The Better Call Saul (Don't look until you're caught up) Thread

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Well I do think it showed us something.  Saul/Gene had two opportunities we know of to not go hard.  The Walt/Jesse scene was there so that Mike could come in and tell him about Walter and that he should just forget about him.  He's dangerous.  Saul ignored him.  In the "present" he was told to not go after the cancer guy at the bar and he was given the choice again and he ignored it.

If Saul took Mike's advice how different would have things played out for everyone in the show?

People forget how much of a catalyst he was for pushing Walter. There was a time early Season 3 of Breaking Bad where Walt hangs it up to focus on Skyler coming back, Jesse mourning Jane, and Saul's main role is egging them on and convincing them to make him money.

He's doing the same with Jeff and his buddy, and bringing those guys in for a cameo just drives that home. The parallels.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Maybe she stumbles on one of his Better Call Saul ads on Youtube. That is after all how the son found out about Saul. 

Didn’t the son used to live in Albuquerque and recognize Saul from living and advertising there? I don’t remember, I’m not good with details in this. 

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I could have done without all the cameos to this point. Not that it ruined it for me or anything, but it just felt forced, like they felt they had to show Jessie and Walt to appease their audience, when BCS is doing just fine on its own.

If they do something with it, that substantially changes the way we think about BB, that may change my mind.

I predict Jesse will show up in the Gene timeline, at at least news of him getting caught.  Didn’t Francesca say Jesse was the last outstanding thread the Feds were still pursuing apart from Saul?

19 hours ago, lordstanley said:

I predict Jesse will show up in the Gene timeline, at at least news of him getting caught.  Didn’t Francesca say Jesse was the last outstanding thread the Feds were still pursuing apart from Saul?

I wonder if Jesse will be the next spinoff?

On 8/2/2022 at 11:45 AM, lordstanley said:

We know that Walt and Jessie each have one more scene and they are separate scenes, but I think they are going let Jesse have the happy ending.   He turned out to be a sympathetic character who actually had a soul, so he'll be the only one that doesn't get totally ruined.............He's been through his Hell.  

If there is a spinoff, it would either be Kim in the post Gene timeline or maybe a younger Lalo (but not with Tony Dalton), but based on what I heard from a former co-worker from my ABQ radio days (he's a native), they're shutting down the studio there for good.  

14 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

When they pulled the first scam of ripping off the store it was October 2010 (if you look up the Nebraska football schedule).   So roughly 6-8 months. 

The phone call with Francesca took place on November 12, 2010, at 3pm Albuquerque time.

- None of these are given away in that cryptic finale teaser

I saw one theory that talked ab out the title of the next episode being Waterworks. 

Could be multiple meanings

Waterworks - Kim works for a sprinkler company

Waterworks - Gene cries his way out of getting caught at Cancer Guy's house 

Waterworks............Water Works is only 2 spots ahead of Go To Jail.   Interesting theory.    Marvin Gardens lays between.  What if cancer guy's name is Marvin?  

We already know that the cops show up at Cancer Guy's house.   We saw that in the Waterworks teaser.   One of two things are going to happen..........Gene goes in the house to find CG either dead or dying and he is able to get out of the house just before the cops show up or he doesn't have time to get out so he starts doing CPR on the guy to make it look good for the cops (I was worried, I followed him home, he didn't answer, I broke in)

If CG dies it's very doubtful that there would be an autopsy.   He's drinking heavily, taking cancer meds and weak from the cancer - and unlike TV Cop shows a true tox screen would take several weeks to reveal an overdose.  So even if they did do an autopsy it would give Gene time to hightail it out of there.

I never thought I would say this and it really comes down to how the stick the landing here, but Better Call Saul might be better than Breaking Bad.    I don't know, the end will determine it because they are pretty equal and I never thought that would happen.   I thought a show with Saul Goodman in the lead was a silly idea.  So glad I was wrong.  

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I never thought I would say this and it really comes down to how the stick the landing here, but Better Call Saul might be better than Breaking Bad.    I don't know, the end will determine it because they are pretty equal and I never thought that would happen.   I thought a show with Saul Goodman in the lead was a silly idea.  So glad I was wrong.  

I remember on the old site (RIP), there was a lot of resistance to the idea of BCS when it first was announced. People thought it was just monetizing off of BB and I remember people asking how they could possibly pull off something about the lawyer.

How far we’ve come!!

3 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I remember on the old site (RIP), there was a lot of resistance to the idea of BCS when it first was announced. People thought it was just monetizing off of BB and I remember people asking how they could possibly pull off something about the lawyer.

How far we’ve come!!

Especially when you know how and when half the cast would die.   LOL.  

I tend to agree that BCS is at LEAST on par with BB. Personally I think it’s better, though I understand that some will be offended by that notion.

I feel like BCS is more nuanced, more educated and in depth in a sense. There is a subtle, long-term, and largely secret transformation you get to witness, and it’s masterful - magical almost - how that’s pulled off despite knowledge of so much of the “end”.

BB is more mainstreamed. I’m not surprised it’s won more awards. I think it appeals more to the common man that wants to enjoy television, but not have to think all that deeply (nothing wrong with this to be clear!!). It was a very novel concept when it came out, and it was a fun and extremely entertaining ride to watch Walt become Heisenberg.

I just tend to lean BCS > BB personally.

