The Better Call Saul (Don't look until you're caught up) Thread

Different actor and that threw me off a little bit.  I knew what they were doing with it but assumed it was either another incident of getting caught or I forgot a scene.

I wanted a cinnabon but after watching him eat about 10 of them my stomach was hurting.

34 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Did anyone enjoy the irony of Slippin' Jimmy's plan almost being done in by a legitimate slip and fall? 

There was also a little throwback to Breaking Bad. I kept remembering the scene when Walt was planting the bug in Hank's office and started to have a breakdown.

26 minutes ago, oblong said:

Different actor and that threw me off a little bit.  I knew what they were doing with it but assumed it was either another incident of getting caught or I forgot a scene.

I wanted a cinnabon but after watching him eat about 10 of them my stomach was hurting.

I want to see if they reshoot the old scenes with the new actor

Wife was out of town and I could not wait anymore.  I will re-watch with her tomorrow or something.

An entire Gene episode, but not a ton of movement, just a caper and the set up.  I was waiting for Carol to tell him to bring the dog over...the whole time when she asked I was like "just say the dog is gone"...the show is great, but I did not want to watch an episode of Jimmy trying to find a dog that looks like the one in the pic to bring to Carols house.

Why so many trips stealing all the stuff...couldn't the dude have gotten a cart or something?

I thought FOR SURE the dude with the floor cleaner was going to catch the guy stealing....he was not there in that last shot when Jimmy was going to the security office.

I do not really recall the significance of the ring...did Kim give it to him?

So the dude who recognized Jimmy was with a bad crowd in New Mexico...that is interesting, but a little late in the game for new connections.

Not a ton stood out in this episode for me.  According to the BCS timeline it is 2010 and roughly 3 years from the last episode.  Jimmy wants out...it looks that way anyway.  Looking at those shirts...the sigh after the caper pulled off and almost got wrong.  I wonder if he just sets up shop as a new hustler while keeping his Cinnabun manager persona where he is at.  I could see Vince writing it like that...2 episodes back with Jimmy and the last episode tying up Genes timeline as he turns back into Slippin Jimmy again to start the process all over again.

Since we now know (from the episode before) that him and Kim are quits and have been for awhile I am not 100% sure they bring her back.

This felt like a filler episode.  Kind of like the fly one in BB...I know a lot of people liked that episode, but it provided little movement in the story itself and was one of my least favorite.

2 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

This felt like a filler episode.  Kind of like the fly one in BB...I know a lot of people liked that episode, but it provided little movement in the story itself and was one of my least favorite.

That occurred to me, too, and to your point, I found the fly episode just so excruciating that I couldn't help but FF just to get through it already.

But I wouldn't be so quick to write this off as a filler episode just yet, because it goes to the heart of a very real issue for Jimmy/Saul/Gene: no matter where in the country he goes, there's the danger that someone will recognize him from his ABQ days. That's something I'd already been wondering whether they would address, and how.

"Gene" got away with it this time because the elaborate setup of the store burglary (they called it a "robbery", but it was really a break-in and I didn't see any force or coercion being used) was all designed to checkmate Jeff the cab driver, who'd made him in an earlier episode. Jeff can't narc on "Saul" now, because "Gene" has got him dead to rights on multiple felonies worth decades of time, particularly since Jeff is on mall video in the act.

So, I'm thinking the whole idea that "Saul" is always one step from being made again is going to come up at least once more, and who knows, maybe Jeff will come back and have a hand in the series' final resolution, whatever that may be.

I did enjoy the reference Saul made when Jeff started casting doubt on the whole burglary plan during the practice run, saying the whole thing sounds crazy: "Do you know what's crazy? A 50-year-old chemistry teacher walks into my office; the guy is so broke he can't pay his mortgage. One year later, he's got a pile of cash as big as a Volkswagen."

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, chasfh said:

I did enjoy the reference Saul made when Jeff started casting doubt on the whole burglary plan during the practice run, saying the whole thing sounds crazy: "Do you know what's crazy? A 50-year-old chemistry teacher walks into my office; the guy is so broke he can't pay his mortgage. One year later, he's got a pile of cash as big as a Volkswagen."

The next episode is titled "Breaking Bad" 

so that's a confirmation that it's the Walt and Jesse episode since the first time Saul appeared on BB was title was "Better Call Saul".

It will not be a cameo.  I think it's going to be significant and will lead to a distinct shift of some sort.  

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

so that's a confirmation that it's the Walt and Jesse episode since the first time Saul appeared on BB was title was "Better Call Saul".

