Tyler Alexander

alproof

This is kinda drastic, but Alexander does have options left (unlike Candy/Schoop)... but I doubt they would do something that drastic in his case, given that he was a rock solid 26 man guy coming into the season.

At some point, it might be worth bringing in Faedo or Wentz for a start or two in that spot, but I doubt the org is ready or willing to do that... they may come up for Brieske depending on how things go with him, but not Alexander.

Edited by mtutiger

1 minute ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Alexander performed well out of the Arm Barn last year.

This is true...

Related, but the Tigers have some hard decisions to make on the bullpen after this series, with rosters reducing back to 26 man. There really isn't anyone there who deserves to be shipped out, but at least one, possibly two, guys are gonna be on the short end of the stick.

Given how he pitched tonight, its gonna suck to see them ship Vest out just because he has options and Drew Hutchison doesn't lol

Freep  article this morning regarding last night’s issues on the mound contained this blurb:

”Opposing the Tigers' Alexander was Dodgers left-hander Tyler Anderson. The Tigers showed interest in Anderson — a free agent this past offseason — but backed off their pursuit coming out of MLB's lockout.”

BS! The Tigers/Avila only feigns he might be interested in upgrades but don’t even offer that anything near legitimate interests existed. 

1 minute ago, 1776 said:

Considering this team totally bombed out of the gate last year I really believed that the organization would be motivated to be better out of the gate this season. Guess what, I was wrong again.

What's worse this year is that the guys that are bombing are guys we are kinda wed to: Schoop, Candy, Barnhart. Last year it was Mazara, Jones, Ramos, Greiner - guys that were there more on the cheap than real expectation they would succeed.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Freep  article this morning regarding last night’s issues on the mound contained this blurb:

”Opposing the Tigers' Alexander was Dodgers left-hander Tyler Anderson. The Tigers showed interest in Anderson — a free agent this past offseason — but backed off their pursuit coming out of MLB's lockout.”

BS! The Tigers/Avila only feigns he might be interested in upgrades but don’t even offer that anything near legitimate interests existed. 

This post is just stupid as they spent 80 million on another pitcher.

Avila’s influence has been severely diminished. They overhauled the entire player development staff last year. But that takes years to fix. We are seeing now that the org did nothing when they started tanking. They just lost games and got high draft picks.

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I really didn't like starting him in the rotation, but they had little choice with Peralta and Pineda not being ready and injuries to Mize and Manning.  He is better out of the pen and as a spot starter.   

Its just another example in this day & age of needing around 8 SPs (of varying degrees and minor league options) to get through the season.

I think specific to Alexander, he was probably only a 5 IP strictly twice through the lineup at most type of SP.  I dpn't know if the shortened spring training is a culprit here, but I think he was pretty limited as a SP to begin with.  Expecting him to last long against a deep lineup like the Dodgers is just wishful thinking.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, casimir said:

Its just another example in this day & age of needing around 8 SPs (of varying degrees and minor league options) to get through the season.

I think specific to Alexander, he was probably only a 5 IP strictly twice through the lineup at most type of SP.  I dpn't know if the shortened spring training is a culprit here, but I think he was pretty limited as a SP to begin with.  Expecting him to last long against a deep lineup like the Dodgers is just wishful thinking.

This is right, Alexander isn't unlike an Anderson or Pineda in that they are all kinda both 2x thru order max pitchers who don't throw hard and whose success relies on being able to locate their pitches consistently.

When any of these guys can't locate, in or out of the zone, problems will arise. And Alexander has struggled here... particularly in the last two starts where he's struggling in the zone and putting way too many balls out over the plate. 

In the long run it may be correctable, but if he keeps it up, whenever Mize or Manning come back and/or when the Tigers want a look at Faedo or Wentz, he may be the one losing starts.