11 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I tend to agree that BCS is at LEAST on par with BB. Personally I think it’s better, though I understand that some will be offended by that notion.

I feel like BCS is more nuanced, more educated and in depth in a sense. There is a subtle, long-term, and largely secret transformation you get to witness, and it’s masterful - magical almost - how that’s pulled off despite knowledge of so much of the “end”.

BB is more mainstreamed. I’m not surprised it’s won more awards. I think it appeals more to the common man that wants to enjoy television, but not have to think all that deeply (nothing wrong with this to be clear!!). It was a very novel concept when it came out, and it was a fun and extremely entertaining ride to watch Walt become Heisenberg.

I just tend to lean BCS > BB personally.

To me, Breaking Bad is like The Sopranos, BCS is like Mad Men. Pace and character development-wise. 

On 8/6/2022 at 11:09 AM, lordstanley said:

To me, Breaking Bad is like The Sopranos, BCS is like Mad Men. Pace and character development-wise. 

I mentioned this earlier but I saw a comment on the internet comparing Breaking Bad to Godfather I and BCS to Godfather II.  The first one is more popular and accessible but the second one is the better film and story.

No criticism at all of Breaking Bad.  It's hard for me to judge clearly because I binged Breaking Bad when BCS was announced so that I could follow along BCS in real time.  So maybe I didn't get the full experience knowing my answers were just an hour away if I chose to keep going that day.  Sometimes the joy is waiting for the next episode or season and chewing on what you just saw for awhile.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So was Jimmy actually talking to Kim in the booth?  He was in a heated discussion and obviously pissed about something at the end of it.  I am assuming he talked to Kim and she basically told him to leave her alone and he lost it.

Gene just turning back into Slippin Jimmy, going full circle.  Scamming just to scam apparently...need that money after finding out all his shells are compromised.

They did bring up the lazer tag which was a cool throw back.

The scene with Walt and Jessie did not feel right...I am sure the actors get into character over time and when asked to revisit that character again for a short time it comes off weird...or maybe it was just me...it did not feel right the way they were acting in that scene.

I think the add in is the cancer.  It did not do much for me at all.  It was kinda cool to see Mike telling Saul that Walt was amateur and to stay away.  Makes Mikes ending a little more tragic.  I mean he was not a fan of Walt through most of BB anyway, but to see it right off the bat.

There is something extremely creepy about Jimmy picking these guys out...it is not random or just opportunistic...he talks about how hard it is to find guys with no family, who live alone and have money....then he has to figure out where they like to drink then just saddle up and play the moron.  I started out kinda rooting for Jimmy...the first few seasons maybe, but when it gets into the nitty gritty about what he does it just hammers home the idea that he is the bad guy.

Do we think the feds are on the secretary?  I would assume they would still be following her and even though she does make a few turns to rid herself of someone she thought was following her...may be hard to know for sure.  I would assume they would have already tracked the number back to where Gene is at currently.  I would also assume she is using different phones...also ASSUMING they have talked before since everything went down.  

How did Gene get word to her to be at that phone at that time?

6 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Do we think the feds are on the secretary?  I would assume they would still be following her and even though she does make a few turns to rid herself of someone she thought was following her...may be hard to know for sure.  I would assume they would have already tracked the number back to where Gene is at currently.  I would also assume she is using different phones...also ASSUMING they have talked before since everything went down.  

How did Gene get word to her to be at that phone at that time?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

So was Jimmy actually talking to Kim in the booth?  He was in a heated discussion and obviously pissed about something at the end of it.  I am assuming he talked to Kim and she basically told him to leave her alone and he lost it.

Gene just turning back into Slippin Jimmy, going full circle.  Scamming just to scam apparently...need that money after finding out all his shells are compromised.

They did bring up the lazer tag which was a cool throw back.

The scene with Walt and Jessie did not feel right...I am sure the actors get into character over time and when asked to revisit that character again for a short time it comes off weird...or maybe it was just me...it did not feel right the way they were acting in that scene.

I think the add in is the cancer.  It did not do much for me at all.  It was kinda cool to see Mike telling Saul that Walt was amateur and to stay away.  Makes Mikes ending a little more tragic.  I mean he was not a fan of Walt through most of BB anyway, but to see it right off the bat.

There is something extremely creepy about Jimmy picking these guys out...it is not random or just opportunistic...he talks about how hard it is to find guys with no family, who live alone and have money....then he has to figure out where they like to drink then just saddle up and play the moron.  I started out kinda rooting for Jimmy...the first few seasons maybe, but when it gets into the nitty gritty about what he does it just hammers home the idea that he is the bad guy.

I think the call blew up too quickly for it to be Kim. That would be out of line with what we know about their past relationship.  The only way I can see Jimmy reacting that way with Kim is if she told him that the feds are putting the squeeze on her, as his ex-wife, and that by refusing to talk she has suffered consequences which she is fine with. Like he got angry when hearing from Francesca about the Feds finding the other sources of income. Maybe still technically married to him and had some assets seized?

My guess is that someone else came on the line and told Jimmy that Kim has left the company and they are not going to give him a forwarding number on her. And maybe, like someone else theorized, that the sprinkler company”s number is now a controlled line. 

I don’t believe Francesca told Jimmy she works at a sprinkler company, did she? Only that she was asking about him? So he must have had some contact with her over the years? 

Edited by lordstanley