5/24 7:40 Tigers @ Twins

Tigeraholic1

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Since 2016 every year Grossman had an obp of .337 or higher with many of those years being .360 or higher so even though he struggled this year he had a 7 year stretch of getting on base at a solid to plus rate. Ill put more stock in that then a bad 4 or 5 week stretch to start this year. 

that fine, no one said cut him, just minimize his ABs until he looks more like that guy again. Guy's careers hit walls all the time, it happens. You never know, so guys have to prove it every year.

Edited by gehringer_2

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think these kinds of slumps are often caused by minor injuries that we don't know about.  It depends on who it is though.  If Mike Trout has a bad year, they are going to stay with him all year.  If it's Javier Baez and you know he's extremely streaky anyway you stay with him.  If it's someone with no track record, you remove him immediately.  If it's Grossman who has been pretty good but not great and has reached an age where many players go into decline, it's a judgement call.  

sure, this too.

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Since 2016 every year Grossman had an obp of .337 or higher with many of those years being .360 or higher so even though he struggled this year he had a 7 year stretch of getting on base at a solid to plus rate. Ill put more stock in that then a bad 4 or 5 week stretch to start this year. 

I do too, but he is 32 so it could be the beginning of a decline.  There isn't really anyone to replace him though, so I think there is no reason to stop playing him.   

5 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I do too, but he is 32 so it could be the beginning of a decline.  There isn't really anyone to replace him though, so I think there is no reason to stop playing him.   

Think about Cabrera last year, everyone was writing him off in April and trying to figure out how they were going to buy him out - based on 60 terrible AB up to` May 7. Then came about 80 not great but clearly better AB, then about a final 375 AB were he was clearly an asset to the team. So even with Cabrera the calls to dump him began before even 100 AB. Sure, he is a lot older and we know more about the nature of his injuries - but in that case I was on the other side - surprised at how quick people were to write him off.

Grossman is a Hinch guy, so the chances he gets bounced before his contract is up are zero.

But, by that token, his production is killing this team right now. Probably more than everyone else at this particular juncture... and it's hard to see them having a functional offensive without him performing.

who would be a better leadoff hitter right now?

everyone on this team has been terrible, grossman included.  

they started off very poorly last year and improved, the same will likely happen this year.  given their injuries, maybe not.  but i assume grossman, candy, baez, schoop, will all get better as the season goes on.

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Grossman is a Hinch guy, so the chances he gets bounced before his contract is up are zero.

But, by that token, his production is killing this team right now. Probably more than everyone else at this particular juncture... and it's hard to see them having a functional offensive without him performing.

That's what I remember, that Grossman only came here because of Hinch and was specifically recruited by Hinch.  So, let's not include him in the "crap players that Avila gave Hinch to work with".  Sit him down for a week, play Clemens instead, and lead off anybody. 

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's what I remember, that Grossman only came here because of Hinch and was specifically recruited by Hinch.  So, let's not include him in the "crap players that Avila gave Hinch to work with".  Sit him down for a week, play Clemens instead, and lead off anybody. 

Remember, when someone is going well it's because of HInch.  If someone is doing poorly, it's because Avila gave Hinch crap players to work with.