The Better Call Saul (Don't look until you're caught up) Thread

I saw a breakdown of the muffled conversation in the phone booth when he tried to call Kim

Jimmy:   What happened, everything get straightened out? 

Other Voice:  Ah, we had a problem and we tried to do everything we could

Jimmy: Whaddaya mean? 

Voice: You know what I mean, she's gone, and we couldn't do nothing about it, that's it

Jimmy: Whaddaya mean, whaddaya mean? 

Voice: She's.....uh........She's gone...........that's it.  

Why was Gene running his latest scam?   Just for the money?   A response to all his money being gone?   A way to forget Kim? 

Next episode,  Gene gets caught in the house of the Cancer Guy................he sobs his way out of it saying that he was worried the guy was drinking and taking those meds, and he went to see if he was okay...................Cancer Guy's dead, barbiturate overdose, but they won't know that right away, allowing Gene to make his escape.    For now. 

Something in the Kim call triggered him.  Did he find out she didn't want to see him?  Did something happen to her?  Does she need money?

I forget Saul's involvement in BB as it relates to Gus and Walt?  Did that sequence change anything that we thought we knew?  Or was it just to serve as a parallel?

Hearing Jesse say "Lalo" was very cool.  I got goosebumps. 

22 minutes ago, oblong said:

Something in the Kim call triggered him.  Did he find out she didn't want to see him?  Did something happen to her?  Does she need money?

I forget Saul's involvement in BB as it relates to Gus and Walt?  Did that sequence change anything that we thought we knew?  Or was it just to serve as a parallel?

I don't know, I think it was just kind of a nod to BB (that, with the episode title).  So far it does nothing for the show.     It just shows how he figured out who they were, it gets a Mike scene in there.     I don't know that it added anything at all.     It kind of felt forced.  I didn't like it, the show didn't need to do it (unless something comes of it later).  I doubt anyone is watching BCS that isn't 100% familiar with Breaking Bad.    Maybe some angle comes up that we didn't realize before......something to do with both men having cancer (that seemed to be the hook). 

Kim working for a sprinkler company in Florida?   Yeah, that's a sad ending right now.   

It's gonna be Marion that brings this guy down. LOL  (though she is not listed in the credits for the last two episodes, but that doesn't mean anything.    He deserves to go down.   Ripping off a cancer patient, what a dick.  

I don't think we'll see Gus again...................or maybe just one scene with Mike where he discusses who Walt his and tries to talk him out of working with him.    We might get to see Gale again.  

I'm starting to blur Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad. I know there was a scene in one of the two shows where Gale is setting up the lab and Gus asks him about the blue meth and Gale talks about how pure it is and fears he can't replicate it. I feel this is the moment Gus decides to get Walt to cook for him and puts Mike out to make it happen who works through Saul. I also believe at this time Tuco is dead and the cousins are after Walt. 

49 minutes ago, oblong said:

I thought the call didn’t have anything to do with Kim and that was just a code that he had set up to check on one of hidden money spots.   He got upset when he realized the feds had compromised that one too.   The hidden money is gone and all he has left is what’s stashed in his house and that has dwindled down to nothing.   

I don’t see him as Gene Takovic anymore.  He’s the later version of Saul Goodman still in disguise as Gene.   Everything has changed with his mindset even to the point where he gets emotional and reckless and chooses to go back and do the last heist even when so much of the plan was blown.  Gene wouldn’t have done that.  He was careful and very detailed.   Saul is not.   Can’t wait to see how things play out from here.  

Edited by Hongbit

13 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I thought the call didn’t have anything to do with Kim and that was just a code that he had set up to check on one of hidden money spots.   He got upset when he realized the feds had compromised that one too.   The hidden money is gone and all he has left is what’s stashed in his house and that has dwindled down to nothing.   

I don’t see him as Gene Takovic anymore.  He’s the later version of Saul Goodman still in disguise as Gene.   Everything has changed with his mindset even to the point where he gets emotional and reckless and chooses to go back and do the last heist even when so much of the plan was blown.  Gene wouldn’t have done that.  He was careful and very detailed.   Saul is not.   Can’t wait to see how things play out from here.  

wow, good theory on that being a cover for the money.  

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I think that showed that at the beginning of the scene he still had a feeling Lalo was out there and realizing Jessie has no idea who Lalo is, he now knows for certain he's dead because Jessie would have heard of him.    I don't even think at that point Walt & Jessie knew that Hector was a major player. 

Franceska sarcasrically asking if they have internet in Nebraska to look up what happened to these people and then Carol Burnett hooked on YouTube cat videos just makes me think she plays a role in the downfall. Especially her seeing the goings on downstairs near the end.

19 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

Franceska sarcasrically asking if they have internet in Nebraska to look up what happened to these people and then Carol Burnett hooked on YouTube cat videos just makes me think she plays a role in the downfall. Especially her seeing the goings on downstairs near the end.

Maybe she stumbles on one of his Better Call Saul ads on Youtube. That is after all how the son found out about Saul. 

I could have done without all the cameos to this point. Not that it ruined it for me or anything, but it just felt forced, like they felt they had to show Jessie and Walt to appease their audience, when BCS is doing just fine on its own.

If they do something with it, that substantially changes the way we think about BB, that may change my mind.

6 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I could have done without all the cameos to this point. Not that it ruined it for me or anything, but it just felt forced, like they felt they had to show Jessie and Walt to appease their audience, when BCS is doing just fine on its own.

If they do something with it, that substantially changes the way we think about BB, that may change my mind.

Well I do think it showed us something.  Saul/Gene had two opportunities we know of to not go hard.  The Walt/Jesse scene was there so that Mike could come in and tell him about Walter and that he should just forget about him.  He's dangerous.  Saul ignored him.  In the "present" he was told to not go after the cancer guy at the bar and he was given the choice again and he ignored it.

If Saul took Mike's advice how different would have things played out for everyone in the show?

• Like 1