The Better Call Saul (Don't look until you're caught up) Thread

On 8/15/2022 at 10:58 AM, oblong said:

The mind is crazy.  Have no idea where that came from.  I went to Dollywood when I was a kid, drove by it in 2016.  That's it.  I love Dolly Parton but haven't thought about her in awhile.

That's interesting given how she has evolved into the status of National Treasure in just the last, say, five years.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed Squid Game as much as anyone else, but Odenkirk got completely hosed on that. Also, I loved the character Ruth on Ozark, but Rhea deserved that win. The last season of Ozark was a bit of a mess, while BCS was delivering the goods.

PS: I was very happy with all of the love White Lotus got. That show was a lot of fun.

Edited by Shades of Deivi Cruz

6 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I enjoyed Squid Game as much as anyone else, but Odenkirk got completely hosed on that. Also, I loved the character Ruth on Ozark, but Rhea deserved that win. The last season of Ozark was a bit of a mess, while BCS was delivering the goods.

PS: I was very happy with all of the love White Lotus got. That show was a lot of fun.

What season of Ozark did these Emmys apply to?  I'm pretty sure BCS gets one more shot at the Emmys for the season that just concluded .

46 minutes ago, oblong said:

What season of Ozark did these Emmys apply to?  I'm pretty sure BCS gets one more shot at the Emmys for the season that just concluded .

Yes, this Emmy awards was before much of Season 6 aired.    Bob Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn will get nominations again, as will the series.   The Emmys have never much liked this series.   How Michael McKean didn't even get a nomination for Chicanery is just a crime.  Brilliant acting in that episode.   One of the most underappreciated actors ever. 

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Yes, this Emmy awards was before much of Season 6 aired.    Bob Odenkirk and Rhea Seehorn will get nominations again, as will the series.   The Emmys have never much liked this series.   How Michael McKean didn't even get a nomination for Chicanery is just a crime.  Brilliant acting in that episode.   One of the most underappreciated actors ever. 

because the show is not easily digested. It requires discipline by the viewer to invest.  You can't watch it while playing on your phone or folding laundry.  You could have a great 3 minute sequence of no dialogue, just brilliant camera shots and framing of Mike building a hidden compartment in his closet.  That shit don't work for the Emmys.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

because the show is not easily digested. It requires discipline by the viewer to invest.  You can't watch it while playing on your phone or folding laundry.  You could have a great 3 minute sequence of no dialogue, just brilliant camera shots and framing of Mike building a hidden compartment in his closet.  That shit don't work for the Emmys.

7 minutes of Mike taking apart his car looking for a transmitter, no dialogue.........brilliant work, brilliant editing.....Jonathan Banks literally taking the car apart by himself (he really did)............but no dramatic speech,  I understand that,  but the acting is brilliant in this, especially Odenkirk.   Mr. Show prepared him well to play a multi-dimensional, multi-personality part.     Maybe AMC didn't bribe enough. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
5 hours ago, chasfh said:

Golden Globes is foreign press, right? Voters might have a different standard, based on the cultural currency of their individual countries, versus that of the Academy. Just spitballing on that one, though.

I just don't get it, because the Emmys seems to have a problem with the show too.   Rhea Seehorn has never been nominated, which is ridiculous.  The nominations are based on a performance in a single episode and Michael McKean didn't even get nominated for the Chicanery episode.  Are you kidding.  That was a brilliant performance - in 10 short minutes.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

• 6 months later...
7 hours ago, oblong said:

I assume succession, since it just ended, will have another Emmy season?  If so I think that’s some hope for BCS winning a few. 

Has BCS ever won a single Emmy?    I think they've been snubbed.   To me, the biggest snub (they submit acting performances for single episodes) was Michael McKean in the Chicanery episode (his meltdown in Jimmy's hearing).  He was so freaking brilliant in that episode.  He wasn't even nominated.     He was so good in that role.  The same guy that played Lenny and David St. Hubbins in Spinal Tap played that soulless, jealous, scheming crank to perfection.    (and, as we all know Chuck was 100% right about Jimmy).  

My guess is that Ms. Seehorn was nominated for the Waterworks episode.   Geez, the Shuttle Scene alone would have been enough, but that whole episode she was brilliant.    The only character in BCS that left it with a shot at redemption.  

• Like 1

I don't think they have ever won.  For some reason those voters didn't get the show.

I just watched Odenkirk last night in The Bear and was reminded of how good he was.  My wife was casually in the room with me during the BCS run, she didn't really watch it, but is so into The Bear and she was blown away by his performance.  I told her "See what you have been missing?"

9 minutes ago, oblong said:

I don't think they have ever won.  For some reason those voters didn't get the show.

I just watched Odenkirk last night in The Bear and was reminded of how good he was.  My wife was casually in the room with me during the BCS run, she didn't really watch it, but is so into The Bear and she was blown away by his performance.  I told her "See what you have been missing?"

I have not watched The Bear yet.    Our station just re-added "Strange Currencies" by R.E.M. because of it's use in the show.  Won't be the same comeback as Kate Bush's song from Stranger Things, but yeah, people have requested it.