  They couldn’t believe it. I said “yeah.  And believe it or not there’s often a line out the door and it’s only white people.  And the houses in that neighborhood probably cost more than yours”. 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I still can’t believe I hear people say that about Detroit.  They freaking live at 23 mile and Gratiot and act like working downtown is being in south central LA in 1989.   I made a comment to a family member a while back about a locally well known place in West Village. “You go into Detroit?  For coffee and pastries?”  They couldn’t believe it. I said “yeah.  And believe it or not there’s often a line out the door and it’s only white people.  And the houses in that neighborhood probably cost more than yours”. 

At one time I was going to do a thesis on the history of the riot.  The idea would be that I'd get oral histories from all the people who want to share the stories.   The degree to which it was mythologized over the years was part of what stopped me.   I preferred to focus on things less subject to the distorted lens of fantasy.

On 5/4/2024 at 10:37 AM, romad1 said:

thanks. terrifying.

On 5/4/2024 at 8:12 PM, oblong said:

I think it's natural to believe the area you are in is safer in ways, mostly because you 'know it'.  Meaning you're in it day to day and understand where to watch out, etc.  When I first moved down here, I always heard 'don't go south of 8 mile'.  When I lived in Warren, I heard people say 'don't go south of 10 mile'.  I'm up in New Baltimore now and have heard folks say they don't like going south of Hall or 23.  I remember listening to 97.1 after the Pistons announced they were moving to LCA.  A Detroit caller called in saying it'll be a huge boost for the Pistons because everyone he knew was always afraid to drive up to Auburn Hills, not that it was too long of a drive.  Statistically a ridiculous statement, but he obviously had comfort with what he knew.

16 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I think it's natural to believe the area you are in is safer in ways, mostly because you 'know it'. 

well, I think it's a little more than that. I'll give you the example my fellow Ann Arborites. Ask any mother in Ann Arbor if she has taken her kids to the zoo, and she will say - "of course!." Ask which zoo, it will invariably be Toledo, not Detroit, even though the former is about 25% further away and the two zoos are generally rated closely.

yeah I've heard the "East of 275" sentiment here too.

I've been in projects with folks from the city and we convene in Livonia and they don't feel save in Livonia. 

13 minutes ago, pfife said:

I've been in projects with folks from the city and we convene in Livonia and they don't feel save in Livonia. 

I used to go running in the small hours of the morning in Livonia:  I was young and dumb.  I would invariably have a cop shining his q-beam at me as I jogged.   

16 minutes ago, pfife said:

I worked in Livonia so I know.  I served on a jury and during questioning the judge asked about trusting cops or feeling targeted.  A black man, wearing scrubs said yes and stated "I work in Livonia at a labratory and get off work at 1:30 in the morning"

Posted (edited)

This dude is sufficiently lunatic for this thread. 

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/section/musk-inc/

Reuters deep dives into dozens of ****ty business practices by elon

Reuters exposes grave harms to consumers, workers and laboratory animals across Elon Musk’s manufacturing empire, resulting in investigations by U.S. and European regulators and calls for action from U.S. lawmakers.

Edited by pfife

25 minutes ago, pfife said:

This dude is sufficiently lunatic for this thread. 

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/section/musk-inc/

Reuters deep dives into dozens of ****ty business practices by elon

Reuters exposes grave harms to consumers, workers and laboratory animals across Elon Musk’s manufacturing empire, resulting in investigations by U.S. and European regulators and calls for action from U.S. lawmakers.

I wish he could be removed from SpaceX. 

6 hours ago, oblong said:

So of the living GOP ticket nominees I figure Palin is the only blatant Trump supporter.  You’ve got Quayle, Dubya, Cheney, Palin, Romney, Ryan, and Pence. 

indeed, and Cindy McCain ain't on a Trump train neither.