The Better Call Saul (Don't look until you're caught up) Thread

13 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Barring that...I wonder what their next show will be....these guys have a talent for creating compelling shows....they do not have to follow this story.  Start a new one.

I agree. I don’t think they will capitalize further on BB/BCS if they don’t see a winner on level with these shows. They don’t see the type to make something just for the sake of monetizing on a brand, they would want it to be really good.

I don’t think there is any way they’re out of ideas for shows generally though….. even if it’s not in this universe.

Edited by MichiganCardinal

Watched the episode again and everybody we root for won.     But they are all hollow victories.    

What exactly did they win?

Gustavo can't be who he really is.  All those people surrounding him but he is totally alone and can only trust people that he pays (and even that's iffy).  He could never get together with David.  His true persona might come out or David could end up a casualty.  He has to be guarded at all times.   Everything in his life is a lie.  Sitting on a mountain of money for what?  

Mike - this honorable criminal thing...............Nacho's dad set him straight, "you gangsters are all the same".  In two sentences he quietly and poetically put Mike in his place.   Yeah Mike, a good criminal............fuck you, you're a scumbag.  We just like you because you're OUR scumbag.    Oh, you're not as twisted as the Salamancas..........well, neither was the Manson Family.   Mike doesn't speak Spanish but he got the message loud and clear.   No victory there - just sitting at home in the dark drinking his Pabst Blue Ribbon, a sell out as a cop and now a sell out as a crook.  No honor in that.     

Kim - Flew too close to the Sun because it was "fun".   Orchestrated ruining a man's reputation and going so far as to flat-out lie to his grieving wife.   That's what broke Kim.  She didn't just destroy Howard, she destroyed Howard's family, friends and the law firm where her friends work, a place where she would have been a partner in 10-15 years.  Destroyed the man that paid for her education because he punished her a little bit.  

Jimmy - The timeline jump............surrounding himself with tacky opulence to make up for his sad life as Saul Goodman.  Going full Saul, with a prostitute in his rotating bed, his gold toilet, his comb-over and NutriGrain bars.  Yeah, people screwed you Jimmy, you deserved better from Chuck & Howard, but you destroy everything and this pathetic existence is all that's left.  Chimp with a machine gun. 

It was a very sad episode.  

And a very very interesting trailer for the next episode with Saul sounding like a carnival barker making a bad cable commercial.    Theory is that audio is from the Gene timeline - a store at the mall where Gene works - he gets on the PA and causes some kind of stir as people rush to get free things - maybe trying to draw attention away from something he's going to do.   I just love the way they frame thing,  no idea what's really coming.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2022 at 1:00 PM, Motown Bombers said:

It's possible we never see Walt and Jessie through Saul. It was Walt and Jessie who killed Tuco and the cousins came up to kill Walt. That may be when we first see Walt and Jessie. There's multiple ways this could go. 

I seem to remember Hank killing Tuco. Gus suggests the cousins kill Hank instead of Walt.

47 minutes ago, VegasTiger said:

I seem to remember Hank killing Tuco. Gus suggests the cousins kill Hank instead of Walt.

And then warned Hank about it so Hank would do the killing and save him the war.  

A lot of people online seem to think that Kim somehow sent Jeff the Cab Driver to find Saul. 

I think we'll find out Kim has joined NXIVM and somehow Gene finds out and saves her.   

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

And then warned Hank about it so Hank would do the killing and save him the war.  

A lot of people online seem to think that Kim somehow sent Jeff the Cab Driver to find Saul. 

I think we'll find out Kim has joined NXIVM and somehow Gene finds out and saves her.   

Yeah, I'm gonna need pics or it didn't happen.

So there is a Jeff The Cab Driver issue. 

The actor that shot the scenes we saw in Season 4 was not able to shoot any scenes for Season 6 because I guess he's in a new series.    So the BCS folks cast a different actor to play Jeff (and we'll see those scenes again soon).   So, as far as syndication (Netflix and the like) does that mean they put the new Jeff in the old episodes too for continuity?   I mean, when you watch it over a 3 year span it's not a big deal, but binge it and see those episodes in the same week and it's gonna be weird. 

An episode of Seinfeld where George parks his father's car in handicapped space and it gets torn up by an angry mob, in the original airing it was a different actor playing Frank Costanza.    He had health issues and couldn't reappear so they re-cast Jerry Stiller.   For syndication they actually went back and re-shot scenes.      A different actor play Jerry's father in the first few episodes before they re-cast Barney Martin, but they did not re-shoot those scenes.  

That happened on the sopranos with Danielle, the undercover FBI agent. She was introduced at the end of one of the seasons but a different actress played her the next so they reshot that scene. Unless you recorded the original showings you never see it. 

SNL has done that a lot with the dress rehearsal sketches.  If it’s better at dress then that’s what gets preserved. 

4 hours ago, oblong said:

That happened on the sopranos with Danielle, the undercover FBI agent. She was introduced at the end of one of the seasons but a different actress played her the next so they reshot that scene. Unless you recorded the original showings you never see it. 

SNL has done that a lot with the dress rehearsal sketches.  If it’s better at dress then that’s what gets preserved. 

Yep,  First Fairuza Balk played Danielle in one episode, I think it was one, and then it was Lola Glaudini.  I think that was probably easier to go back and re-shoot with Lola because it might have been only one or two quick scenes.   Fairuza is from California  and looks MIddle Eastern and also kind of carries a darker, punk-rock vibe.   Lola, on the other hand is an Italian girl from NYC who looks like the kind of rich Jersey girl that Adriana would hang out with.   Maybe that's why they made the change, but I think it was because Lola lived in NYC most of the time and Fairuza  would have to fly in from California and it just lined up better.   If I'm not mistaken, Lola was the original choice but she was committed to Criminal Minds, but wound up quitting that show and became available. 

It's like Back To the Future,  all but the prom scenes were shot with Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly, but he was playing it too dramatically.   Michael J. Fox was the first choice but they were filming the same time as Family Ties and he was committed.  The producers and directing staff were watching the dailies and things just weren't funny enough.   They wound up with Fox after they made a deal with Family Ties.  Every indoor scene in the movie was shot in the middle of the night so Fox could do both.    The film was almost done and Tom Wilson (Biff) got a call to come in immediately to talk to the producer and directors.  He wasn't told why, and he pleaded with them to just tell him he was fired over the phone but they said that's not it.  He drove over to the offices of the casting director thinking he was about to be told he was fired (he was not clicking at all with Stoltz and everyone knew it.......Stoltz went method on a lot of the physical scenes and Wilson was going to really lay into him on the last day).   He gets there and all the young actors, Crispin Glover, Lea Thompson. Billy Zane, are all there and the director walked in with Michael J. Fox and told them all..........."I hope you guys like working midnights".    There are a couple of shots in the movie - at Doc's 1955 house, where you see Doc from Marty's point of view, over Marty's shoulder and it's Eric Stoltz' shoulder.     

1 minute ago, Edman85 said:

Well the beginning of the montage was.

Still can't believe Carol Burnett got the headlines, but Jerry from Parks and Rec isn't press worthy.

I looked up the Nebraska schedules and they lost a close one to Texas and then played Oklahoma State.    Bo Pellini was the Head Coach and it was their last year in the Big 12.    

I thought Nebraska joined the Big Ten a lot earlier than that.