It will not be a cameo.  I think it's going to be significant and will lead to a distinct shift of some sort.  

I agree...I think the majority of next weeks episode will be Walt and Jesse, giving some back story to some significant part of BB that they never got to tell.  Jimmy will be there for part of it, but I think the episode will be mostly Walt and Jesse.

I am starting to wonder if the next Gene episode we get will be a big FF, showing Jimmy starting a new con in some new town.  Killing Jimmy off feels a bit obvious, but I know that would probably get the biggest fan reaction.  I think I would be a little bummed out if he died...Walt dying really did nothing for me.  I half expected it.

It is going to be interesting to see what they decided to do with the ending for Jimmy.

I also thought it was a little funny that the guy who made Jimmy thought that score he made was so huge.  I mean what is he going to walk away with?  It was hard to keep up with how much stuff they got away with...when they looked at the suits they thought they could get 500.00 each of them.  3 suits, 1500.00 split 2 ways.  Maybe they walk away with 10k?  Maybe 20k?  Was that really going to change that guys life?  

I would assume if we had a few more episodes than we do, that he comes back to Jimmy because he is greedy.  Wants more, somehow forces Jimmy to help him do it again.  Becomes a REAL problem that Jimmy has to solve...maybe going as far as having to off the guy.  Has Jimmy killed anyone himself?  Sounds like a stupid question, but I cannot recall if Jimmy ever actually pulls the trigger on another person.  In either series.

Ill leave the predictions to you guys but I loved the last episode.   It sets the stage for the big decision from Gene.  

Does he continue his boring life as essentially a ghost, which he truthfully talked about while trying to get the security guy from turning around.  Does he revert back to the Saul lifestyle and risk his safety for the fulfillment that he really wants in life.     He really loved getting back in the game but knows that it could get him killed.    At the end, he walked away from the Saul Goodman clothes as a sign that he knew that he had to go back to life as Gene but he was definitely torn.   It don’t think it would take much to get him to flip and morph from Gene Tackovic into something else even if it kills him.   

Edited by Hongbit

The Breaking Bad title could be a trick though.   We surely didn't think "After all that, a happy ending" was about a fake missing dog.    Some have suggested that there have been still shots released of Jeff from this next episode and that story isn't quite done yet.  

I think when Walt & Jessie do show up it's going to be Breaking Bad events from Saul's point of view, so I don't think it will be mostly Walt & Jessie.   I think Tuco and the Twins play a part in this episode and that's why Saul is so scared over the Lalo thing (It wasn't me, It was Ignacio,  no Lalo?  no Lalo?).  Saul's gonna think he's been kidnapped by the Twins.   We'll see some Breaking Bad scenes, but re-shot so the aging isn't so noticeable.  

Speaking of Jeff.................

Would anyone still be after him on the drug trade side of things?  Is it just the feds he has to worry about?  I assume he's still got a big pile of cash to draw from?

I'm excited because these writers have never let us down have they?  

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

Would anyone still be after him on the drug trade side of things?  Is it just the feds he has to worry about?  I assume he's still got a big pile of cash to draw from?

I would guess the DEA would really be after him for his part in Hank & Gomez' death and since they never got Jessie.......   

I know we are going to find out what happens with Kim

I don't think we'll see Gus again.   Gus & Jimmy never met in the BB timeline, only briefly in BCS.  

Did they ever confirm Walt died?    Maybe the feds catch Jessie somehow in Alaska and that exposes Ed the Vacuum Cleaner Guy and going through his records they find Saul's fake identity.   

I wish this show had more than 3 episodes left. 

On 7/28/2022 at 11:47 AM, oblong said:

Huell?

1 hour ago, Edman85 said:

Huell?

Well Huell turned States' witness when he saw Jessie's cow brains picture.   What about Kuby (Bill Burr)?     He couldn't appear a couple seasons ago on BCS because he was shooting a movie.  

Maybe all the Nazi's weren't killed by Walt.  Maybe not all of them were there at the compound. 

Maybe Lydia lived once she found it was Ricin and she knows too much. 

Maybe Jessie gets discovered in Alaska.  

The old man in Tucumcari died and left his house & land to Kim and that is where she lives.   She runs a doggie daycare there.  

Maybe Marion learns the truth about Gene and puts him on the run again.   You don't mess with Marion. 

♫ I'm so glad we had this time together........just to have a laugh or sing a song ♫ 

(You'd probably have to be 55 or over to understand that lyric).